Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#25152 - 10/25/06 08:09 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I used to have a pair of Granite Gear gloves that I liked a lot.

#25153 - 10/25/06 08:11 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, wet and cold hands delayed from 13 seconds after contact with water to 19.8 seconds.

For the $55 the Ice Flo Gloves will cost you can change old navy fleece gloves 9-10 times.

Graham- Why not focus your attention and considerable design/fabric attention on an ice climbing glove that is actually worthwhile?

#25154 - 10/25/06 08:31 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Most interesting was the theory behind the Punisher having only two padded fingers; that might be an issue. Neither of us lead and we only second when we're lucky enough to have someone lead for us. So for mashing knuckles on TR, I think the BDs will do well even if they do break the bank.

JK

#25155 - 10/25/06 08:31 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Yeah, wet and cold hands delayed from 13 seconds after contact with water to 19.8 seconds.

For the $55 the Ice Flo Gloves will cost you can change old navy fleece gloves 9-10 times.

Methinks you've a) never owned any Ice Floes and b) certainly never Nikwaxed a pair.

You like Old Navy fleece, OK we get that.

9 or 10 pairs, huh? That's almost 100 feet of climbing!

#25156 - 10/25/06 08:36 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Quote:

Methinks you've a) never owned any Ice Floes and b) certainly never Nikwaxed a pair.

You like Old Navy fleece, OK we get that.

9 or 10 pairs, huh? That's almost 100 feet of climbing!

Actually, you misinterpret me entirely. I don't like the Old Navy Gloves. They don't work. They get wet and they make my hands get cold. I have to carry 5+ pairs for a half day of ice climbing to keep hands that are somewhat dry and somewhat warm.

I wore the ICE FLOE gloves for a full season after recommendations that I received from the ice climbing experts on gunks.com .

They don't work 50 dollars better than fleece gloves do. They work maybe 10 dollars better than fleece gloves do. Unfortunately, they are priced 50 dollars more than fleece gloves are.....

True- I didn't NikWax, I treated them with a fluorinated wax emulsion used in high-end automobile polish.....

#25157 - 10/25/06 08:50 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
IMHO,

I've tried and (and destroyed many) of the padded knuckle gloves....

BD Ice: warm, compfy, somewhat durable (it took my first pair three seasons to destroy)

Ice Floe gloves: as strat says, gets wet fast, but I destroyed them probably even faster (both were mixed routes where I was hand jamming along with dry tooling)

Marmot ice gloves: warm, not that durable and not great for highly technical climbs where you will be climbing also with your hands

TNF (I think either the Crux or Vortex): The most durable and best glove I've found for hard mixed/ice climbing (atleast hard for me). Haven't yet damaged them and they have been through a lot of abuse.

#25158 - 10/25/06 08:54 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
Quote:

Graham- Why not focus your attention and considerable design/fabric attention on an ice climbing glove that is actually worthwhile?

Basically, I think it's impossible at the current price of seam gluing. You can make a seam glued waterproof glove, but the frigging thing costs like $30! That'd end up costing 150 or so retail. Forget it. Sorry. I'm hoping that in a year or two, the prices of the seam gluing come down, or the machinery for making seam glued gloves vastly improves. BTW, gloves are almost all made on a machine; there is very little that the machine operator generally does in the production cycle. Check out how its made, the canadian tv show's episode on making gloves for an idea of what I'm talking about.

I have the ice flows. I considered dipping them in tool dip. I still might.

#25159 - 10/25/06 08:57 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: crackers]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
...did you forget to post the link for the canadian tv show? i want to see this machine that makes a $30 glove that sells for retail at 5 times its actual cost!

#25160 - 10/25/06 09:06 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Chas]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
just as a side note... they are good for other things. I tripped this year in the Canadian Rockies and ended up punching a rock with my hand while I was wearing the TNF gloves. My doc said I should have broken the bones in my hand but I ended only getting extensor tenosenovitis (inflammation of the senovial fluid sac surrounding the extensor tendon). Still can climb even though I am in pT.

#25161 - 10/25/06 09:10 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
discovery channel link The tv show is on the discovery channel.

It's actually ten or eleven machines. Mostly they make the cheap tool dipped gloves that you buy for a couple of bucks, but the same ideas behind the machines are used in making the expensive gloves.

You think that 5x is a big mark up? For most stuff in the outdoor industry, I'd guess that 5x is the bare minimum. My markup is a hell of a lot less, but then again, I don't have the overhead...I don't think it costs golite more than $10 to make ANY of their backpacks.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored