Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#28382 - 04/19/07 02:43 PM Virginia Tech
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
All I can say outside of this be a tragic situation for the people and families involved, is screw the news agency SOB’s namely at NBC (Other news outlets are just as guilty) for airing that crap that was mailed to them. They have managed without a doubt to give Cho Seung-Hui some sick and twisted martyr status for every other demented person waiting in the wings to follow. He does not deserve the respect of airing his manifesto to all of America. (He got what is wanted)

And people wonder why this kind of violence continues on….

#28395 - 04/19/07 04:27 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Smike]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
And people wonder why this kind of violence continues on….

That's it? The perp did what he did because he knew his video would be aired?

#28402 - 04/19/07 05:08 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Smike]
Daniel Online   content
veteran

I agree that many major news outlets have grabbed this story as the topic of the week and are milking it for all it's worth, long after there is anything new to report. But why do they do it?

Because enough people watch.

The problem isn't them; its us. Enough people got outraged (justly or not) about Don Imus to get him fired. If enough people got outraged over sensationalistic coverage when substance has been exhausted, we'd see a change there too. But evidently we're not there yet.

#28404 - 04/19/07 05:16 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Daniel]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Daniel is spot-on.

The day before I flew to Shanghai, I saw a piece on CNN about farmer protests that were taking place on the outskirts of Guangzhou. Protests associated with land-ownership. According to CNN there was something like 300,000 people protesting.

Not a PEEP about it in the Shanghai and Guangzhou newspapers and none of the chinese that I were with had any idea it was going on.

Where's the right balance?

#28406 - 04/19/07 05:23 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: strat]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Another story similar to Strats...

A collegue of mine from Paris was in Chicago during the "Paris Riots" last summer...
While watching american tv he saw footage and banners saying "Verge of Civil War" etc... Called his parents back in France, and got the French side of the story, which was there were a couple people rioting but no big deal...

Balance?

#28408 - 04/19/07 05:38 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Dillbag]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Except for my example demonstrates that the PRC most definitely has tight control over information.

#28413 - 04/19/07 05:58 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Daniel]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Of course they do for ratings and the news media holds that as he all mighty. My point is really that no one should wonder why this type of violence continues to increase after seeing the way this situation is being handed by news outlets. I don’t think for one moment that martyr status was only a small portion of the motive. This is the same as terrorism only in that it involves the ideas and beliefs of one person and not a group. As in terrorism public impact is the main motive.

Cho Seung-Hui stated over and over again he would be dead when this was aired, so it is us the public that have fulfilled his last wish. I wonder if any of the victims last wishes may ever be fulfilled.

#28416 - 04/19/07 06:12 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Smike]
Carpal Tunnel

My point is really that no one should wonder why this type of violence continues to increase after seeing the way this situation is being handed by news outlets.

Do you really believe that soft-pedaling such incidents newswise would help alleviate the problem?

#28417 - 04/19/07 06:23 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: Smike]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Smike
Of course they do for ratings and the news media holds that as he all mighty. My point is really that no one should wonder why this type of violence continues to increase after seeing the way this situation is being handed by news outlets. I don’t think for one moment that martyr status was only a small portion of the motive. This is the same as terrorism only in that it involves the ideas and beliefs of one person and not a group. As in terrorism public impact is the main motive.

Cho Seung-Hui stated over and over again he would be dead when this was aired, so it is us the public that have fulfilled his last wish. I wonder if any of the victims last wishes may ever be fulfilled.

Disagreed.

I think giving people like this this type of media-coverage is a very very small contributing factor to these types of events. It will take years to separate the facts of this case from the media misinformation. But, when it is done, I think some of the more important underlying themes will be some deep societal problems that exist that breed this type of hatred and then allow someone with a checkered past like this to slip through the 'system'. And while my gun-toating brethren will shudder when I say this- why does a dude like this have easy, legal access to handguns?

Edited by strat (04/19/07 06:58 PM)
Edit Reason: they might shutter too

#28418 - 04/19/07 06:33 PM Re: Virginia Tech [Re: strat]
Carpal Tunnel

And while my gun-toating brethren will shutter when I say this- why does a dude like this have easy, legal access to handguns?

What I find amusing about this, if one may derive any amusement from this incident, is that some critics advocate stricter gun laws and others advocate relaxing them so that potential victims can gun down the perp before he kills others.
I've heard that behind many of these "Columbine-like" incidents are anti-depressant drugs that the killers were on. This may come out here too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored