Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#24195 - 09/25/06 10:59 PM Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC?
yeti Offline
stranger

Loc: Newburgh NY
Hey everyone, im new here, but i just wanted to run this idea past you all--

I am an adjunct faculty member at OCCC in Middletown, and apparently the only one there who is interested in climbing...so when i found out that there might be money in the budget to invest in the PE facility, i suggested a climbing wall in one of the old raquetball courts. Turns out the suits like the idea, but are still a bit uncertain about the interest it would generate. I feel pretty confident that it will go through regardless but when and to what extent depends largely on local sentiment.

To give you a rough idea of what we would be working with, we are estimating that we could fit about 15 climbers at a time. That is, of course, if we only re-do one court. If there is reason to believe we could really make it fly from a financial angle we might be able to make it bigger, and eventually try to incorporate outdoor climbing trips and classes.

Alot of this is still conjecture at this point but im hoping i can get some feedback from some of you about if youd be interested and what we might look into as far as fundraising.

thanks

#24196 - 09/25/06 11:38 PM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: yeti]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I'm a former long-time native of Goshen, lived in Middletown for a few years as well.

I'm assuming that, like the pool, it would be open to the public at certain times (otherwise I don't see the point of asking).

It would be convenient, I'm there one weekend a month or so. My son (who lives in Mdltn with his mom) climbs with me at the Gunks, but none of his friends climb; I think he would love the chance to bring his friends to a gym and introduce them to climbing at a gym. One of the ex's friends has a son who we've taken to a gym once, the friend mentioned he would like to get his kid doing more active things (as opposed to sitting in front of the TV playing xbox), but the existing gyms are just too far away.

So there's probably be a lot of interest, at least for kids, I don't know about adults. Probably a good introduction for the students.

#24197 - 09/26/06 01:52 AM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
The YMCA in Poughkeepsie converted one of their R-ball courts to a climbing wall several years ago. You or someone from the Ath. Dept might want to go see it. It's mostly for kids' parties but it's a decent wall that could entertain "real climbers" too.

#24198 - 09/26/06 02:41 AM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: yeti]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
From what I hear from climbing wall owners, the real money is in the birthday parties.

How high would the routes be?

Jannette

#24199 - 09/26/06 11:53 AM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: yeti]
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
i live in cornwall, so i'd definitely try it out

#24200 - 09/26/06 02:04 PM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: yeti]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
I learned to climb at a university rock gym and think that even if there isn't a large community of climbers now, one very well may develop. I suggest you get in touch with managers of gyms at colleges and universities in the region to discuss the plans for this gym and its potential for producing revenue and interested climbers. I think they'd be able to help out and help you avoid common mistakes.

#24201 - 09/26/06 03:18 PM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: learningtolead]
edpav Offline
stranger

Loc: Mass
The YMCA in Worcester MA has also converted a court (squash?) to a climbing gym. Easily holds >15 people, despite also holding desk., magazines, some shoes and harnesses. Limited overhanging terrain, so it tends to be crimpy. (No room for the big top rope swings!)

#24202 - 09/26/06 11:10 PM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: edpav]
yeti Offline
stranger

Loc: Newburgh NY
thanks for the input.

it would be about 35-40 feet high if we put it in the raquetball court. Once the project is approved we will probably discuss the layout (bouldering cave, overhangs etc). The company we are considering dealing with is pyramide (www.climbpyramide.com) if any of you are familiar and have dealt with them.

We would try to facilitate birthday parties, public use and classes for interested students. The "gimmick" for lack of a better term, with the pyramide wall is that it is assembled in panel sections which have 4 orientations ranging from easiest to most difficult. The entire wall can be reconfigured literally over night to match the projected expertise of the clientele.

Anyhow, thanks again, and i will keep updating so that you all know what the status is. Im quite sure that the soonest it would be operational would be the summer time, so its still a little ways off but all the info we collect now will expedite the process.

#24203 - 09/27/06 03:45 AM Re: Indoor Climbing Wall at OCCC? [Re: yeti]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Ahhh, those panel walls are probably the same kind that are at Chelsea Piers in Manhattan. I thought all the various features on the surfaces were pretty cool. There was 1 spot in the Chelsea Field House that was a corner - and you could stem your way up just using the thin features and no holds at all. That was a fun change of pace from what is usually available at a climbing gym.

Jannette

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored