Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#28109 - 04/05/07 05:37 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
C4C Offline
stranger

Although the thought of that sounds fun, I would rather get some beta and find a good one. Maybe that is too much to ask?
The Lutheran church across from SUNY looks ok. Does anyone have any firsthand experience there? I'm not a big fan of Liturgical tradition too much, does anyone know if it is oldschool Lutheran or more contemporary. Some have two seperate services.

#28110 - 04/05/07 05:46 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
 Originally Posted By: C4C
Although the thought of that sounds fun, I would rather get some beta and find a good one. Maybe that is too much to ask?
The Lutheran church across from SUNY looks ok. Does anyone have any firsthand experience there? I'm not a big fan of Liturgical tradition too much, does anyone know if it is oldschool Lutheran or more contemporary. Some have two seperate services.
Alas, from your point of view, nearly all Gunkies seem to be impious cusses. In my nearly three decades of climbing, I met only one climber who attended church on Sundays.

#28112 - 04/05/07 05:58 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: oenophore]
C4C Offline
stranger

oenophore, If I ever have the pleasure of meeting you, then that would make two. -Todd

#28114 - 04/05/07 06:45 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
Just put a t-shirt on over the sports bra and I'm sure any church will be glad to see you.

#28115 - 04/05/07 06:53 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: dalguard]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
ive seen some fairly normal (non-suit wearing) people walking in and out of the church across from hoffmans and the gas station, here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=l&hl=en&q=...qORkYMnondPIB0g

Edited by empicard (04/05/07 06:54 PM)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#28117 - 04/05/07 07:22 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
<<<--- would be expelled from any church that she went to regardless of what she was wearing. it seems they don't like the comment, this is all crap anyway. oh well...

when my folks came to visit they wanted to go to church on saturday evening so i dropped them off and went to bacchus for a couple of beers and some sweet potato fries. they were tasty!

#28119 - 04/05/07 08:46 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: learningtolead]
rg@ofmc Online   content
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Poughkeepsie, NY
C4C, I'm sorry I can't help you out, but I'd like to express my embarrasment at the intolerance and insensitivity of some of my threadmates. You asked a perfectly simple question and deserved either a simple answer, if anyone has one, or else the silence of the uninformed.

Why some people found it necessary to package their lack of knowledge about your question with cheap shots at your faith is a genuine mystery to me. Kudos to you for handling it with a lot more grace and dignity than you were shown.

#28120 - 04/05/07 09:50 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: rg@ofmc]
C4C Offline
stranger

rg@ofmc, Thanks for the kind words. I have come to kind of expect it from my experiences posting on other climbing forums. No harm done. -Todd

#28121 - 04/05/07 10:09 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: C4C
I have come to kind of expect it from my experiences posting on other climbing forums.

RG is correct, of course, and my post was certainly one of the more cynical. However, a little introspection about why your posts on various climbing fora elicit such responses might be enlightening.

#28122 - 04/05/07 10:11 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: rg@ofmc]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
RG, do you really think there are climber-unfriendly churches? The OP, for all his supposed faith, doesn't have much faith. Pick a church and go to it. I don't believe in your God but I do believe in the ability of the churches in New Paltz to welcome a stranger to their services, regardless of how said stranger is dressed.

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored