Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (Rickster, Cornell Climber), 6 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4
Topic Options
#22643 - 09/06/06 02:12 PM Re: Preserve Property Tax or Lack Thereof [Re: RangerRob]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
But knowing that everyone else in my town now had to take up the slack for me not paying would make me feel like shit. I think that is Kents point.

Was Kent a Gardiner landowner prior to 1971?

If so, then *maybe* he has a beef (35 years too late , but whatever).

If not, then I think he's a little late for the pity party.

Your volunteer firefighter analogy is totally inapplicable.
(besides, my brother is a volunteer firefighter, and I KNOW the only reason he does it is to hang out and drink beer w/ the other firefighters at the firehouse )

Wonderful that those folks *choose* to do those things.
Others might coach Little League, or volunteer at the Library, or whatever. Or not.

Has ZERO to do with paying your legally mandated property taxes.

#22644 - 09/06/06 02:20 PM Re: Preserve Property Tax or Lack Thereof [Re: MurphysLaw]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
So what is the real tax burden of land that Mohonk P owns to the town of Gardiner?

Fire (To some extent such as Visitors Center, yet major forest fires fall under the control of the state DEC)
Road traffic (which would be low considering the major routes in and out of the preserve are state roads)
Other Public services?

I’m under the impression they are paying some tax as of right now. What is the fair amount to cover their burden? The real question that would need to be addressed is: Does the land that Mohonk makes exempt from taxes cause the tax burden to increase on other tax paying people of Gardiner?

#22645 - 09/07/06 12:59 AM Re: Preserve Property Tax or Lack Thereof [Re: Smike]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Murph, so what you are saying is that if the town or state, or federal government said that you in particular didn't have to pay your share you would just stop paying, and have no remorse or guilty conscience about everyone else paying your share?? If so.....that's pretty sad. I hope you're not the type of guy who would continue to pour beer out of the group pitcher and never buy one.

RR

P.S. the firefighter was directly related to payment of taxes, but it shows willingness to do ones share of the work.

#22646 - 09/07/06 02:21 AM Re: Preserve Property Tax or Lack Thereof [Re: RangerRob]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
RR:
But knowing that everyone else in my town now had to take up the slack for me not paying would make me feel like shit. I think that is Kents point.

I think Kents point is something to the effect that they went back and “reneged” on prior statements made or something like that. Which makes them demon seeds of Lord Fairweather.

If I was paying full taxes on 6200 acres of land when 99.99% is vacant (ops....natural and undeveloped ) and the town sent me a letter saying I did not have to pay taxes against the undeveloped land, I would be happier then a pig n sh*t, and I would still be able to stop over to your house and drink your beer

Bottom line: If the best interest of the town of Gardiner is to extract the full amount of tax value from all its land, then it would be in the best interest for the preserve to not leave its land undeveloped….nuff said

#22647 - 09/12/06 01:27 AM Re: Preserve Property Tax or Lack Thereof [Re: MurphysLaw]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
From Murph: "IF Gardiner passed some sort of legislation next year that stipulated that "all whiners named Kent could stop paying property taxes" , would you keep mailing in your check?"

Please run for town board.

Also from Murph: "Was Kent a Gardiner landowner prior to 1971?
If so, then *maybe* he has a beef (35 years too late , but whatever).
If not, then I think he's a little late for the pity party. "

Who wants pity? F*&! pity! What I want is for the Preserve to have the moxie to walk their talk, even when the law doesn't require them to, even when it requires sacrifice. That would earn them some trust.

From Smike: "If I was paying full taxes on 6200 acres of land when 99.99% is vacant (ops....natural and undeveloped ) and the town sent me a letter saying I did not have to pay taxes against the undeveloped land, I would be happier then a pig n sh*t, and I would still be able to stop over to your house and drink your beer."

Many people in town have undeveloped land. It's taxed at a lower rate than their developed land but still, it generates far more tax revenue for the town than the Preserve's undeveloped land.

Edited by Kent (09/12/06 11:14 AM)

#22648 - 09/12/06 12:30 PM Re: Campbell Parcel [Re: Kent]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
Kent -

Back on the OT, do you know how much OSI paid for the 5.3 acre Campbell parcel? I thought I saw that somewhere, but can't find it now.

#22649 - 09/12/06 12:37 PM Re: Campbell Parcel [Re: pda]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
I believe it was $75,000., or approximately $15K an acre.

#22650 - 09/12/06 01:43 PM Re: Campbell Parcel [Re: Kent]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
Thanks.

Page 4 of 4 < 1 2 3 4

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored