Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#24467 - 10/09/06 01:50 PM Look Out Parking on Clove Rd
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

Just an FYI... Yesterday while riding back from Minne, I noticed a few LARGE stickers, looked like printed off on a computer 8.5inx11in size, signs that someone had pasted/attached/stuck to the driver side window of cars parked on the shoulder of Clove Rd right at 299... I am sure they parked there as things were full up by 10am... In fact I saw one of the people parking when I rode by about that time, and when I rode past at 330-4pm-ish, the signs were on the most of the cars there... The signs said something along the lines of this is a no parking area with a circle with a red slash through it.

I just hope they were not really 'stuck' on the cars, that would suck, personally just leaving a note under the windowwipers should be OK, not sticking something on their cars... That is not too cool...

#24468 - 10/09/06 04:45 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kevin]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

Hmmm....I made a post to this thread, saw it post and read it once it went through, and now it is gone. Though I know it wasn't completely on topic(Clove Road and only Clove Road, and the people who paste cars with No Parking on Clove Road...), I think it was a valid point. AND it offered a not-so-difficult to implement solution.

I went to contact the webmaster, but the page gave me an error message, so I'm asking here - why did you take away my post?

#24469 - 10/09/06 04:57 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Terrie]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
...ah post it again?

#24470 - 10/09/06 05:24 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Smike]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

You know....It took me some time/effort to write. It was "removed." It didn't just not post.

The gist was how congested the overlook was this weekend - with cars parked along 45/55 from the steel bridge all the way along and well past the overlook, and the the overlook spilling over. And, some idiot even parked on the INSIDE of the curve, and how an accident would be unavoidable if two cars were oncoming at that precise section of the road. And I mentioned an idea for a positive solution.

Anyway, I realized that the idea(car ferry to/from Coxing lot) might be an idea the preserve would actually consider, even though the overlook isn't their jurisdiction. So I emailed them directly.

#24471 - 10/09/06 05:42 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Terrie]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Coxing lot is also full on peak weekends Cars were splattered all along 44/55 all the way to the back side overlook. (I almost took out 4 or 5 cars on my way back from cliff Sunday afternoon) Maybe over by Kents clear cut we could set up some additional parking. Hey shorter hike if your climbing at the bank.

#24472 - 10/09/06 05:46 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Terrie]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Hi Terrie,

Evan has a very liberal policy about what gets posted, so perhaps there may have been a software glitch. Try bringing it to his attention in an email as he doesn't read every post and may be unaware of the problem you encountered.

To get to your point though, a shuttle does seem like a good idea to deal with some of the parking problem. It would of course add to the crowding problem on the Preserve and so by design maybe they don't want to add a shuttle.

I've always thought a loop shuttle would be very cool. The visitor center to Coxing to Clove Chapel to Spring Farm to the Park and Ride by 87 to the Bus Station to R&S to the Deli (or thereabouts) to the visitor center and around again. That way people could do through hikes without spotting a car and those who get lost and spit out somewhere other than where they started could just hitch a ride.

If they wanted to be really crunchy and save some money they could get a new van/bus with an ultra low sulfer diesel engine and run it on bio diesel in keeping with, and perhaps expanding, some of their environmental education goals.

Just an idea or two.

#24473 - 10/09/06 05:55 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Smike]
Kent Offline
old hand

Maybe over by Kents clear cut we could set up some additional parking.

I would have to provide a conservation analysis to get a special use permit to allow parking, and get a variance from the ZBA. But if we can get all that done, I'm game.

Edited by Kent (10/09/06 05:56 PM)

#24474 - 10/09/06 06:01 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Kent]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

maybe a software glitch...As I said, i tried to contact webmaster, and got an ewrror message.

You town shuttle is actually a very good idea....

Visitor number isn't going to be reduced by having no parking; but I can tell you that what I saw this weekend was a prime set up for an accident.

Preserve liability would *probably* come into question if one of the factors involved in an accident at the overlook area of the road was overflow parking on the streets. Hate to say it, but if there was a scammer around, it would be a perfect foil. Hit the state and a nonprofit with extensive land holdings.

#24475 - 10/09/06 06:06 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Terrie]
Kent Offline
old hand

Evan is very approachable. Try calling. Most days he's at his desk for much of the day: 845-255-4911.

#24476 - 10/09/06 06:12 PM Re: Look Out Parking on Clove Rd [Re: Terrie]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Quote:

Preserve liability would *probably* come into question if one of the factors involved in an accident at the overlook area of the road was overflow parking on the streets.

I'm no lawyer, (calling delvis) but... I don't believe that the preserve would be liable for people parking on the roadside or in the overlook... They have closed the access trails from the road, which is a "good faith" effort and would probably alleviate any threat of liability.

Also, it is the state that should be enforcing the no parking laws on 44/55 (unless emergency) and in the overlook...
Of course I think that these topics have been beaten to death previously...

I for one can understand why local residents would be annoyed with people parking all up and down Clove Rd as it is quite narrow with very little shoulder in most spots. And as smike stated earlier, the Coxing Lot is usually full on busy weekends for two reasons, it is only a 10-15 minute walk from the West Trapps Lot (rather pleasant also) and that other crag (the one that's lost) is right up the trail from the Lot...

Kent your idea is interesting, but a more immediate solution would be for people to car-pool... how many of us climbers drive up and then meet our partners there?
And remember, it's not just the climbers this time of year, there are a lot of those leaf junkies out too!

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored