Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >
Topic Options
#27695 - 03/20/07 04:15 AM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: yellowhouse]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Quote:
I cannot believe that the Gunks community and the Mohonk Preserve does not support this event.

It's time to look at the bigger picture. Our actions are having an adverse effect on the planet, and this grassroots movement is doing their best to curb the greed and ignorance of America.

This is not a political issue. This is a human existence issue. There should be no arguement that we need to take action in order to cut back on our carbon emmisions.

Ah if all things in life were so simple. As you get older you will find that with all things controversial in life, the truth lies not on one end of the extreme or the other, but somewhere in the middle.

To me the hardest part on GW is not getting the message out but finding the truth within.

#27699 - 03/20/07 01:33 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: Smike]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Hehehe... Look at smike being all existential!

#27701 - 03/20/07 02:43 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
I think this would prove interesting if nothing else:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=prnw.20070319.DCM015&show_article=1

Although nether can be seen as having any formal background in climatology, they both seem to have taken upon themselves to be the spokesperson for each side the GW debate.

#27703 - 03/20/07 03:45 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: Smike]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
 Originally Posted By: Smike
I think this would prove interesting if nothing else:

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=prnw.20070319.DCM015&show_article=1

Although nether can be seen as having any formal background in climatology, they both seem to have taken upon themselves to be the spokesperson for each side the GW debate.
The heat generated by this debate will make a significant contribution to global warming.

#27710 - 03/20/07 06:16 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: oenophore]
paborden Offline
enthusiast

Loc: On the road...
yellowhole

If you call hanging some pansy-ass banner off high e "taking action"...

#27712 - 03/20/07 07:36 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: yellowhouse]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
 Originally Posted By: yellowhouse
I cannot believe that the Gunks community and the Mohonk Preserve does not support this event.

<snip>

There are more poor mileage subaru's, BMW's, Sport Util's, and trucks there than befit's a supposedly conservationist-minded demographic.

Putting aside the issue of whether or not the banner would have been an effective tool in fighting global warming, you seem to be under the misaprehension that climbers are particularly conservation-minded. I'd suggest that you'd be a lot more clear-headed if you assumed that climbers at the Gunks have an almost identical split between conservation-minded and otherwise, to the general populace.

GO

#27717 - 03/20/07 10:03 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: paborden]
yellowhouse Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
 Originally Posted By: paborden
yellowhole

If you call hanging some pansy-ass banner off high e "taking action"...

Well, this action is better than inaction.

Do you really think that they planned on leaving the banner there to shred in the wind? Of course not. That would absolutley be littering.

Really. I am totally surprised that we climbers are split on this issue. When we climb we make a direct connection with the medium which we value so dearly and debate so hotly on this forum, and yet it seems that some of us gunkies aren't willing to go the extra mile to protect it.

Buying a season's pass does not entitle someone to ignore how to live efficiently in other parts of their life. Leave No Trace ethics can go beyond the trail...

Arguing regarding whether or not global warming exists is a ridiculous as denying that the holocaust happened.

Can climbers really believe that the environment is really so expendable that we're willing to abuse it so badly?

I know I'm an idealist, but I would hope that's better than the other options.

#27718 - 03/20/07 10:25 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: yellowhouse]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Buying a season's pass does not entitle someone to ignore how to live efficiently in other parts of their life.

Might a lifetime pass allow one this?

#27719 - 03/20/07 10:32 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: oenophore]
yellowhouse Offline
stranger

Loc: NYC
Ha! Nice...

#27720 - 03/21/07 01:52 PM Re: Step It Up 2007 [Re: yellowhouse]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
I think it's litter even if someone goes back later and picks it up. It's litter while it's there.

But mostly it's just pointless. I didn't know that this banner had anything to do with global warming until it was mentioned on this thread. What does "step it up" mean? How would someone know that? It might as well say "just do it". Sounds more like an advertisement than anything. Probably is. Immediately following the event, Power Bar will come out with their new slogan and thank you for the free advertising.

I'm also surprised that climbers are split on the subject of hanging slogans from the cliffs, but I'm surprised that any climber could be in favor of it.

Page 4 of 12 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 12 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored