Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 4 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#25162 - 10/25/06 09:12 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
commercial fishing gloves, they look like hell, but they are the plastic boot of gloves.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=34360F

#25163 - 10/25/06 10:36 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

commercial fishing gloves, they look like hell, but they are the plastic boot of gloves.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=34360F

Sorry, not good enough (only flexible down to -4 F)

Crackers, I think before I'd dip them in Plasti-Dip I'd stretch a neoprene exam glove over them. But if you dip them, let us know how it works.

Of course I'd have to buy a different color Plasti-Dip than what I have on my workbench. That stuff doesn't match ANY of my outerwear.

#25164 - 10/25/06 10:48 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
I did what Mike suggested with the adding a DWR treatment to the ice floes and it helped a lot. They still get wet but not nearly as fast...

#25165 - 10/26/06 04:07 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Aya]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
Out of curiousity, at what temperature is all this talk of cold, wet hands and the need for supergloves REALLY an issue? From my albeit very limited experience, my hands are coldest in December when they aren't used to the winter yet and I don't think to shake them out enough. No gloves work if your hands are above your head for a half hour. By mid January, the thought of wearing bulky gloves is a distant memory and they will only be worn on wet climbs and I am not going to lead. In general, the colder it is, the drier it is so thin gloves for leading and bulky gloves for belays (if you even need such a nuisance) is plenty. As strat points out, the more pairs of fleece the better. But whatever you do, stay away from neoprene! But it is October and the need to spend money on ice gear is great, so carry on.

#25166 - 10/26/06 04:20 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Aya Offline
old hand

You probably eschew belay jackets too....

I'm such a wimp. I'm never going to be an ice climber!

#25167 - 10/26/06 11:58 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Aya]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Nah, belays should be as comfortable as possible, especially if you happen to be belaying sir-screws-a-lot. I do, however, recommend a nice old jacket for such a purpose. Some have seen my vintage 80s teal and purple reversible columbia jacket. A nice old or cheap down jacket is great too. But usually I'll climb in a soft shell and throw my hard shell over it for belays.

Maybe I'm the wimp, I can't handle putting in screws with bulky gloves.

#25168 - 10/26/06 12:17 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Aya Offline
old hand

I'm definitely a wimp. I just turned on the heat in my apt last night, and now I want to whine because my lips are chapped as a result.

#25169 - 10/26/06 12:19 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Most interesting was the theory behind the Punisher having only two padded fingers; that might be an issue. Neither of us lead and we only second when we're lucky enough to have someone lead for us. So for mashing knuckles on TR, I think the BDs will do well even if they do break the bank.

JK

So, you're saying you TR a lot, right? You really don't need expensive, padded gloves for that. The Cloudveil gloves are thin so that you have a lot of dexterity to remove leashes, place screws, etc. That's not really needed if you're TRing mostly. If you're smashing your fingers, work on your technique. And for gloves, get a few pairs of wool or fleece gloves so that you can switch them out when they get soggy.

I like to have a separate pair of gloves for the approach, then two pairs for climbing (i always keep the non in-use pair inside my jacket to stay warm) and a pair of big fluffy mittens for belaying. My "system" works like a charm for me.

#25170 - 10/26/06 12:37 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
Aya Offline
old hand

Just goes to show... girls are better at dressing for the cold!

#25171 - 10/26/06 01:55 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
pitfall Offline
old hand

[quoteI like to have a separate pair of gloves for the approach, then two pairs for climbing (i always keep the non in-use pair inside my jacket to stay warm) and a pair of big fluffy mittens for belaying. My "system" works like a charm for me.

That's a great system. When I started climbing I bought BD Ice gloves. Now the outer shell is my approach glove (after which they usually go in the pack until it's time to leave) which I wear over climbing glove pair #2. Pair #1 is in my jacket getting toasty warm. Pair #2 stays on until I am tied in and ready to climb. Put on the toasty gloves (#1) and put pair #2 in the jacket. I usually skip the mittens and have pair #3 of fleece in my jacket if necessary, but theses are in the back so it doesn't get too bulky up front. At the belay, switch to pair #2 and put pair #1 in the jacket immediately. This is essential. If you just throw pair #1 on the ground, they will freeze and you're screwed. Then, as Murphyslaw would say, "lather, rinse, repeat." Usually the third pair will remain in the back of my jacket all day.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored