Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#24497 - 10/10/06 07:03 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kent]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

But, providing a service to non-residents would be sort of ironic for Gardiner to do.

If I'm not mistaken, the Gardiner volunteer fire department/rescue squad responds to a high percentage of climbing accidents on the Preserve.

Of anyone who could appreciate the irony of my proposal, it should have been you, Kent, one who, in the past has complained about the fact that you have to pay for your own trash removal or take it to a landfill/transfer station yourself.

#24498 - 10/10/06 07:13 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: strat]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
I've complained about lack of garbage pick up only in relation to the high level of taxation, and if my memory serves me correctly, only in a private message to you, not on this board. The cost of garbage pickup is very minor in the grand scheme of things. But Gardiner does have pretty high property taxes and very few services.

This has nothing to do with whether or not Gardiner provides services to out of towners.

#24499 - 10/10/06 07:54 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Julie]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

I was not even going to mention the overlooks, put yeah, I saw the Vanagons as well... that was pretty rude of them, especially blocking a spot so they could have a 'patio'...

The upper overlook was full on my way up in the morning... that the lower one was full again in the afternoon... BTW, what is with the people selling jeans on the lower hairpin?...

#24500 - 10/10/06 07:59 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kevin]
Kent Offline
old hand

tonight's town board agenda includes "6.1.3 Mohonk Preserve Parking"

TOWN BOARD AGENDA
Town of Gardiner – Regular Meeting
Gardiner Town Meeting Hall
Tuesday, Oct 10, 2006
7:00 P.M.

1 5:45 Planning Board Interviews

2 6:45 Executive Session –
2.1 Cell tower Contract Negotiations
2.2 Union Negotiation Update

3 Community Announcements

4 7PM Call Regular Meeting to Order

5 Public Hearing – Moratorium Extension

6 Workshop
6.1 General
6.1.1 Part 1203 – Set Public Hearing
6.1.2 Toll Brothers Performance Bond
6.1.3 Mohonk Preserve Parking
6.1.4 Budget
6.1.5 Approve Minutes
6.2 Special Report
6.2.1 ZAC Notes

7 Resolutions

8 Miscellaneous

8.1 Financials
8.2 Privilege of the Floor (if time allows)

9 Adjourn

#24501 - 10/10/06 08:27 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kevin]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Yeah - they held a monopoly on one of the best viewpoints accessible to normal car-bound folk, all weekend long. Everyone else had to look at the vista, AND the Vanagons.

Irony: they probably didn't even appreciate it, in comparison to the view from the cliffs.

#24502 - 10/10/06 08:55 PM Re: Town Board Meeting [Re: Kent]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Quote:

tonight's town board agenda includes "6.1.3 Mohonk Preserve Parking"

Kent...
I'm assuming you will be in attendance at the meeting, do you mind posting a note on the parking issue, I think it would be interesting to hear about...

Delvis...
it sure would be grand if they could set it up like Zion, but I seriously doubt your gonna get them to close down 44/55 since its the main pass through the ridge... And the climber/hiker/tourist cars aren't making the noise it's those sweet harley's and jake-brakes which give the uberfall its distinctive wilderness appeal

#24503 - 10/10/06 09:14 PM Re: Town Board Meeting [Re: Dillbag]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

Kent... I hope you are going... I would love to hear a report about what the issue they see about the parking situation is...

#24504 - 10/10/06 09:34 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: d-elvis]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

... in comparison, in Zion (no cars allowed), with the shuttle (propane powered) it is quiet, with no traffic, and the shuttles are amazingly efficient & convenient.

Something like Zion perhaps?

The only reasons the Zion shuttle works so well are:

1) No other vehicles other than bicycles
2) A shockingly large number of shuttles, especially when combined with....
3) A very tiny area of service - one-way mileage is less than from the Mtn. Deli to Coxing.

Yosemite is the more apt comparison to the Gunks, but on a smaller scale.

#24505 - 10/11/06 10:55 AM Re: Town Board Meeting [Re: Kevin]
Kent Offline
old hand

Dill, Kevin, about the town meeting.

"Mohonk Preserve Parking" was a bit of a misnomer. The topic of discussion was the overlook and hairpin turn parking. Apparently consensus has been reached among the Town of Gardiner, NYDOT, NY State Police, Ulster County Sheriff's Office, and the MP, that the 30 minute rule at the hairpin turn and the overlook lot should be enforced. How it will be enforced hasn't been worked out yet. That's what the discussion was about.

There must be some bad juju going on in that area of late. As someone else noted in another thread there was yet another climbing accident yesterday, again at Frog's Head, this one not so serious it seems. But sadly, there was a very serious head on collision yesterday morning, at about 8:30, on 44/55 just west of the Trapps Bridge, pretty much in the heart of what all of us consider to be hallowed ground. I don't have any details other than it was very bad.

Ten stars to everyone everywhere.

#24506 - 10/11/06 12:12 PM Re: Town Board Meeting [Re: Kent]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Well, WEST of the Trapps Bridge has not seen any roadside parking in years. Using an accident there to assess the effect of the scenic pullout parking is just ridiculous. One might just as easily conclude that the porta-potties under the bridge were to blame.

But I wouldn't mind too much if they started enforcing the 30 min limit. Either that or take the signs down.

And of course the hawkers selling their wares at the hairpin - it's jeans this week, right? - should be shooed away after 1/2 hour too. But of course they won't.

Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored