Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 6 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#26704 - 02/12/07 11:23 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: Daniel]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

Anyway, even if bombs are coming in from Iran, there's still no direct evidence that the Iranian government is sponsoring the activity. "The officials also asserted, without providing direct evidence, that Iranian leaders had authorized smuggling those weapons into Iraq for use against the Americans. The officials said such an assertion was an inference based on general intelligence assessments....That inference, and the anonymity of the officials who made it, seemed likely to generate skepticism among those suspicious that the Bush administration is trying to find a scapegoat for its problems in Iraq, and perhaps even trying to lay the groundwork for war with Iran."

...yellowcake...

#26705 - 02/13/07 02:32 AM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Daniel Online   content
veteran

...yellowcake...

Except that when W cried "yellowcake," we had the ability to go in on the ground and throw out the source of the asserted danger. What's W backing up this threat with? We couldn't occupy Iran with our forces at full strength, much less with troops that will be bogged down in Iraq for at least a while longer. Bombing would only strengthen the present regime and turn even more people into terrorists.

So even if Iran's government were arming extremists in Iraq, what's this administration threatening to do about it? Anything? Are there any real options? If not, why all the huffing and puffing? It's all very strange.

#26706 - 02/13/07 11:05 AM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: Daniel]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Bombing would only strengthen the present regime and turn even more people into terrorists.

Well...bombing it is then. Gotta fight 'em over there so we don't fight 'em over here, right? Bring 'em on!.

#26707 - 02/13/07 12:40 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
felix m Offline
journeyman

And even if the Iranian government is involved, what recourse do we have? To those who say we may be planning to invade Iran, I have a two word response: with what?

cruise missles

I have a hard time believing that people in his administration can actually think invading Iran would be a good thing.

???

#26708 - 02/13/07 01:44 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: felix m]
Daniel Online   content
veteran

cruise missles

Bombing does not constitute an invasion.

And again, what would bombing accomplish? It would rally people to the present regime, and it wouldn't stop the nation from supporting Shiite extremists in Iraq (if that's what they're doing, which is still unsupported by the evidence we know about). Is there any scenario where bombing would leave the US in a better position afterwards?

I thought Tom Friedman had a good answer to those fearing that Iran might "win" in Iraq. "And Iran, you win — yes, if we leave, you win the right to try to manage Iraq’s Shiites. Have a nice day."

#26709 - 02/13/07 01:54 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: felix m]
chazman Offline
old hand

Quote:

I have a hard time believing that people in his administration can actually think invading Iran would be a good thing. ???

I have a hard time believing that people still have any confidence that this administration is capable of making a sensible, honest, rational decision. The Chaney / Bush war machine will press on...

#26710 - 02/13/07 03:24 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: chazman]
felix m Offline
journeyman

"Bombing does not constitute an invasion."
I would consider it more of an attack
"thought Tom Friedman had a good answer to those fearing that Iran might "win" in Iraq. "And Iran, you win — yes, if we leave, you win the right to try to manage Iraq’s Shiites. Have a nice day."
Can Tom Friedman finally have it right?
I seem to recall that Toms columns pre Iraq invasion were very much pro the dirty deed. Tom Friedman is also the guy who helped place the sole blame for the failure at camp david 2000 on Arafat. Friedman & his good buddy Dennis Ross, lead US negotiator at Camp David are cofounders of a conservative synagogue near Bethesda, MD. I suppose Arafat (and areal peace) never had a chance. The result - second intifada. Fast forward September 11, 2001. Bin Laden is precise in why his Kamikazee pilots struck (although his words had to be found in the foriegn press as mainstream US would not touch it) foremost of his grievances was the unconditional support by the US of the brutal occupation of the palestinian people. You would never see Friedman or the Times discuss this. You see they both have an agenda.

Will the US attack Iran - quite possibly over the nuclear issue. Iran might best declare "nuclear ambiguity"

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/03/whitehouse200703?printable=true¤tPage=al

#26711 - 02/13/07 03:42 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: felix m]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Bin Laden is precise in why his Kamikazee pilots struck (although his words had to be found in the foriegn press as mainstream US would not touch it) foremost of his grievances was the unconditional support by the US of the brutal occupation of the palestinian people.

You mean it's not "because they hate our freedom"??

That's what W would have us believe. He wouldn't tell us a fib now would he??

#26712 - 02/13/07 04:02 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
I just can't get over how similar this sounds to 5 or 6 years ago, substituting Iran for Iraq and Ahm ... for Saddam. So many things sound the same: implied evidence, pure speculation about what the parties involved - Bush, Ahm .., the Iranian people, are thinking and will do. And yet you *know* the administration has a fully-developed plan for the invasion already ... all of our discussion is rhetorical.

The decision has already been made. Just like Iraq. They're just leaking tidbits to the press so that by the time they want to pull the trigger, it'll have been on our tongues for long enough.

My bet is that as soon as we pull out of Iraq, well hell why bother flying the troops home ...?

#26713 - 02/13/07 04:46 PM Re: The wheels are in motion... [Re: Julie]
mworking Offline
old hand

Quote:

I just can't get over how similar this sounds to 5 or 6 years ago, substituting Iran for Iraq and Ahm ... for Saddam....The decision has already been made. Just like Iraq. They're just leaking tidbits to the press so that by the time they want to pull the trigger, it'll have been on our tongues for long enough....

Well yeah, now it's a proven plan!

Remember I've always said the Bush administration got most of what it wanted out of the war. It wasn't a failure for them until they lost their governing majority. GW may be having some second thoughts lately, but he's still pretty far from making an admission of the truth, and he certainly isn't above using the same tactics again.

Edited by mworking (02/13/07 05:04 PM)

Page 4 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored