Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27370 - 02/23/07 10:26 PM Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area
Barneythedog Offline
stranger

Anyone know of any Exercise Physiology labs in the NYC area that can test my VO2 max and lactate threshold? I've tried Google and am drawing blanks, but I know they've got to be out there.

Thanks.

#27371 - 02/25/07 01:12 AM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: Barneythedog]
Ralph Offline

For humans or canines?

#27372 - 02/25/07 02:33 AM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: Ralph]
chip Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I don't know of any but have some suggestions. Most any college with exercise physiology courses has the equipment. Places that offer cardiac rehabilitation often do as well. You may call a cardiology group in your area for leads or a high end fitness center, which often employ folks with ex. phys. backgrounds. Some of the pro sports teams may also have access. I'm surprised that this service hasn't become readily offered commercially as it would probably make a good side business for a fitness center. let us know what you find.

#27373 - 02/25/07 02:35 AM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: chip]
chip Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Come to think of it, ClimbEEr's Mom developed the lactate testing most used now. Maybe he can find out something. Since he has moved to Boston and might not follow this site, I'll give him a call.

#27374 - 02/25/07 05:01 PM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: chip]
Barneythedog Offline
stranger

Thanks Chip! Any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

#27375 - 02/26/07 07:19 PM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: Barneythedog]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

I've been curious about this too so please post what you find.

TerrierTri.com, a NYC-based triathlon group, has some testing package related to their coaching services.

#27376 - 02/27/07 11:42 PM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: JoeKayak]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
I just went to SUNY New Paltz today to do this test and I have suggested they open this service to the public for a fee (it is presently only offered to members).

Turns out my ego got a super boost, with ten years shaved off my chronological age!

If they do, I'll make sure to put a posting.

#27377 - 02/28/07 04:47 AM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: chip]
climbEEr Offline

Loc: Boston, MA
So for Lactate Acid testing, I have talked to my Mum, and she is going to do some looking around. But off the top of her head I believe she recommend this company for self testing

http://www.lactate.com/

It is a little pricey but if you go in with a few people it becomes cheaper. This was the competitor to the test she developed. Unfortunately for you, after my mum sold her company the people who bought never really brought it to market.

I will post any other information that she tells me.

#27669 - 03/16/07 03:36 PM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: climbEEr]
Barneythedog Offline
stranger

At long last, I was referred to a trainer who works at Asphalt Green on the UES of Manhattan. They do VO2 Max and anerobic threshold testing and I had it done yesterday. Am glad I did, as the data it provided me with will really help my training. If you want to speak with someone there about it, call the main number (don't have it on hand) and ask for Josh Gold.

#27735 - 03/21/07 06:55 PM Re: Exercise Physiology Labs in NYC Area [Re: Barneythedog]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

How much did it cost?

And aren't you going to share? I did a Joe Friel (Triathlon Training Bible author) version of the test on the treadmill and got to an RPE = 7 (what he says it LT) at 176 today. I think that's bogus tho.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored