Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#25315 - 03/12/07 02:05 PM Step It Up 2007
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Anyone see this or hear about it?

Banner on High-E

Just wondering if already happened... And if there was a lynch mob...

Edited by webmaster (03/13/07 02:19 PM)

#25316 - 03/12/07 02:16 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Dillbag]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
The article states they intend to do this on April 14. I'm always glad to hear people who want to be involved politically but really think they miss the boat to imagine I will be swayed to their views by such an act as this. I personally tend to be pushed the other way by those who would do so.
So, if High-E has the usual spring morning 4 hour waiting line at the base, are they gonna spend the whole day just waiting to hang this banner? What if it rains?

#25317 - 03/12/07 02:16 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Dillbag]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
It's scheduled for April 14th. On their website they ask for volunteers and say they are working out details with the Mohonk Preserve.

This should be interesting.

Edited to add: That they say they are "working out details with the Mohonk Preserve" doesn't necessarily mean the Preserve has agreed to placement of the banner on the cliff.

Edited by Kent (03/12/07 02:34 PM)

#25318 - 03/12/07 02:26 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Kent]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Is the preserve now going to ask me not to climb High-E that morning to allow a political statement to be made instead? I might ask for my money back in that case. Do they re-imburse life memberships? I think the preserve board would do better to Step It Up and tell would-be political commentors to go do so somewhere else. I'm sure this is a well intended stunt but it smacks of self-importance and disregard for others who want to climb in as natural an enveronment as possible. I gladly pay the preserve in order to enjoy the climbing environment and my friends while avoiding as much government influence as possible to the area. Things might be different if the preserve depended on government funding and had to lobby for such.

#25319 - 03/12/07 02:41 PM Re: Banners in High E [Re: chip]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
This is the kind of visual action that makes me want to vomit. If the group has no permission from the preserve then climb High E all they want, but leave the banners in the trunk, if they do have permission from the preserve then consider this my formal notice not to renew my membership this year.

#25320 - 03/12/07 02:50 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: chip]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Oops... Apparently I can't read good...

So April 14th it is... Should be interesting after all of the controversy the belay quotes caused, as this is a much more visible and direct political statement!

#25321 - 03/12/07 02:55 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Dillbag]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Starting April 7th, start plastering signs around NP that read:

STEP IT UP... BUY BIGGER SUVs. SUPPORT THE US ECONOMY

STEP IT UP - VOTE REPUBLICAN!

STEP IT UP -MORE RAMPS FOR THE HANDICAPABLE

STEP IT UP - SMUSHING ROACHES IS A CRIME!

STEP IT UP - INCREASE THE SPEED LIMIT TO 75!

Dilute the message so it's pointless.

#25322 - 03/12/07 03:13 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
If the Preserve sanctions this event and banner, I won't like it, but it's their property and so I'll respect their wishes. If on the other hand they don't sanction this event and the organizers persist in a sort of guerilla insurgency hanging of the banner there or elsewhere on the cliff, I'd be willing to participate in a peaceful counter insurgency effort.

#25323 - 03/12/07 03:52 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Kent]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
I'm with you Kent. If it ever happens, which I kinda doubt, that banner will not be up for long.

#25324 - 03/12/07 03:54 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Kent]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
I was a voice in the wilderness supporting the earlier small notes on belay stations. But this latest thing is beyond the pail. I'd gladly be the first to cut the banner down and throw it in the trash; it has no place on the cliffs.

GO

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored