Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#22406 - 07/11/06 12:29 PM Escarpment Trail Race
ScottR Offline
journeyman

Give up the details. Website. Anyone ?

#22407 - 07/11/06 12:57 PM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: ScottR]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
Escarpment Trail website

Starts at the north end on Route 23 and finishes at North South Lake Campground 18 miles and umpteen feet of elevation gain later.
The only reason I started running trail marathons and ultras was to qualify for this race. Of course, now I am hooked on racing but I think this will be my favourite.
The race organizer is a cool guy, too.

#22408 - 08/01/06 05:36 PM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: The Lisa]
korona Offline
journeyman

Loc: NoVA
Any idea how Escarpment compares to Jay Mtn Marathon? They're the same weekend. I ran (walked, crawled, and swam) Jay on Saturday and had a blast. The most enjoyable 30 miles I can remember. I am considering the 3 day Jay challenge next year but would also like to hear more about Escarpment.

#22409 - 08/01/06 08:45 PM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: korona]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
I would love to do Jay too - well done on finishing it and still enjoying it. The ET was a great day out. It is 'only' 18 miles but expect to do it in marathon time. The rough rocky and rooty terrain never lets up, not even when ascending and descending the big climbs. Expect to climb 4,500' or so over the whole course and descend the same amount.
I am writing up a race report - stay tuned.

#22410 - 08/02/06 05:49 PM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: The Lisa]
korona Offline
journeyman

Loc: NoVA
Lisa, I'm looking forward to race report. Sounds like a challenging run. The only rocks at Jay were the ones under 2 feet of water (the race had 2-3 miles of stream running).

Too bad Jay and ET are the same weekend. One shouldn't have to choose between two great races!

Next up: Dances with Dirt in Hell, Michigan. Trying to decide between the 50k and the 50mi.

#30747 - 07/02/07 01:24 PM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: korona]
felix m Offline
journeyman

"Due to a stroke of bad luck, your entry into the 31st Escarpment Trail Run has been accepted" Anyone else going on the 29th? It took me almost a year to recover from last years run.

#30778 - 07/03/07 02:22 PM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: felix m]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
 Originally Posted By: felix m
"Due to a stroke of bad luck, your entry into the 31st Escarpment Trail Run has been accepted" Anyone else going on the 29th? It took me almost a year to recover from last years run.

haha! good luck, Felix! Did you con Breilman into doing it with you? (tell him I still have his stopper that I fished out of Unconquerable Crack that day at Ragged).

Les

#30799 - 07/04/07 07:11 AM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: felix m]
Lynn Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY
Did you apply for that letter or did it arrive automatically? I was thinking about going again this year but I've been training more on the bike than on my feet. It'll probably take me a lot more than a day to recover... and there's also the Swim Across next day..

#30952 - 07/10/07 10:59 AM Re: Escarpment Trail Race [Re: Lynn]
felix m Offline
journeyman

Lynn; the letters went out early June to all those who completed ETR in past 2 years. I think registration is open until the 20th.Try EscarpmentTrail@aol.com - go for it

Les, great running into you at ragged awhile back and climbing again - always fun.
Yeah, it's never all that difficult to talk Harry Brielmann into something. I can remmeber once upon a time a bunch of us climbed at this little crag in Armonk, NY after work. One evening to improve are "heads" for taking leader falls we led a route, left in the high piece and than started jumping off the top. By increasing the amount of slack we pulled up we gradually increase the fall lentgh to the point of some big whippers on a relatively short crag. Harry was the last to go and pulled up an enormous a mount of rope. We told him no problem and of course he jumped and soft cratered into the ground. But Harry would always walk away just laughing. That kind of guy.
As far as the ETR goes we will again have our work cut out for us.This is a very difficult& interesting trail to runand last year we both failed at meeting our modest goal of breaking 5 hours. Interesting people, these trail runners remind me of the fringe element that once made up the climbing community.The better runners are amazing athletes. A very well organized event and the volunteers are tremendous.
felix

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored