Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#27888 - 03/27/07 08:17 PM Kaaterskill Falls Landslide?
fluffstravels Offline
journeyman

I'm trying to dig up some info on Kaaterskill falls trail. I attempted to go up last fall but was turned back by a State Trooper who said there was a landslide that shut down the road and wiped out the Kaaterskill falls trail.

Can anyone confirm or deny this before I make the drive up?

#27889 - 03/27/07 08:40 PM Re: Kaaterskill Falls Landslide? [Re: fluffstravels]
talus Offline
veteran

don't know about the landslide but i went out to Kaaterskill twice this winter and the trail was fine.

#27897 - 03/27/07 11:26 PM Re: Kaaterskill Falls Landslide? [Re: talus]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Perhaps you're referring to the landslide that took out the whole road right around the hairpin? If that's the case, that's been rebuilt and reopened. AFAIK it didn't take out the trail, however.

#27916 - 03/28/07 01:06 PM Re: Kaaterskill Falls Landslide? [Re: talus]
fluffstravels Offline
journeyman

Thanks all.

I believe I was in fact referring to the landslide that took out the hairpin. The state trooper that turned us back last summer/fall said the trail to Kaaterskill was wiped out too. Definitely glad to hear it is still in tact.

#27925 - 03/28/07 02:46 PM Re: Kaaterskill Falls Landslide? [Re: Aya]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Just a couple weeks ago I heard from a local that the same deluge that washed out the road also blocked/damaged the road in at least 2 other spots. Look uphill as you drive the lower part of the clove; there are 3 distinct slide tracks that are new. This was almost surely the storm that caused the minor landslide above pitch one of Viola Ravine and enlarged the bank slump across from Moores Bridge as well.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored