Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#25142 - 10/25/06 06:10 PM Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles...
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

It seems that Black Diamond is the only maker of gloves for people with poor form (like me and my friend who consistently bash our knuckles climbing ice). I found the Ice Glove (http://www.bdel.com/gear/ice_glove.php) and the Punisher (http://www.bdel.com/gear/punisher.php), both which offer some padding. But other than the temperature difference posted on the bdel site, I can see that the Punisher has only the ring and pinky padded whereas it *appears* that the Ice Glove has all four fingers padded on the outside (I cannot actually tell if it's all four from the picture). I'm interesed in all four.

Does anyone own either? Are there others? I checked Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, OR, EMS and REI already.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

#25143 - 10/25/06 06:29 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I own a pair of the BD Ice Gloves. They're a few years old. I don't wear them much for leading, as they are a bit clunky compared to the Cloudveil Ice Floe. Which also has padded fingers BTW.

#25144 - 10/25/06 06:38 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Recommend Cloudveil ice flow - thinner for leading but with the padded knuckles

#25145 - 10/25/06 06:41 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
You might want to try MEC, up in Canada - I got a nice pair of gloves with padded knuckles and fingers from them about 4 years back.

Now I just have to get out and climb ice more than once this year!!!

Irish

#25146 - 10/25/06 06:49 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you're going to go with Cloudveil Ice Floe gloves, you might as well buy Old Navy Fleece Gloves.

Both gloves get saturated with water and lose any insulation value within moments of getting wet.

While there is "padding" on the ice floe gloves, the amount of padding is enough to reduce a direct knuckle blow from say an OWIE level of say 9.5 to an OWIE level of say 9.1 whereas the Old Navy Fleece Gloves would only go from 9.5 to say 9.3.

Overpriced piece of crap in other words.

#25147 - 10/25/06 06:57 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I've found that the Ice gloves from BD are a bit stiff, at least in the previous renditions, causing more pump than needed. I believe that is why they now make a model with fewer fingers padded, to increase dexterity. Agreed that the Ice Floe gloves are a nasty sponge, but they feel great until they are wet, at which point I switch to my BD Stratos gloves or some big huge mitts, depending on how long I had to keep the Cloudveils on while wet. Anyone find something with the dexterity of the Ice Floe but much warmer and water resistent?

#25148 - 10/25/06 06:59 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
I like to rock the Charlet Mozer Wool gloves!

They aren't as cheap as the Old Navy.... but they do retain their insulating properties when wet and even when frozen solid!

Of course if you ask nicely maybe our own LTL will tell everyone about her patented glove system!

#25149 - 10/25/06 07:29 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quote:

I like to rock the Charlet Mozer Wool gloves!

They aren't as cheap as the Old Navy.... but they do retain their insulating properties when wet and even when frozen solid!

Of course if you ask nicely maybe our own LTL will tell everyone about her patented glove system!

Ya I’ve seen you rock, more like rocking with 2 ice blocks wrapped around those hands of yours with those wet dog mitts. So frozen, I don’t think any technique from your gf is gonna thaw those puppies.

#25150 - 10/25/06 07:31 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
There's a reason it's hard to find padded knuckled gloves, they don't do much other than raise the price. Hit your hands, as strat pointed out, and it will hurt almost as much as without the pads. Leading, or even seconding for that matter, with bulky gloves is a hassle. Bloody and/or swollen knuckles are good for training. It's fun to look at the ice and say, "Hey, where did all this red stuff come from?" Eventually they'll make you improve your form. Besides, it only hurts for a little while.

Old navy gloves? Oh god, here we go again. Try windstopper gloves, much better and can always be found somewhere online for less than 20/pair. Buy a couple of pairs, rotate them often always keeping the ones you aren't wearing inside your jacket so they don't freeze, and bring along mittens for belays if you need extra warmth. Works like a charm.

Warm when wet? That's a good one.

#25151 - 10/25/06 07:59 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Spray the Ice Floes with Nikwax TX Direct or Watershed. Rub the leather with your fave boot water treatment. Problem (nearly) solved.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored