Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#25172 - 10/26/06 01:58 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Gloves hafta have a built in snot wiper. (Most important feature)

#25173 - 10/26/06 03:11 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Why are all the snot wipers on the thumb? I wipe my nose with the back of my hand... those snot wipers are useless to me!

#25174 - 10/27/06 02:54 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
timh Offline

Loc: Delaware
Here's an "outside the box" idea: vehicle extrication gloves. I've used a set of the Ringers gloves for a couple of years now with no problems. I don't have the ones with the blood-borne pathogen barrier so I can't vouch for how they perform. Mine seem to keep my hands reasonably warm, although I don't usually wear them for more than an hour or so at a time.
Hope this helps.

http://ringersgloves.com/Products_Fire_Rescue.aspx
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_1776_ringers_gloves/

#25175 - 10/27/06 01:35 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: timh]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Quote:

Here's an "outside the box" idea: vehicle extrication gloves. I've used a set of the Ringers gloves for a couple of years now with no problems. I don't have the ones with the blood-borne pathogen barrier so I can't vouch for how they perform. Mine seem to keep my hands reasonably warm, although I don't usually wear them for more than an hour or so at a time.
Hope this helps.

http://ringersgloves.com/Products_Fire_Rescue.aspx
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_1776_ringers_gloves/

D-Elvis... it's too bad that they don't say Arcteryx on them... they come in some pretty cool shades of black to match the rest of your ice get-up

#25176 - 10/27/06 01:47 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Oh yeah? If I hear one more thing about those STUPID Charlet Moser wool gloves I'm coming over there.... wool? WTF, ya think this is 1890 or something? Get with the program dill pickle

#25177 - 10/27/06 01:49 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: d-elvis]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Just like a 2003 Rutgers Bar crawl tee shirts makes for an awesome base layer for wicking away moisture.

#25178 - 10/27/06 02:00 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
RUBC shirts are only for Rock! they aren't used for ice...

and D-elvis... don't come whining to me when your super-duper NASA space materials get wet and stop keeping you warm! Sure the wool might be a smidge more bulky... but it's gonna keep working no matter what! And if you get real desperate, you can use them for pro! (wet wool sticks like a magnet to the ice)...

#25179 - 10/27/06 02:23 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Quote:

RUBC shirts are only for Rock! they aren't used for ice...

and D-elvis... don't come whining to me when your super-duper NASA space materials get wet and stop keeping you warm! Sure the wool might be a smidge more bulky... but it's gonna keep working no matter what! And if you get real desperate, you can use them for pro! (wet wool sticks like a magnet to the ice)...

More likely, he'll come crying when he reaches retirement age (you know, in 5 years or so ) and he has no money saved. Between divorces and a wicked gear addiction, who has anything left over for a 401k....

#25180 - 10/27/06 02:46 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Inside... I'm laughing... really

#25181 - 10/28/06 03:33 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
I like to have a separate pair of gloves for the approach, then two pairs for climbing (i always keep the non in-use pair inside my jacket to stay warm) and a pair of big fluffy mittens for belaying. My "system" works like a charm for me.

Buy a couple of pairs, rotate them often always keeping the ones you aren't wearing inside your jacket so they don't freeze

An alternate spot for backup gloves/mittens is in your gaitors. The gloves/mittens stay very toasty and they help keep your legs warm too. And if in your gaitors they are very accessible when sitting in your harness. When climbing waterfall ice, or mountaneering, or even when cold weather hiking, my backups live in my gaitors.

Page 4 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored