Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#22694 - 08/02/06 07:13 PM Tag line vs. haul line
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Having only done one wall, i was thinking of investing in a haul line. What diameter do I need? I've also done a little canyoneering and plan to get a dry rope in case I get back to that again. Will a 6 mm line do or would this be too small for most ascenders/pulleys when setting up a haul? Hoping some of you wall rats are taking a little time off with the heat and can relate some experience.

#22695 - 08/02/06 07:17 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: chip]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
It will be too small for a haul line.

My petzl ascender works on ropes from 8mm to 12mm. I'd recommend 11mm if you're really really scared and / or you're on INCREDIBLY abrasive rock.

I've used 8.8mm on limestone extensively with no problems.

#22696 - 08/02/06 07:28 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: chip]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I've also done a little canyoneering and plan to get a dry rope in case I get back to that again.

Even "dry" ropes absorb way too much water for canyoneering - standard now is a very tightly woven polyester rope. A good canyoneering rope will also be very static whereas you want a dynamic rope for a wall haul line. (Unless you enjoy the thought of watching your dropped 125lb haul bag falling 60 meters and hitting your anchors on a static line!)

Imlay canyoneering ropes

#22697 - 08/02/06 10:02 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: chip]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
I just picked up a 10mm (3/8") sterling superstatic. seems pretty nice but have yet to use it. in the shopping process i found that edleweiss makes a low stretch rope. essentially a static rope but is rated for factor 1 falls so it seems liek a nice compromise between the full static and dynamic ropes

didn't seem al that expensive either. check out liberty mountain for them

#22698 - 08/02/06 11:47 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: MarcC]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
marc, most folks doing walls use static lines. the solution is not to drop your bag to the end of the rope - if you are doing that you definitely shouldn't be on a wall in the first place. i prefer hauling with static lines if the bags are really heavy, but it doesn't really matter if you are hauling less than 100 pounds or so.

6mm would be madness, and 11mm is overkill. i use 10mm lines, mostly because they look stronger than 9mm lines and i find that makes a difference when you are jugging out in space way the hell off the ground. 9mm is fine too, but i tend to really beat up on ropes so i like the extra margin.

light 6mm lines are good for tag lines, which are nice to have if you are doing long pitches. i prefer using a bit thicker tag line that i could use for an oh shit emergency lead rope.

#22699 - 08/03/06 06:25 AM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: andrew]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
For hauling on walls, I've used a 9mm to 10mm cord. Anything skinnier would give me the willies to jug if I needed to do that.

I also recently bought an 8mm 60m that I carry when I am soloing but need/want to rappel off (think 3rd Flatiron) or need doubles to rap but don't want to deal with leading on doubles (think The Diamond).

#22700 - 08/03/06 04:33 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: andrew]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

marc, most folks doing walls use static lines. the solution is not to drop your bag to the end of the rope - if you are doing that you definitely shouldn't be on a wall in the first place.

I agree, but shit happens all the time, even to experienced folks, so it is a consideration. I mean, even PTPP mananged to unintentionally jettison a bag on what, his 20th or 25th El Cap wall? And my friend Bob in the 80's, due to a major clusterf--k at a belay, did manage to drop a bag a full pitch on the Trip, his 9th wall. It was on a dynamic 10.5mm and did pull out a pin from the anchor.

Quote:

i prefer hauling with static lines if the bags are really heavy, but it doesn't really matter if you are hauling less than 100 pounds or so.

Yep. Back in the day we usually didn't have a lot of choice as we typically had to beg or borrow gear (that's how half my pin rack made an ascent of the NAW without me). The haul line was almost always someone's old retired lead line. Only NYC doctors and lawyers could afford a specialized static line!

#22701 - 08/03/06 08:44 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: MarcC]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
yea but pete didn't actually have the bag connected so it didn't matter if it was dynamic or not

#22702 - 08/03/06 09:03 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: CrackBoy]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh, I realize that. I was just pointing out that you don't have to be a n00b to do something dumb!

BTW, there's a thread over at the bigwalls.net forum that just happens to be about haul rope diameter and static vs dynamic. A lot of the supertaco regulars post there.

#22703 - 08/04/06 12:39 PM Re: Tag line vs. haul line [Re: MarcC]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Thanks for the input.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored