Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#24258 - 09/29/06 03:25 PM gunks trail marathon
felix m Offline
journeyman

for those interested we will be running the second annual Wagathon on Sunday, November 12.
Meet at Sam's Point Preserve Parking around 8 am for the start. Finish at the steel bridge over the Wallkill in New Paltz, within crawling distance of the Otter. First in buys a round for all participants.
This is a terrific event which takes in many of the highlites of the ridge. It is absolutely unofficial.
each participant is reponsible for his/ her water, aid, transportation & entry fee's into the Mohonk preserve. Miles approx. 3-8 are on rough trail/ carriage rd. & there is a rock scramble & stair climb some 20 plus miles into race.
uphill to Sam's Point, pass Lake Maratanza
High Point Carriageway north to Napanoch Point
Smilet Carriageway to Lake Awosting
Lake Awosting to Castle Point.
Castle Point to Lake Minniwaska
Lake Minniwaska to Awosting Falls & Trapps Rd. to steel bridge over 44/55
Undercliff Carriageway to Rhododendron Bridge,
Laurel Ledge Carriage way to Humpty Dumpty to left on Short Woodland.
Left onto Lake Shore Path
Lake Shore Carriageway to Spring Path
Marked rock Scramble to The Crevice & ascend
At Sky top Summit climb the Smiley Tower & look back at from where you came & forward to New Paltz.
Descend Sky Top Carriageway to Huegunot Drive (north than south)
From Woodland Bridge take Bridge Carriage way to Forest Drive
Descend Forest Drive to Lenape Lane
Lenape to Butterville Rd., quick left and right onto GateHouse
to 299 to finish Steel bridge over Wallkill (east side)

This run is estimated at over 27 miles, half our field last year got lost out in the badlands.
This is certainly not the shortest distance between 2 points but, it is a wagathon
Felix

#24259 - 09/30/06 01:21 PM Re: gunks trail marathon [Re: felix m]
johnnyred Offline
stranger

This was the most fun i had last year running.

I must admit though - i was one of the "lost ones".

The telltale sign of lostness?... after an hour and half i returned to the scene of my running partners bathroom break. the phrase "Holy $h-t!" had several meanings that day.

Felix - this year i may bike the course the day before to set-up/check-up/throw-up or whatever is necessary.

-j

#24260 - 10/01/06 09:19 PM Re: gunks trail marathon [Re: felix m]
dirt Offline
stranger

I was one of the fortunate ones who managed to complete the wagathon last year without hitch-hiking, or resorting to other questionable tactics such as those used by Zack and his cohorts. I did, however, witness Felix beg for food and water from some rich mohonk house people. They gave him some sunflower seeds, then got their kids together and backed away.

This years race should be a great one, as long as it doesn't get too crowded on the trail.

#24261 - 11/07/06 02:27 AM Re: gunks trail marathon [Re: felix m]
grubb Offline
stranger

This sounds like it could be fun. Any chance to share a ride back to Sam's point?

#24262 - 11/11/06 02:39 AM official absolutely unofficial wagathon update [Re: grubb]
felix m Offline
journeyman

weather forcast for sunday sucks,
we don't have aid stations, water stops, volunteers, or Lance.
the trail from highpoint carriage way to lake awosting is a mess
but we still go

#24263 - 11/13/06 10:10 PM Re: official absolutely unofficial wagathon update [Re: felix m]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet's hand
Hats off to the seven intrepid souls who disappered yesterday morning into the Sam's Point mist.

All but one finished this bad-ass little beauty of an ultra (off the couch, the dude made it all the way to the Mountain House!).

#24264 - 11/14/06 01:53 PM Wags Awards [Re: yorick]
felix m Offline
journeyman

quite a duel for the finish this year with a confident, but hurting CP regaining his lead from the Grubb on the final flat. these guys were well into mile 29 and going at around an 8 minute pace at the end!. great day for all and great people, participants and volunteers alike
weather turned out just fine and despite the valiant efforts of the pipc police no one got lost or dehydrated. So to the awards:
Overall Winner: C-P with atime of 5:44 anew course record. Cp finishest op 20 in Nipmuck,Escarpment as well and always about 2 hours ahead of dirt & I this year. great doing these with you.
Runner Up: the grub- didn't know this guy but the real deal. finished seconds behind and is just as responsible for course record. Great job.
Top Female: and first ever wagathon participant/ finisher with a time of 7:40. Probably lost about a half hour when thrown into shock at mile 10.5 (castle Point) as boy friend and fellow runner pulls out ring and proposes. I'm sure he felt that any gal who could endure the smiley rd. would endure anything. congrats
Gutsiest performance: Skateboarding/ rock climbing dude who's total runing history amounts to an hour on a treadmill last week. Made it to the Mt. House!
Best preserve/ Park: Mohonk hands down. real people reasonable policies- if your loaded leave them all your money when you die.
Department of Homeland Security: the MEN of the PIPC. these guys tirelessly fight to defend your lack of freedom (and they wear cute outfits). although i must admit its got to be a blast tearing up the old smiley rd. on those ATV's. No offense guys next year will make sure they leave you a six pack of beer to confiscate at castke point instead of water.
Best part of the trip: Skytop in the mist (and sorely missed - the fairest crag in all the land

Final Score: NYC Marathon: 38,000
Wagathon 7

Until the next time (unless the fundamentalist wacko's & neocons blow up the world)
long live wags

#24265 - 11/14/06 03:19 PM Re: Wags Awards [Re: felix m]
johnnyred Offline
stranger

I was there to see both Zac and John flip-mode facial expressions. John was just joggin along until I told him he was about to catch Zac... and when he did... FLIP-MODE Zac! (Aww... how sad). Then I saw Mr. Silly turn to Mr. Serious when passing John with 300 meters to the finish... FLIP-MODE John!

Man, those guys were impressive. Cars passing on the final stretch must have thought they went out for a 5k they were moving so fast.

Congrats all!
-j
ps. It will be a different story when JohnnyRed comes to town next year...

#24266 - 11/14/06 04:21 PM Re: Wags Awards [Re: johnnyred]
grubb Offline
stranger

Long live the Wagathon! Felix and Dirt are out of control. This "event'(??) is amazing. The run was a blast, well, ok, the water was less than fun - but the rest was great! The best part was the people were even more fun than the run. Cudo's to Zak for dusting me in sight of the finish. A hearty congrats to the rest of the finishers who managed to complete the course despite random engagement parties and champagne toasts. To Scott - heal fast and climb hard. Thanks to all for an amazing and enjoyable day.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored