Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#23824 - 09/15/06 01:15 PM Re: Training Run/Maps [Re: webmaster]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Thanks for the input, if anyone wants to join me for any part that would be great.

This will be my 7th marathon, although my peak was 15 years ago when I ran 2:50 in New York and I ran 2:48 a few years before that in Houston. Now I am just an old has been. The debate in my running group now is, is it better to be a has been or never was. I will follow up in AAG.

Thanks for the input, I think you're right Talus, in the end I will do it on time, planning on 8 minute miles and planning to stop after 3 hours at the most.

Evan, thanks for the input, I will definitely look up the running shoe store folks, they will probably know best.

The problem with all this training is that it tightens you up and doesn't leave any time for climbing, oh well.

Later,

D

#23825 - 09/17/06 06:08 PM Re: Training Run/Maps [Re: Fraser]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Saturday turned out to be a perfect day for running, although the trails were a bit muddy.

I started out from the West Trapps lot, and after stretching and taking care of business I started the clock from the Trapps Bridge. The trail up to Minnewaska is really nice running. I felt great, on the way back struggling up the long steady incline I figured out why.

After the easy start, it was up hill for several miles, some steeper than others. Awosting Falls was raging (as was Ken's Crack). There is a sign that says 3 miles to Minnewaska (2.8) at the parking lot for West Trapps. However, I think with the switchbacks and meandering path its probably a bit longer to the first gate house. I then ran to the Lower Awosting lot and then up to Lake Awosting. Again, it seemed like it was uphill the whole way, some sections worse than others.

The last time I drove up to the Gunks and ran around the Undercliff/Overcliff I pulled my calf muscle. I think the combination of driving and running is hard on my old legs. My calf was tight through the up hill sections, but it didn't pop. After about 10 miles it eased up a bit.

I took the Hamilton carriageway back. Awesome views and not too many people. On the way back I saw a sign for Beacon Hill carriageway and figured it must be another way down. Doh!

It was a dead end at the end of 1/2 mile down hill road. I turned around and ran up the 1/2 mile again to the road. Back down to the Awosting Falls road and then back to the bridge.

I thought I would have plenty of time to do overcliff/undercliff, but with my diversions, I got back to my car after 3 hours.

After talking to several people, a runner I met in the lot, and some of the rangers, I think it is about 12 miles around Lake Awosting the way I ran it (including the 1 mile wrong turn), plus the 6 or so to the car I would give myself about 18+ miles, which was plenty. I didn't want to do 23.

The running was great although my knee is pretty sore today, I am hoping that will go away...

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored