Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (wivanov), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#258 - 04/22/00 04:20 AM Sangre de Cristo Mts.
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm thinking of joining some friends this summer for some climbing in the Sangre de Cristo Mts. in Colorado. Anybody have any recommendations or experiences that they'd like to share about the area?

Thanks,
K-Man

#259 - 04/23/00 05:26 PM Re: Sangre de Cristo Mts.
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
The Sangre's are magnificent. Camp near the South Colony Lakes, and you have 4-5 beautiful multipitch climbs on really cool congolmerate rock ending on 14000+ summits. The Ellingwood Arete 5.7 is one of the 50 classic climbs of north america-its on Crestone Needle. Also good are the prow on Kit Carson(5.8, crux at the start of the route, but gets more committing as you get into the 5.4 terrain-neat), and the North Pillar on Crestone Needle(sustained 5.8).

There are also some cool looking mixed climbs on Crestone Needle and Crestone Peak-looks like the AI3 5.6 range to me.

Further south in the Sangres there is a 2 km 5.4 ridge(hideously exposed) connecting Blanca and Little Bear that would be exciting. Ropes don't do much good there so be really solid and comfortable with exposure.

Have a great time-this is one of my favorite places in the world.

andrew

#260 - 04/27/00 07:22 PM Re: Sangre de Cristo Mts. [Re: andrew]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey! South Colony Lakes! I remember that too :)
We climbed Crestone Needle, but via the easiest route - South Ridge/Couloir. Did some hiking in the aria... It's very beautiful there. And goats will drop rocks on you :)
Send me a note if interested - I have some pictures on the web

om

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored