Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#25325 - 03/12/07 04:24 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: GOclimb]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
Quote:

I was a voice in the wilderness supporting the earlier small notes on belay stations. But this latest thing is beyond the pail. I'd gladly be the first to cut the banner down and throw it in the trash; it has no place on the cliffs.

Not all slippery slope arguments are fallacious. The Preserve disapproved of the tags but chose to make no public statement about them. I thought (and still think) that this was a mistake, one that they will be paying for, I suspect, over and over again.

I posted one of my overheated rants, familiar to those on this site, in the comments section of the Step It Up site. My post contains a typo (quartze) which opens the door to ridicule of my geological knowledge. Fire away...

#25326 - 03/12/07 05:02 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: rg@ofmc]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Spoke with the communications person at Mohonk, Debbie Clifford. The preserve does not sanction this. There is no "discussion" because the preserve said no to the cliff banner. They are allowing a banner in the visitor's center.

FYI

#25327 - 03/12/07 05:08 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: alicex4]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Operation counter insurgency it shall be then

#25328 - 03/12/07 05:36 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Smike]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

Well....they ARE getting PR, at any rate.

Now, they can get more PR by admitting that announcing the intent was premature, and they should have waited till the request by the preserve was achknowledged....

Gotta spin it to win it, doncha know.....

#25329 - 03/12/07 06:03 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Smike]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Quote:

Operation counter insurgency it shall be then

Game on.

#27588 - 03/12/07 08:54 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: rg@ofmc]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
 Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
 Quote:
I was a voice in the wilderness supporting the earlier small notes on belay stations. But this latest thing is beyond the pail. I'd gladly be the first to cut the banner down and throw it in the trash; it has no place on the cliffs.

Not all slippery slope arguments are fallacious. The Preserve disapproved of the tags but chose to make no public statement about them. I thought (and still think) that this was a mistake, one that they will be paying for, I suspect, over and over again.

Maybe. But it sure isn't sounding like it. Time will tell.

Quote:
I posted one of my overheated rants, familiar to those on this site, in the comments section of the Step It Up site.

Kudos to you for doing so. Thanks.

GO

#27590 - 03/12/07 09:08 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: GOclimb]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
I heard about this last fall and emailed them immediately, with the request that they first contact the Preserve for permission, as this was private land. I am glad they did.

#27591 - 03/12/07 09:26 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Mim]
talus Offline
veteran

Step It Up certainly does a horrible job on educating you on what their cause is for and how to go about their cause.

imo a tshirt on the person climbing is most likly better suited than a banner.

#27592 - 03/12/07 09:38 PM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Mim]
Kent Offline
old hand

Loc: The Bayards
Just today they pulled all specific info about the "New Paltz" event from the website. As well, they pulled all comments made about every event nationwide, including those made by Mim, RG, GO, and Alice. Coincidence?

They have a similar banner on the cliff event still planned at Seneca and have suggested a banner on the Grand Teton even

Organizers' Frequently Asked Questions

How big should my rally be?
The short answer is, as big as possible. Numbers count--a thousand is better than a hundred is better than a dozen in terms of sheer impact. But there are exceptions--maybe you're hoisting your banner in a hard-to-get-to place: on top of the Grand Teton , say. In that case, a few is as good as a throng.

#27596 - 03/13/07 01:16 AM Re: Quotes attached to belay chains? [Re: Kent]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Kent
...and have suggested a banner on the Grand Teton even...

Yeah, that will certainly be noticed for miles around. Obviously they have a bit to learn about PR and visibility. Sure, put a banner up on High-E, waaaay down the carriage road. If they were serious about being seen, Shockley's, above the hairpin, or the middle of the Nears (visible from the 299-44/55 intersection) would have been much better choices.

Page 2 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored