Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#23448 - 08/28/06 03:35 PM Your choice for small cams
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
So, there's another thread about alien failures over on rc.com. Apparently another orange alien. I've been using the black through yellow aliens for quite some time now and have grown to love them. However, I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of continuing my love affair. This recent failure was apparently another brazing failure and it was on a cam that did NOT have the dimple.

Does anyone know of a small cam that is just as useful in small placements but won't have me second-guessing it? Anybody used the new C3s enough to give a good review?

#23449 - 08/28/06 04:32 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: intrepid02]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
ballnuts?

Not strictly cams, but they're active pro, small sizes, and they stick like nothing on earth.

In fact, if you fall on one, getting it out can be a lot of fun............

If you wanna get rid of your aliens, PM me.....

#23450 - 08/28/06 04:42 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: intrepid02]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
but if yo uhave been using them for some time, its probably safe to say that the cams are fine, the problems seem to be with teh ones purchased in the last year or so

#23451 - 08/28/06 04:51 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: intrepid02]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Quote:

So, there's another thread about alien failures over on rc.com. Apparently another orange alien. I've been using the black through yellow aliens for quite some time now and have grown to love them. However, I'm beginning to doubt the wisdom of continuing my love affair. This recent failure was apparently another brazing failure and it was on a cam that did NOT have the dimple.

Does anyone know of a small cam that is just as useful in small placements but won't have me second-guessing it? Anybody used the new C3s enough to give a good review?

I got an awesome birthday present of one of the new C3s . I have yet to place it but I'm already starting to wonder how over engineered it is. It appears to have very little flex in it if placed vertically. I'll let you know what I think when I get out and use it...

#23452 - 08/28/06 04:56 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: CrackBoy]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
I'm never using any new cams without a hard bounce test first.

Ball Nutz are great, but they're not cams, and I'm not sure I want them bigger than like a number 3 or 4. TCUs are fine, but I prefer single stems to U stems. Zeros suck. That leaves Aliens as the top choice for me. Heard a rumour that they've been sold to Camp. Hope it's true.

GO

#23453 - 08/28/06 05:30 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: CrackBoy]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
The alleged failed cam was from 2004, which is a pre-recall cam. This is signficant, because if it did fail, then any Alien, dimpled or not, is suspect.

Half my aliens are from '02 and have seen falls. The other half is from 04 and one from 05 and none of these have, as far as I know, taken any falls. I've pull tested these and so far all have held up, although I'm doing further, higher force tests. If they pull to half their rating, I'll be satisfied.

#23454 - 08/28/06 07:38 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: quanto_the_mad]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I think that you can make a good case for the C3s and have found that they can often be used where you might otherwise need a hybrid alien, like on Birdland, but don't see a huge advantage with them on most gunks routes so far. It would be hard to part with my blue alien.

#23455 - 08/28/06 07:42 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: GOclimb]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
I wouldn't want huge ballnuts either, but the #1-#3 cover the small end of "small cam" size range.

Why do you dislike Zeros? I only have one, the Yellow, but I've placed it a few times, and been fairly happy with it. Admittedly never fallen on it........

#23456 - 08/28/06 08:13 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: irisharehere]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I like the WC Zeros, but I wouldn't want to take a big fall on one. The trigger bars are a bit stubby, I think they were lengthened last year. They're light so I carry the yellow and blue.

#23457 - 08/28/06 08:39 PM Re: Your choice for small cams [Re: learningtolead]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quote:

Quote:

I got an awesome birthday present of one of the new C3s . I have yet to place it but I'm already starting to wonder how over engineered it is. It appears to have very little flex in it if placed vertically. I'll let you know what I think when I get out and use it...

What a great gift, I wonder if the provider of said gift can 'try' it out too..

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored