Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#26787 - 01/22/07 11:52 PM Volunteer search group update
caver Offline
enthusiast

Loc: High Falls
Some of you were there but for the rest of the gunks readers......

Search training happened this past weekend up at the Sam's Point Preserve (thanks to their support, esp. munchies!). Rob Mecus did a fine job of instructing a very diverse group of nearly 40 (wow!) on the basics of various search patterns, chain of command, etc. We spent a very cold and windy 3 hours looking for 'clues' at a nearby DEC parcel with a pretty good success rate of ~70%. Hopefully our combined efforts will be of benefit to those in need and support future land management decisions. Also of note, Graham (crackers) made a very generous gesture of committing to support of this new group with a couple of his Cilo (say it with a c-h sound!) packs!
Future trainings may be made available to those with interest, in basic first aid, further S/R , and other areas where volunteers can be of help. Again, thanks to all those involved!
-Mark

#26788 - 01/23/07 02:51 AM Re: Volunteer search group update [Re: caver]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
jesus i ate too many of those brownie bites...

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#26789 - 01/23/07 11:20 AM Re: Volunteer search group update [Re: caver]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
Thank you for the update, Mark. I missed the second day of the training on Saturday.

And yes, thank you everyone who participated, especially those like Evan and Graham who logged some serious commuting time. I've also extended my gratitude on behalf of the GCC to Hiedi at TNC for hosting, to Marty as well for recruiting and organizing, and to Rob for teaching it.

Big turnout!

Moderator:  Jannette, phlan, webmaster 
Sponsored