Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#24477 - 10/09/06 06:42 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quote:

I would have to provide a conservation analysis to get a special use permit to allow parking, and get a variance from the ZBA. But if we can get all that done, I'm game.

Dam Gardiner zoning laws grrrrr.......

Given the number crawling all over the cliff this past weekend, where would you put these extra users once the short bus dropped them off? It causes NOMRNSC issues (Not On My Runout No Star Classic) Those are the best cure for those crowded weekends….

The far better solution (long term, but being negotiated slowly as we speak) is open all the ‘other white rock” in that other park. Seems they are far better to handle the overflow.

#24478 - 10/09/06 06:47 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Smike]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Agreed. Open climbing at Awosting, Sam's Point, and Minnewaska proper, and connect them to the visitors center with a second shuttle, to reduce parking issues all around, and spread the climbers out.

But of course we are all flat out dreaming. But it's a dreamy kind of day, so why not.

#24479 - 10/09/06 06:55 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kent]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
I say we should get the AMC to set it up! An AMC shuttle, only 75 cents for AMC members and $5 for non-members...

And they could bring back the belay/leader tests!!!

Of course then we would have the "Vulgarian Dept of Transit" or the Trans-VD... which could consist of old VW micro-buses and rusted out pick-up trucks...

...yup... that would be entertaining

#24480 - 10/09/06 07:16 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kent]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
A most useful bus service would be one on weekend mornings and late afternoons -- New Paltz Bus Station <--> Preserve. It would be scheduled to mesh with the Trailways schedule.

#24481 - 10/09/06 07:31 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: oenophore]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I often meet my partners at the deli, then we drive to the lot we choose. If we could legally park somewhere near there, perhaps in the empty lot across the street from the Brauhaus, we could leave 1 car parked down there and carpool. A shuttle bus seems a bit over the top to pay for and manage.

Jannette

#24482 - 10/09/06 07:46 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Jannette]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Jannette,

I think that is a common occurrence... In fact, I used to be one of the people doing the same. Have you considered, meeting in town (there are lots of great eats, refer to the evans maps and lots of parking in the morning) or maybe leaving a car at the multi-use (if your camping)?

Meeting in town saves on several levels... it saves on parking multiple cars at the preserve... saves on some gas $$, and more importantly, it saves you from eating a mediocre at best sandwich that costs as much as a six-pack of micro-brew!!!

#24483 - 10/09/06 07:52 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Jannette]
Kent Offline
old hand

The shuttle would be costly. All in, 9-12K a year. And then someone would have to be paid to drive it. That cost may seem high but the cost of a tragic accident on that stretch of road seems, to me, much higher.

Edited to add........ Of course, a shuttle may not prevent such an accident, but isn't life all about risk mitigation? Shouldn't FEMA get involved here? Where is the Department of Homeland Security? Well, actually, the DHS was just here raiding the folks in the front of the building for human trafficking, prostitution, money laundering, etc., along with the FBI and the local police department. Classy neighborhood it is.

Edited by Kent (10/09/06 08:10 PM)

#24484 - 10/09/06 08:19 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kent]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Quote:

The shuttle would be costly. All in, 9-12K a year. And then someone would have to be paid to drive it. That cost may seem high but the cost of a tragic accident on that stretch of road seems, to me, much higher.

A shuttle would be great... I'm not trying to be negative... okay, maybe a little bit... but only cause its kinda fun sometimes...

Here are some potential issues with the shuttle idea:

1) Traffic, there is no HOV lane to get to NP, it would take the shuttle way, way, way, too long on a normal peak season traffic day to perform even the shortest loop (NP -> Visitors Center)

2) Non-climbers, sure, to a climber what would be better than parking in NP and catching a shuttle up to the cliff, then returning and bieng right in downtown NP or jumping off at the MUA. But to a typical leafer or day-visitor, it's not that great, and how would they find out about it... Usually, these folks go pick (insert fruit/vegetable of choice), check out a winery, go for a "hike" (term used loosely) at the preserve and grab dinner at a local restaurant. Not easily accomplished via a shuttle.

3) Capacity, a "shuttle" usually only holds 20-25 people anything larger is going to be a full-on bus... which will cost a lot! So... you go out climb, go to catch the shuttle... and your thinking "Sweet, it's right there! No waiting" but in reality it's already full... and it's gonna be an hour (minimum) before it gets back... now your thinking "Stupid f-ing shuttle, stupid f-ing other people who aren't as good as me"

4) Cost, ok... so 9-12K, plus a driver, plus insurance, plus administration... oh and don't forget gas $$, even on bio-diesel it will get costly...

5) Access, who can ride it? Anyone? or do they have to purchase a day-pass or have a membership?

I am sure there are some other drawbacks as well, but for now that should do...

So we now have a fantasy shuttle that takes anywhere from 2-4 hours per loop, it's always crowded (even though the parking lots and overlook still look full), seems to just sit on Rt 299 forever... smells like dirt-bag (only on the weekend) climbers, and damn... I always seem to miss the last one!

I think I'll stick to driving in with my climbing partners!

#24485 - 10/09/06 08:36 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Dillbag]
Kent Offline
old hand

The 9-12k "all in" included maintenance, admin, fuel, insurance. My number could be wrong though. Dill, you raise valid points of course but some ski areas run similar shuttles, with far more people involved. Of course, they charge a gazillion dollars for a lift ticket these days. With enough interest, and some planning, a shuttle might work. Then again, it might not.

Any friends of mine are welcome to carpool from my front yard. Non-friends must offer bribes. The folks who left broken beer bottles at the end of my driveway will be used as practice patients for beginner search and rescue high angle multi-pitch lift training in FEMA's new climbing risk mitigation program.

#24486 - 10/09/06 08:40 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kent]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Quote:

...beginner search and rescue high angle multi-pitch lift training in FEMA's new climbing risk mitigation program.

Where do I sign up for that class?

And is there a shuttle service? I heard parking was tough at the last one

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored