Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#25142 - 10/25/06 06:10 PM Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles...
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

It seems that Black Diamond is the only maker of gloves for people with poor form (like me and my friend who consistently bash our knuckles climbing ice). I found the Ice Glove (http://www.bdel.com/gear/ice_glove.php) and the Punisher (http://www.bdel.com/gear/punisher.php), both which offer some padding. But other than the temperature difference posted on the bdel site, I can see that the Punisher has only the ring and pinky padded whereas it *appears* that the Ice Glove has all four fingers padded on the outside (I cannot actually tell if it's all four from the picture). I'm interesed in all four.

Does anyone own either? Are there others? I checked Mountain Hardware, Patagonia, OR, EMS and REI already.

Thanks in advance.

Joe

#25143 - 10/25/06 06:29 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I own a pair of the BD Ice Gloves. They're a few years old. I don't wear them much for leading, as they are a bit clunky compared to the Cloudveil Ice Floe. Which also has padded fingers BTW.

#25144 - 10/25/06 06:38 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Recommend Cloudveil ice flow - thinner for leading but with the padded knuckles

#25145 - 10/25/06 06:41 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
You might want to try MEC, up in Canada - I got a nice pair of gloves with padded knuckles and fingers from them about 4 years back.

Now I just have to get out and climb ice more than once this year!!!

Irish

#25146 - 10/25/06 06:49 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you're going to go with Cloudveil Ice Floe gloves, you might as well buy Old Navy Fleece Gloves.

Both gloves get saturated with water and lose any insulation value within moments of getting wet.

While there is "padding" on the ice floe gloves, the amount of padding is enough to reduce a direct knuckle blow from say an OWIE level of say 9.5 to an OWIE level of say 9.1 whereas the Old Navy Fleece Gloves would only go from 9.5 to say 9.3.

Overpriced piece of crap in other words.

#25147 - 10/25/06 06:57 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I've found that the Ice gloves from BD are a bit stiff, at least in the previous renditions, causing more pump than needed. I believe that is why they now make a model with fewer fingers padded, to increase dexterity. Agreed that the Ice Floe gloves are a nasty sponge, but they feel great until they are wet, at which point I switch to my BD Stratos gloves or some big huge mitts, depending on how long I had to keep the Cloudveils on while wet. Anyone find something with the dexterity of the Ice Floe but much warmer and water resistent?

#25148 - 10/25/06 06:59 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
I like to rock the Charlet Mozer Wool gloves!

They aren't as cheap as the Old Navy.... but they do retain their insulating properties when wet and even when frozen solid!

Of course if you ask nicely maybe our own LTL will tell everyone about her patented glove system!

#25149 - 10/25/06 07:29 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quote:

I like to rock the Charlet Mozer Wool gloves!

They aren't as cheap as the Old Navy.... but they do retain their insulating properties when wet and even when frozen solid!

Of course if you ask nicely maybe our own LTL will tell everyone about her patented glove system!

Ya I’ve seen you rock, more like rocking with 2 ice blocks wrapped around those hands of yours with those wet dog mitts. So frozen, I don’t think any technique from your gf is gonna thaw those puppies.

#25150 - 10/25/06 07:31 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
There's a reason it's hard to find padded knuckled gloves, they don't do much other than raise the price. Hit your hands, as strat pointed out, and it will hurt almost as much as without the pads. Leading, or even seconding for that matter, with bulky gloves is a hassle. Bloody and/or swollen knuckles are good for training. It's fun to look at the ice and say, "Hey, where did all this red stuff come from?" Eventually they'll make you improve your form. Besides, it only hurts for a little while.

Old navy gloves? Oh god, here we go again. Try windstopper gloves, much better and can always be found somewhere online for less than 20/pair. Buy a couple of pairs, rotate them often always keeping the ones you aren't wearing inside your jacket so they don't freeze, and bring along mittens for belays if you need extra warmth. Works like a charm.

Warm when wet? That's a good one.

#25151 - 10/25/06 07:59 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Spray the Ice Floes with Nikwax TX Direct or Watershed. Rub the leather with your fave boot water treatment. Problem (nearly) solved.

#25152 - 10/25/06 08:09 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I used to have a pair of Granite Gear gloves that I liked a lot.

#25153 - 10/25/06 08:11 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Yeah, wet and cold hands delayed from 13 seconds after contact with water to 19.8 seconds.

For the $55 the Ice Flo Gloves will cost you can change old navy fleece gloves 9-10 times.

Graham- Why not focus your attention and considerable design/fabric attention on an ice climbing glove that is actually worthwhile?

#25154 - 10/25/06 08:31 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Most interesting was the theory behind the Punisher having only two padded fingers; that might be an issue. Neither of us lead and we only second when we're lucky enough to have someone lead for us. So for mashing knuckles on TR, I think the BDs will do well even if they do break the bank.

JK

#25155 - 10/25/06 08:31 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Yeah, wet and cold hands delayed from 13 seconds after contact with water to 19.8 seconds.

For the $55 the Ice Flo Gloves will cost you can change old navy fleece gloves 9-10 times.

Methinks you've a) never owned any Ice Floes and b) certainly never Nikwaxed a pair.

You like Old Navy fleece, OK we get that.

9 or 10 pairs, huh? That's almost 100 feet of climbing!

#25156 - 10/25/06 08:36 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Quote:

Methinks you've a) never owned any Ice Floes and b) certainly never Nikwaxed a pair.

You like Old Navy fleece, OK we get that.

9 or 10 pairs, huh? That's almost 100 feet of climbing!

Actually, you misinterpret me entirely. I don't like the Old Navy Gloves. They don't work. They get wet and they make my hands get cold. I have to carry 5+ pairs for a half day of ice climbing to keep hands that are somewhat dry and somewhat warm.

I wore the ICE FLOE gloves for a full season after recommendations that I received from the ice climbing experts on gunks.com .

They don't work 50 dollars better than fleece gloves do. They work maybe 10 dollars better than fleece gloves do. Unfortunately, they are priced 50 dollars more than fleece gloves are.....

True- I didn't NikWax, I treated them with a fluorinated wax emulsion used in high-end automobile polish.....

#25157 - 10/25/06 08:50 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
IMHO,

I've tried and (and destroyed many) of the padded knuckle gloves....

BD Ice: warm, compfy, somewhat durable (it took my first pair three seasons to destroy)

Ice Floe gloves: as strat says, gets wet fast, but I destroyed them probably even faster (both were mixed routes where I was hand jamming along with dry tooling)

Marmot ice gloves: warm, not that durable and not great for highly technical climbs where you will be climbing also with your hands

TNF (I think either the Crux or Vortex): The most durable and best glove I've found for hard mixed/ice climbing (atleast hard for me). Haven't yet damaged them and they have been through a lot of abuse.

#25158 - 10/25/06 08:54 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: strat]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
Quote:

Graham- Why not focus your attention and considerable design/fabric attention on an ice climbing glove that is actually worthwhile?

Basically, I think it's impossible at the current price of seam gluing. You can make a seam glued waterproof glove, but the frigging thing costs like $30! That'd end up costing 150 or so retail. Forget it. Sorry. I'm hoping that in a year or two, the prices of the seam gluing come down, or the machinery for making seam glued gloves vastly improves. BTW, gloves are almost all made on a machine; there is very little that the machine operator generally does in the production cycle. Check out how its made, the canadian tv show's episode on making gloves for an idea of what I'm talking about.

I have the ice flows. I considered dipping them in tool dip. I still might.

#25159 - 10/25/06 08:57 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: crackers]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

...did you forget to post the link for the canadian tv show? i want to see this machine that makes a $30 glove that sells for retail at 5 times its actual cost!

#25160 - 10/25/06 09:06 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Chas]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

just as a side note... they are good for other things. I tripped this year in the Canadian Rockies and ended up punching a rock with my hand while I was wearing the TNF gloves. My doc said I should have broken the bones in my hand but I ended only getting extensor tenosenovitis (inflammation of the senovial fluid sac surrounding the extensor tendon). Still can climb even though I am in pT.

#25161 - 10/25/06 09:10 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
discovery channel link The tv show is on the discovery channel.

It's actually ten or eleven machines. Mostly they make the cheap tool dipped gloves that you buy for a couple of bucks, but the same ideas behind the machines are used in making the expensive gloves.

You think that 5x is a big mark up? For most stuff in the outdoor industry, I'd guess that 5x is the bare minimum. My markup is a hell of a lot less, but then again, I don't have the overhead...I don't think it costs golite more than $10 to make ANY of their backpacks.

#25162 - 10/25/06 09:12 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

commercial fishing gloves, they look like hell, but they are the plastic boot of gloves.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=34360F

#25163 - 10/25/06 10:36 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

commercial fishing gloves, they look like hell, but they are the plastic boot of gloves.

http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=34360F

Sorry, not good enough (only flexible down to -4 F)

Crackers, I think before I'd dip them in Plasti-Dip I'd stretch a neoprene exam glove over them. But if you dip them, let us know how it works.

Of course I'd have to buy a different color Plasti-Dip than what I have on my workbench. That stuff doesn't match ANY of my outerwear.

#25164 - 10/25/06 10:48 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
I did what Mike suggested with the adding a DWR treatment to the ice floes and it helped a lot. They still get wet but not nearly as fast...

#25165 - 10/26/06 04:07 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Aya]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Out of curiousity, at what temperature is all this talk of cold, wet hands and the need for supergloves REALLY an issue? From my albeit very limited experience, my hands are coldest in December when they aren't used to the winter yet and I don't think to shake them out enough. No gloves work if your hands are above your head for a half hour. By mid January, the thought of wearing bulky gloves is a distant memory and they will only be worn on wet climbs and I am not going to lead. In general, the colder it is, the drier it is so thin gloves for leading and bulky gloves for belays (if you even need such a nuisance) is plenty. As strat points out, the more pairs of fleece the better. But whatever you do, stay away from neoprene! But it is October and the need to spend money on ice gear is great, so carry on.

#25166 - 10/26/06 04:20 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Aya Offline
old hand

You probably eschew belay jackets too....

I'm such a wimp. I'm never going to be an ice climber!

#25167 - 10/26/06 11:58 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Aya]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Nah, belays should be as comfortable as possible, especially if you happen to be belaying sir-screws-a-lot. I do, however, recommend a nice old jacket for such a purpose. Some have seen my vintage 80s teal and purple reversible columbia jacket. A nice old or cheap down jacket is great too. But usually I'll climb in a soft shell and throw my hard shell over it for belays.

Maybe I'm the wimp, I can't handle putting in screws with bulky gloves.

#25168 - 10/26/06 12:17 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Aya Offline
old hand

I'm definitely a wimp. I just turned on the heat in my apt last night, and now I want to whine because my lips are chapped as a result.

#25169 - 10/26/06 12:19 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Quote:

Thanks for the feedback everyone. Most interesting was the theory behind the Punisher having only two padded fingers; that might be an issue. Neither of us lead and we only second when we're lucky enough to have someone lead for us. So for mashing knuckles on TR, I think the BDs will do well even if they do break the bank.

JK

So, you're saying you TR a lot, right? You really don't need expensive, padded gloves for that. The Cloudveil gloves are thin so that you have a lot of dexterity to remove leashes, place screws, etc. That's not really needed if you're TRing mostly. If you're smashing your fingers, work on your technique. And for gloves, get a few pairs of wool or fleece gloves so that you can switch them out when they get soggy.

I like to have a separate pair of gloves for the approach, then two pairs for climbing (i always keep the non in-use pair inside my jacket to stay warm) and a pair of big fluffy mittens for belaying. My "system" works like a charm for me.

#25170 - 10/26/06 12:37 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
Aya Offline
old hand

Just goes to show... girls are better at dressing for the cold!

#25171 - 10/26/06 01:55 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
pitfall Offline
old hand

[quoteI like to have a separate pair of gloves for the approach, then two pairs for climbing (i always keep the non in-use pair inside my jacket to stay warm) and a pair of big fluffy mittens for belaying. My "system" works like a charm for me.

That's a great system. When I started climbing I bought BD Ice gloves. Now the outer shell is my approach glove (after which they usually go in the pack until it's time to leave) which I wear over climbing glove pair #2. Pair #1 is in my jacket getting toasty warm. Pair #2 stays on until I am tied in and ready to climb. Put on the toasty gloves (#1) and put pair #2 in the jacket. I usually skip the mittens and have pair #3 of fleece in my jacket if necessary, but theses are in the back so it doesn't get too bulky up front. At the belay, switch to pair #2 and put pair #1 in the jacket immediately. This is essential. If you just throw pair #1 on the ground, they will freeze and you're screwed. Then, as Murphyslaw would say, "lather, rinse, repeat." Usually the third pair will remain in the back of my jacket all day.

#25172 - 10/26/06 01:58 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: pitfall]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Gloves hafta have a built in snot wiper. (Most important feature)

#25173 - 10/26/06 03:11 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Aya Offline
old hand

Why are all the snot wipers on the thumb? I wipe my nose with the back of my hand... those snot wipers are useless to me!

#25174 - 10/27/06 02:54 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
timh Offline

Loc: Delaware
Here's an "outside the box" idea: vehicle extrication gloves. I've used a set of the Ringers gloves for a couple of years now with no problems. I don't have the ones with the blood-borne pathogen barrier so I can't vouch for how they perform. Mine seem to keep my hands reasonably warm, although I don't usually wear them for more than an hour or so at a time.
Hope this helps.

http://ringersgloves.com/Products_Fire_Rescue.aspx
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_1776_ringers_gloves/

#25175 - 10/27/06 01:35 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: timh]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Quote:

Here's an "outside the box" idea: vehicle extrication gloves. I've used a set of the Ringers gloves for a couple of years now with no problems. I don't have the ones with the blood-borne pathogen barrier so I can't vouch for how they perform. Mine seem to keep my hands reasonably warm, although I don't usually wear them for more than an hour or so at a time.
Hope this helps.

http://ringersgloves.com/Products_Fire_Rescue.aspx
http://www.thefirestore.com/store/category.cfm/cid_1776_ringers_gloves/

D-Elvis... it's too bad that they don't say Arcteryx on them... they come in some pretty cool shades of black to match the rest of your ice get-up

#25176 - 10/27/06 01:47 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Oh yeah? If I hear one more thing about those STUPID Charlet Moser wool gloves I'm coming over there.... wool? WTF, ya think this is 1890 or something? Get with the program dill pickle

#25177 - 10/27/06 01:49 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: d-elvis]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Just like a 2003 Rutgers Bar crawl tee shirts makes for an awesome base layer for wicking away moisture.

#25178 - 10/27/06 02:00 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

RUBC shirts are only for Rock! they aren't used for ice...

and D-elvis... don't come whining to me when your super-duper NASA space materials get wet and stop keeping you warm! Sure the wool might be a smidge more bulky... but it's gonna keep working no matter what! And if you get real desperate, you can use them for pro! (wet wool sticks like a magnet to the ice)...

#25179 - 10/27/06 02:23 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Quote:

RUBC shirts are only for Rock! they aren't used for ice...

and D-elvis... don't come whining to me when your super-duper NASA space materials get wet and stop keeping you warm! Sure the wool might be a smidge more bulky... but it's gonna keep working no matter what! And if you get real desperate, you can use them for pro! (wet wool sticks like a magnet to the ice)...

More likely, he'll come crying when he reaches retirement age (you know, in 5 years or so ) and he has no money saved. Between divorces and a wicked gear addiction, who has anything left over for a 401k....

#25180 - 10/27/06 02:46 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Inside... I'm laughing... really

#25181 - 10/28/06 03:33 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
I like to have a separate pair of gloves for the approach, then two pairs for climbing (i always keep the non in-use pair inside my jacket to stay warm) and a pair of big fluffy mittens for belaying. My "system" works like a charm for me.

Buy a couple of pairs, rotate them often always keeping the ones you aren't wearing inside your jacket so they don't freeze

An alternate spot for backup gloves/mittens is in your gaitors. The gloves/mittens stay very toasty and they help keep your legs warm too. And if in your gaitors they are very accessible when sitting in your harness. When climbing waterfall ice, or mountaneering, or even when cold weather hiking, my backups live in my gaitors.

#25182 - 10/30/06 02:43 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Kent]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Quote:

An alternate spot for backup gloves/mittens is in your gaitors. The gloves/mittens stay very toasty and they help keep your legs warm too. And if in your gaitors they are very accessible when sitting in your harness. When climbing waterfall ice, or mountaneering, or even when cold weather hiking, my backups live in my gaitors.

Kent... You've obviously never seen LTL walk, climb, stand, sit, trip, stumble or do any other activity while wearing crampons...

If she kept the spare gloves in her gaitors, I guarantee they wouldn't make it through half a season without a giant slash through them

#25183 - 10/30/06 03:28 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
Aya Offline
old hand

I don't wear gaitors!

#25184 - 10/30/06 03:49 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Quote:

Kent... You've obviously never seen LTL walk, climb, stand, sit, trip, stumble or do any other activity while wearing crampons...

If she kept the spare gloves in her gaitors, I guarantee they wouldn't make it through half a season without a giant slash through them

Walking, stumbling and tripping are separate activities? Who knew?

Yeah, my gloves would be lucky to make it a day or two if stashed inside my gaitors. Speaking of which, if anyone sees a nice sale on goretex or softshell pants, let me know. Mine have huge gashes in them.

#25185 - 10/30/06 04:20 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Speaking of which, if anyone sees a nice sale on goretex or softshell pants, let me know. Mine have huge gashes in them.

Slash and replace gaiters, not pants.

#25186 - 10/30/06 04:38 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Aya Offline
old hand

Duct tape.

#25187 - 10/30/06 04:51 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Aya]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

I have done the duct tape thing until it won't work any more. And sadly, my slashes and gashes are not covered by gaitors. How to do I get huge slashes on my ass? I can't explain it, but I can assure you that I am much more flexible when I'm wearing crampons!

#25188 - 10/30/06 05:14 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Aya]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

slashes on your ass... broken poptarts, missing Jameson.. its all starting to make sense now

#25189 - 10/30/06 07:34 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: learningtolead]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I have done the duct tape thing until it won't work any more. And sadly, my slashes and gashes are not covered by gaitors. How to do I get huge slashes on my ass? I can't explain it, but I can assure you that I am much more flexible when I'm wearing crampons!

Stay away from heel spurs then!

#25190 - 10/30/06 11:19 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: JoeKayak]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
The A #1, sure fire cure for avoiding bashed knuckes is.... getting a Viper Fang (or similar) for your tools.

I still manage to bash a knuckle on rare occasions (it's a gift), but general bahage is reduced about 95% due to this one simple little doodad.
The fact that you can also climb leashless is just a bonus.

I dig the Cloudveil gloves, and I think they are "worth it", especially when gotten on sale.
What gloves stay dry and are nimble enuff to actualy manipulate gear with?
Answer - none.

I use a similar strategy as Pitfall, wear one pair, the others are inside the jacket staying warm and mebbe even drying out a tad, then switch as needed.

Nothing against strat's Old Navy technique, but his hands are pretty much wet and/or cold the entire time he's climbing, at least w/ the Ice Flow gloves there are actually times you'll be warm and/or dry.

#25191 - 11/02/06 12:41 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: MurphysLaw]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Kent, what else lives in your gaiters?? So if I read someones post right they carry up to 4 pairs of gloves/mittens for a day of roadside ice cragging? Holy gauntlets Batman! 2 max! A lighter pair for climbing, and a heavier pair for belaying.

#25192 - 11/02/06 04:48 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: RangerRob]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Quote:

Kent, what else lives in your gaiters?? So if I read someones post right they carry up to 4 pairs of gloves/mittens for a day of roadside ice cragging? Holy gauntlets Batman! 2 max! A lighter pair for climbing, and a heavier pair for belaying.

Rob, do you use a pillow and a nice big tent when you go car camping or do you pack like you're backpacking? Roadside cragging is exactly the time for carrying enough gloves to be comfortable and warm all day. Why suffer when I'm not gonna be weighed down by an extra pair of gloves in my pack?

#25193 - 11/02/06 05:11 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Good golly miss molly, your glove system is MAJOR OCD

#25194 - 11/02/06 05:55 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: d-elvis]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Quote:

Good golly miss molly, you're glove system is MAJOR OCD

hmmm... I think I know someone else with an OCD...

"Look new expensive gear! I will buy it!" OCD or is that a seperate disorder?

#25195 - 11/03/06 09:04 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
mtselman Offline
journeyman

Loc: NY, NY
A great article on gloves from Andy Kirkpatrik:
http://www.psychovertical.com/?truegloves

And another one by him on cold hands:
http://www.psychovertical.com/?coldhands

He used to publish gear reviews in the High Mountain mag, but now seems like he's got his own site with the same reviews and more (some great stories there under the "words" section)

--Misha

#25196 - 11/04/06 02:05 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: mtselman]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Molly....that logic crap won't work on me!

RR

#25197 - 11/04/06 06:26 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: RangerRob]
Aya Offline
old hand

Here are Ice Floes, $39.95, for those of you that like them (my pair is still holding up ok after 2 years)...

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/eui/Con...id=10E98E69D122

#25198 - 11/09/06 06:23 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: crackers]
soccer promotion Offline
stranger

http://www.soccer-promotion.com/
excercise glove with custom logo printing.

#25199 - 11/09/06 12:20 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: soccer promotion]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Quote:

http://www.soccer-promotion.com/
excercise glove with custom logo printing.

SPAM

#25200 - 11/09/06 01:23 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Whats so spam about these babies?

http://www.soccer-promotion.com/soccergloves.html

#25201 - 11/09/06 02:01 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Smike]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Dude-

fluorescent yellow, thats the ticket.

#25202 - 11/10/06 02:33 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: Chas]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
It's been some 25 years since I wore goalie gloves, but I don't remember them begin waterproof, windproof, or even all that sensitive. They were great for grabbing the ball (with help from sticky spray), but too bulky to grab anything smaller than a water bottle. Mostly I used them to give my fingers some protection when getting stepped on or kicked or jammed.

Hockey or Lacross gloves would work better than soccer gloves.

#25203 - 11/10/06 11:55 PM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: quanto_the_mad]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
except hockey/lacrosse gloves are probably the furthest thing from water proof or insulated.

#25204 - 11/11/06 01:41 AM Re: Ice Gloves w/ Padded Knuckles... [Re: CrackBoy]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

I wanna see someone place an ice screw and clip into it wearing hockey gloves.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored