Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#27586 - 03/12/07 05:15 PM Snow left at the Gunks ?
berlin Offline

Hi,

I"m wondering is there is snow left at the Gunks. ??
If nothing left, maybee it is time to go there to start Rock season !

Thanks

#27587 - 03/12/07 05:21 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: berlin]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Yes, there is still snow... well mostly ice and slush...

#27594 - 03/12/07 11:54 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: Dillbag]
caver Offline
enthusiast

Loc: High Falls
The snow has two small annoying factors, the base of some climbs will still be messy (bring a ground cloth/plastic bag to stand on) and melting will keep some routes wet for a few more days until most of it is gone. I plan to check it out tomm. if it looks good in the AM.....

#27601 - 03/13/07 03:15 AM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: caver]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
We had two good days of rock climbing in our mountain boots last week. I'm kind of bummed about the end of ice season but psyched for rock season. I'd better come up with some goals for the upcoming season so I can get them out of the way in March and feel no pressure the rest of the year!!!

#27602 - 03/13/07 06:20 AM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: Aya]
berlin Offline

Thanks for the update.
That's great news !

#27725 - 03/21/07 04:29 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: berlin]
berlin Offline

how is the cliff with the recent snow storm ???

Hopefully, it melts by the end of the month ..

Edited by berlin (03/21/07 04:30 PM)

#27726 - 03/21/07 04:54 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: berlin]
Aya Offline
old hand

It was a pita to get anywhere the past two days with all the snow. Monday we took a walk down the carriage road, popped up some variation of roger's escape Hatch (a short chimney with a 5.1 exit move that was tricky with all the snow?) and then slogged back along the ridgeline to the Uberfall, postholing all the way. Mostly about knee deep, with a really hard crust on top. My shins are very scraped up - speaking of which, if you follow the stream upstream from the uberfall, there's a not-insignificant amount (ie worth going to climb if you're desperate) of ice about a fifteen (in the snow) minute hike up, on the north side. I didn't know about it.

Yesterday, we took a snowshoe out to Bonticou. You can't win. Big wide groomed trail, and at first we were well to the side of the ski tracks... but then figuring that we'd try to stay out of the way of the skate skiiers, we hopped to the otherside of the tracks, in the narrow margin between the tracks and the edge of the trail. We weren't affecting the tracks at all, but we got yelled at and chided anyway. The snow was a ton softer yesterday, but going up the Bonticou ascent trail, the snow was easily waist deep in a lot of places. We soloed som 5.5ish crack at the top, but it had a lot of snow and ice still on it - stuff is softening up during the day, but it's still really cold! 18 this morning!

There's a crack that goes out the right side of a 30ish foot roof around the right (west?) side of Bonticou that looks like a really beautiful line. Anyone know what it goes at? Looks about 5.11ish?

#27728 - 03/21/07 05:41 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: Aya]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Shhhh! There are lots of beautiful lines out there. Having spent many years on the race circuit for x-c and biathlon, I find it hard to believe that your snowshoe tracks would have any significant effect on the skaters. When we were out there Saturday we had the place pretty much to ourselves at Bonticou. Lots of nuts skiing/snowshoeing along the trapps. Being the sane ones, we climbed instead.

#27730 - 03/21/07 05:56 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: chip]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
There's nothing worth climbing out at Bonticou... That's why there is no guide book for it!

Stay in the Trapps or the Nears, and if you're feeling adventurous head over to Millbrook... Yup!

Oh and the skiing was fantastic on Saturday and Sunday! Best conditions all season... Why slog (climb) through snow/slush and ice when you can ski on top of it all?

#27732 - 03/21/07 06:04 PM Re: Snow left at the Gunks ? [Re: Dillbag]
Aya Offline
old hand

Maybe because we didn't have skis and were too dumb to think of snowshoes on Monday??

And I needed to work off all the Smirnoff Ice - Wild Grape! - that I had? I'm such a girl.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored