Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#28123 - 04/05/07 10:24 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: MarcC]
C4C Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: MarcC
 Originally Posted By: C4C
I have come to kind of expect it from my experiences posting on other climbing forums.

RG is correct, of course, and my post was certainly one of the more cynical. However, a little introspection about why your posts on various climbing fora elicit such responses might be enlightening.

Marc, I'm not sure if that was a statement or a question or exactly what it means?

#28125 - 04/05/07 11:16 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: rg@ofmc]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
 Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
Why some people found it necessary to package their lack of knowledge about your question with cheap shots at your faith is a genuine mystery to me.

It's not a mystery to me.

I erased a few "cheaper" shots than the one I posted. I am almost always suspicious of people who come to a secular place to discuss religion. In this case, I am suspicious that the purpose behind C4C's post was not to ask about churches in NP, but to solicit a discussion about religion and his god.

But a godly person wouldn't troll, now would he?

#28129 - 04/06/07 01:04 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: Julie]
C4C Offline
stranger

Originally Posted By: Julie
 Originally Posted By: rg@ofmc
Why some people found it necessary to package their lack of knowledge about your question with cheap shots at your faith is a genuine mystery to me.

It's not a mystery to me.

I erased a few "cheaper" shots than the one I posted. I am almost always suspicious of people who come to a secular place to discuss religion. In this case, I am suspicious that the purpose behind C4C's post was not to ask about churches in NP, but to solicit a discussion about religion and his god.

But a godly person wouldn't troll, now would he?

It was actually a legitimate question. If I wanted to discuss religion and my God I would have posted in the theology thread instead of the local issues/ information thread. I was optimistic that out of the hundreds of gunks climbers there had to be a couple that go to church locally.

#28130 - 04/06/07 01:19 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
yorick Offline
old hand

Loc: hamlet\'s hand
The minister at the Lutheran church in New Paltz, and his wife, who has a congregation in, I think, Kingston, are lovely people.

Don't know diddly about the services, but I'd give it a go.

#28133 - 04/06/07 12:45 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: yorick]
talus Offline
veteran

C4C i went to the Lutheran chruch last year for Easter and most likly be there again this Sunday even though I was rasied Catholic and practice Mother Nature now.
anyway the chruch across from SUNY will be fine for what you want. get there early if you want a seat though.

#28134 - 04/06/07 01:52 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: talus]
C4C Offline
stranger

Thanks Talus, that is the kind of feedback that I was looking for. -Todd

#28150 - 04/08/07 12:45 PM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
Dad4Trad Offline

Loc: New Paltz
C4C,

I guess the first question should have been are there any church friendly climbers? ;\) Anyway, there are a few of us. I am sorry I didn't see your post earlier. I know of at least 4 climbers going to our church this morning. You would have been more than welcome regardless of your clothing. I know one that is wearing jeans and sandals. No big deal.

I guess we should expect these kinds of replies because as a whole, the Christian church has not been very gracious. Shame on us. I hope you had a worshipful experience at the Luthern church. Happy Easter.

D4T

#28217 - 04/12/07 01:23 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: C4C]
joeantol Offline
journeyman

Loc: New York City
St Joe's in New Paltz has a 5:30 mass on Saturday evening and another at 8:00 am on Sunday morning. The latter should get you to the cliffs by a bit after 9

Catholic's don't really have much of a dress code so climbing attire should be fine.

-- Joe

#28218 - 04/12/07 01:44 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: joeantol]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
 Originally Posted By: joeantol

Catholic's don't really have much of a dress code so climbing attire should be fine.

-- Joe

Maybe not as a corporate policy, but back when I still occasionally went to mass our local head priest scolded the attendees in one of his sermons, saying in effect that shorts and t shirts were not suitable church attire.

This guy was an expert when it came to making the parishners feel unwelcome in his church. You could always count on him to slip into his sermons at the BIG SUNDAYS (Christmas and Easter) some shot about how the good people don't only come to church on those days. Since the crowd on these days was about 3x the usual Sunday size, it was safe bet that most of the locals were not good Catholics. With hot and cold running guilt trips, it's no wonder folks didn't attend regularly.

#28220 - 04/12/07 05:39 AM Re: Climber friendly churches near the gunks? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Maybe more folks would have less of a problem with the Catholic church if they stopped hiring and covering for pedophiles.

Page 3 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored