Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (slevin), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#28094 - 04/05/07 02:27 PM Climber friendly churches near the gunks?
C4C Offline
stranger

Can anyone reccomend a good climber friendly church relatively close to the gunks?

#28095 - 04/05/07 03:44 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
You'll find a list here. Does the denomination mean little or nothing to you, just climber friendliness?

#28097 - 04/05/07 04:21 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
C4C Offline
stranger

Thanks for the list, but I was kinda looking for a personal reccomendation. I am not hung up on denomination so much as I am about being climber friendly. I am not going to be wearing a suit and tie.

#28098 - 04/05/07 04:21 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO

#28099 - 04/05/07 04:36 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: andrew]
offbelay Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: andrew

seriously...

what exactly is a "climber friendly church"?

#28101 - 04/05/07 04:43 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: offbelay]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Does "climber friendly" mean "you don't actually have to go"?

Because, honestly, the very last place I'm going to be on a beautiful Sunday morning, is a church, regardless of how I'm dressed.

My guess, Mr. C4C, is that your question is best asked within your own "climbing for christ" organization.

#28102 - 04/05/07 04:43 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
 Originally Posted By: C4C
I am not going to be wearing a suit and tie.

what? dont be ridiculous. god cant hear you if youre not wearing a tie!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#28103 - 04/05/07 04:51 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

If you need to leave a natural church like the Gunks on a nice Sunday morning to go to inside to an indoctrination meeting,um,brainwashing session, uh, church, and you don't even care if it's your particular brand of propaganda, it seems your faith is pretty damned weak.

Edited by MarcC (04/05/07 04:53 PM)

#28105 - 04/05/07 05:02 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: MarcC]
C4C Offline
stranger

Wow, thanks for your help! I never asked you to go with me.(although you are welcome to) I never said that I would't be in the outdoor sanctuary at trapps on Sunday too but I do like to worship with others in a church building occasionally as well. A climber friendly church IMO is one that welcomes anyone off the street to worship with them regardless. I guess that is too much to ask in such a "progressive" town as New Paltz.

#28106 - 04/05/07 05:06 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

C4C, do you expect to be expelled from a church for failing to follow a dress code? If so, try them all until you find one that doesn't expel you -- simple as that.

#28109 - 04/05/07 05:37 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
C4C Offline
stranger

Although the thought of that sounds fun, I would rather get some beta and find a good one. Maybe that is too much to ask?
The Lutheran church across from SUNY looks ok. Does anyone have any firsthand experience there? I'm not a big fan of Liturgical tradition too much, does anyone know if it is oldschool Lutheran or more contemporary. Some have two seperate services.

#28110 - 04/05/07 05:46 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Although the thought of that sounds fun, I would rather get some beta and find a good one. Maybe that is too much to ask?
The Lutheran church across from SUNY looks ok. Does anyone have any firsthand experience there? I'm not a big fan of Liturgical tradition too much, does anyone know if it is oldschool Lutheran or more contemporary. Some have two seperate services.
Alas, from your point of view, nearly all Gunkies seem to be impious cusses. In my nearly three decades of climbing, I met only one climber who attended church on Sundays.

#28112 - 04/05/07 05:58 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
C4C Offline
stranger

oenophore, If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you, then that would make two. -Todd

#28114 - 04/05/07 06:45 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
Just put a t-shirt on over the sports bra and I'm sure any church will be glad to see you.

#28115 - 04/05/07 06:53 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: dalguard]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
ive seen some fairly normal (non-suit wearing) people walking in and out of the church across from hoffmans and the gas station, here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=...qORkYMnondPIB0g

Edited by empicard (04/05/07 06:54 PM)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#28117 - 04/05/07 07:22 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
<<<--- would be expelled from any church that she went to regardless of what she was wearing. it seems they don't like the comment, this is all crap anyway. oh well...

when my folks came to visit they wanted to go to church on saturday evening so i dropped them off and went to bacchus for a couple of beers and some sweet potato fries. they were tasty!

#28119 - 04/05/07 08:46 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: learningtolead]
rg@ofmc Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
C4C, I'm sorry I can't help you out, but I'd like to express my embarrasment at the intolerance and insensitivity of some of my threadmates. You asked a perfectly simple question and deserved either a simple answer, if anyone has one, or else the silence of the uninformed.

Why some people found it necessary to package their lack of knowledge about your question with cheap shots at your faith is a genuine mystery to me. Kudos to you for handling it with a lot more grace and dignity than you were shown.

#28120 - 04/05/07 09:50 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: rg@ofmc]
C4C Offline
stranger

rg@ofmc, Thanks for the kind words. I have come to kind of expect it from my experiences posting on other climbing forums. No harm done. -Todd

#28121 - 04/05/07 10:09 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I have come to kind of expect it from my experiences posting on other climbing forums.

RG is correct, of course, and my post was certainly one of the more cynical. However, a little introspection about why your posts on various climbing fora elicit such responses might be enlightening.

#28122 - 04/05/07 10:11 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: rg@ofmc]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
RG, do you really think there are climber-unfriendly churches? The OP, for all his supposed faith, doesn't have much faith. Pick a church and go to it. I don't believe in your God but I do believe in the ability of the churches in New Paltz to welcome a stranger to their services, regardless of how said stranger is dressed.

#28123 - 04/05/07 10:24 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: MarcC]
C4C Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: MarcC
I have come to kind of expect it from my experiences posting on other climbing forums.

RG is correct, of course, and my post was certainly one of the more cynical. However, a little introspection about why your posts on various climbing fora elicit such responses might be enlightening.

Marc, I'm not sure if that was a statement or a question or exactly what it means?

#28125 - 04/05/07 11:16 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: rg@ofmc]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
 Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
Why some people found it necessary to package their lack of knowledge about your question with cheap shots at your faith is a genuine mystery to me.

It's not a mystery to me.

I erased a few "cheaper" shots than the one I posted. I am almost always suspicious of people who come to a secular place to discuss religion. In this case, I am suspicious that the purpose behind C4C's post was not to ask about churches in NP, but to solicit a discussion about religion and his god.

But a godly person wouldn't troll, now would he?

#28129 - 04/06/07 01:04 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: Julie]
C4C Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Julie
 Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
Why some people found it necessary to package their lack of knowledge about your question with cheap shots at your faith is a genuine mystery to me.

It's not a mystery to me.

I erased a few "cheaper" shots than the one I posted. I am almost always suspicious of people who come to a secular place to discuss religion. In this case, I am suspicious that the purpose behind C4C's post was not to ask about churches in NP, but to solicit a discussion about religion and his god.

But a godly person wouldn't troll, now would he?

It was actually a legitimate question. If I wanted to discuss religion and my God I would have posted in the theology thread instead of the local issues/ information thread. I was optimistic that out of the hundreds of gunks climbers there had to be a couple that go to church locally.

#28130 - 04/06/07 01:19 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
The minister at the Lutheran church in New Paltz, and his wife, who has a congregation in, I think, Kingston, are lovely people.

Don't know diddly about the services, but I'd give it a go.

#28133 - 04/06/07 12:45 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: yorick]
talus Offline
veteran

C4C i went to the Lutheran chruch last year for Easter and most likly be there again this Sunday even though I was rasied Catholic and practice Mother Nature now.
anyway the chruch across from SUNY will be fine for what you want. get there early if you want a seat though.

#28134 - 04/06/07 01:52 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: talus]
C4C Offline
stranger

Thanks Talus, that is the kind of feedback that I was looking for. -Todd

#28150 - 04/08/07 12:45 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
Dad4Trad Offline

Loc: New Paltz
C4C,

I guess the first question should have been are there any church friendly climbers? ;\) Anyway, there are a few of us. I am sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I know of at least 4 climbers going to our church this morning. You would have been more than welcome regardless of your clothing. I know one that is wearing jeans and sandals. No big deal.

I guess we should expect these kinds of replies because as a whole, the Christian church has not been very gracious. Shame on us. I hope you had a worshipful experience at the Luthern church. Happy Easter.

D4T

#28217 - 04/12/07 01:23 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
joeantol Offline
journeyman

Loc: New York City
St Joe's in New Paltz has a 5:30 mass on Saturday evening and another at 8:00 am on Sunday morning. The latter should get you to the cliffs by a bit after 9

Catholic's don't really have much of a dress code so climbing attire should be fine.

-- Joe

#28218 - 04/12/07 01:44 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: joeantol]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
 Originally Posted By: joeantol

Catholic's don't really have much of a dress code so climbing attire should be fine.

-- Joe

Maybe not as a corporate policy, but back when I still occasionally went to mass our local head priest scolded the attendees in one of his sermons, saying in effect that shorts and t shirts were not suitable church attire.

This guy was an expert when it came to making the parishners feel unwelcome in his church. You could always count on him to slip into his sermons at the BIG SUNDAYS (Christmas and Easter) some shot about how the good people don't only come to church on those days. Since the crowd on these days was about 3x the usual Sunday size, it was safe bet that most of the locals were not good Catholics. With hot and cold running guilt trips, it's no wonder folks didn't attend regularly.

#28220 - 04/12/07 05:39 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe more folks would have less of a problem with the Catholic church if they stopped hiring and covering for pedophiles.

#28221 - 04/12/07 10:25 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe more folks would have less of a problem with the Catholic church if they stopped hiring and covering for pedophiles.

#28222 - 04/12/07 11:41 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: dalguard]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
I'm down with the JC.

Edited by RangerRob (04/12/07 11:49 AM)

#28226 - 04/12/07 01:49 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: oenophore

Yet, Don Imus gets fired for spreading "HATE"????

#28232 - 04/12/07 03:23 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: strat]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
He's ready for retirement anyway...

#28240 - 04/12/07 06:38 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: strat]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
 Originally Posted By: strat

Don Imus got fired because advertisers defected from his show because they didn't want to be connected to him or to his comments. He is a hateful, nasty man but that's not why he got fired.

#28241 - 04/12/07 06:57 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: learningtolead]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: learningtolead

Don Imus got fired because advertisers defected from his show because they didn't want to be connected to him or to his comments. He is a hateful, nasty man but that's not why he got fired.

Because advertisers fear the impact on their business of being seen as an organization that spreads "HATE".

What's your point? The almighty dollar rules everything? Where do those dollars come from?

#28242 - 04/12/07 07:14 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: learningtolead]
talus Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: learningtolead

gee is all that hate the reason why Imus donated money to Hackensack Hospital so they can extend their facilities for children with cancer.

Edited by talus (04/12/07 07:14 PM)

#28243 - 04/12/07 08:35 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: talus]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: talus
gee is all that hate the reason why Imus donated money to Hackensack Hospital so they can extend their facilities for children with cancer.

It really doesn't matter what good deeds he's done with his money. The fact remains that he has a history of making hateful statements and slurs directed against women, gays, and various ethnic and religious populations. His race-baiting bigotry is hardly a one-time occurrence.

It's also obvious that this thread deviated from the OP quite some time ago and rightfully should be in the P,T&OCI forum.

#28244 - 04/12/07 08:42 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: MarcC]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

So now the quote of Imus has become the greatest teapot tempest since the mystery of the paternity of A N Smith's daughter. And it's a local issue, no less. For some critics perhaps, the death penalty for this quip is insufficiently severe.

#28245 - 04/12/07 08:44 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

This is in the same league as Imus, isn't it?

#28246 - 04/12/07 08:46 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: strat]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You mean there are nappyheaded hos in the Catholic Church too?

#28247 - 04/12/07 08:47 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No, I mean that it ranks up there with his brand of hateful statements against religious populations with its implication that all catholic churches are staffed with pedophiles that receive oral sex from kids....

I find it strange that the very society that accepts this as a snicker-funny haha rejects nappyheaded ho on the radio? especially when one can turn the dial to a radio station that has songs that use the word ho over and over again.

Fucked up.

#28248 - 04/12/07 08:57 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: strat]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No, I mean that all Catholic Churches are staffed with pedophiles who receive oral sex from children.

It's a matter of public record that the Catholic Church has indeed hired pedophiles, knowingly kept them in positions of authority, and moved them to different locales to shield them from prosecution. Stating a fact is not the same as Imus' racial remarks. OTOH, the fabricated stained glass window is indeed in the same territory as Imus.

#28249 - 04/12/07 09:00 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: strat]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

No, I mean that it ranks up there with his brand of hateful statements against religious populations with its implication that all catholic churches are staffed with pedophiles that receive oral sex from kids....

I find it strange that the very society that accepts this as a snicker-funny haha rejects nappyheaded ho on the radio? especially when one can turn the dial to a radio station that has songs that use the word ho over and over again.

Fucked up.
I fully agree. Fucked-up describes so much in our culture.

OTOH, the fabricated stained glass window is indeed in the same territory as Imus.

I received that picture in an e-letter some years ago and thought it may rate a laugh in this context. In my opinion, the stained glass window isn't a put-up job but a photo of a real one whose designer didn't think about another thing the window might depict.

#28250 - 04/12/07 09:11 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: strat]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

...especially when one can turn the dial to a radio station that has songs that use the word ho over and over again.

At least some folks are examining just that point.

Here's one op-ed about it.

In 2005, Essence Magazine started the Take Back The Music campaign.

Pam Spaulding in her Pandagon Blog has this to say.

#28357 - 04/18/07 05:06 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: MarcC]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
[/quote]It's a matter of public record that the Catholic Church has indeed hired pedophiles, knowingly kept them in positions of authority, and moved them to different locales to shield them from prosecution. Stating a fact is not the same as Imus' racial remarks. OTOH, the fabricated stained glass window is indeed in the same territory as Imus. [/quote]

It's also a matter of public record that at least two of the basketball players who spoke out against Imus were pretty damn nappy headed.

Edited by pitfall (04/18/07 05:07 PM)

#28379 - 04/19/07 11:01 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: Dad4Trad]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dad4Trad
C4C,

I guess the first question should have been are there any church friendly climbers? ;\) Anyway, there are a few of us. I am sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I know of at least 4 climbers going to our church this morning. You would have been more than welcome regardless of your clothing. I know one that is wearing jeans and sandals. No big deal.

I guess we should expect these kinds of replies because as a whole, the Christian church has not been very gracious. Shame on us. I hope you had a worshipful experience at the Luthern church. Happy Easter.

D4T
Pious climbers, it seems, are in good company.

#28403 - 04/19/07 05:15 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
C4C Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Dad4Trad
C4C,

D4T
Pious climbers, it seems, are in good company.
I'm not sure I follow your meaning/intention.

#28405 - 04/19/07 05:20 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Just a guess here... but I think wine bucket was trying to point out that there are some relatively famous climbers that embrace religion...

Interesting grave marker from the site:

#28420 - 04/19/07 07:01 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: Dillbag]
C4C Offline
stranger

Oh you mean like Tobin Sorenson?

#28435 - 04/20/07 01:42 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
*ChurchBob*

#29356 - 05/19/07 07:28 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

Back to the original question.....Probably most of the churches will be welcoming you, so long as you take off at least the hexes before walking in.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored