Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
#29801 - 06/06/07 01:14 AM Re: More Alien issues? [Re: chip]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Does anyone remember stoppers or tri-cams? I seem to remember a pretty good pink tri-cam at the start of Absurdland, if one would choose to place anything there.

RR

#29802 - 06/06/07 03:05 AM Re: More Alien issues? [Re: RangerRob]
mworking Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Does anyone remember stoppers or tri-cams?...
RR

Since you're asking, it sounds as if I placed a bomber nut where Chip remebers a blue Alien on DD. That was after the high traverse as Dawn does it.

I have to admit that on my last trip i placed only a few nuts in a day of climbing, far fewer than I have ever placed before. Not sure, but I think I was trying to be efficient, and I really didn't feel as if I needed the pro very often that day.

Edited by mworking (06/06/07 03:14 AM)

#29839 - 06/06/07 05:44 PM Re: More Alien issues? [Re: mworking]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Not completely sure why, but it is the green alien that I feel just fits better than anything else for that size and which I am most reluctant to give up. Yeah, a blue C4 is essentially the same size but sometimes the crack just doesn't quite accomodate the wider set-up of the cams. The larger two C3s are just a bit bigger and smaller than this size, besides which, I really like 4 cams when I can get 'em. Anything else protects fine with Tri-cams, C3s, nuts. The time is now for someone to take up the design and make a more reliable device, but this is very unlikely with the patent running out unless the current owner realizes there is little worth left to the company name and takes what little is offered now, instead of letting the whole thing go for nothing next year.

#30335 - 06/19/07 08:21 PM Potential Legal Action Against CCH [Re: nerdom]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA

#30363 - 06/20/07 01:40 PM Re: Potential Legal Action Against CCH [Re: d-elvis]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
 Quote:
If you have been injured due to the failure of a mountain climbing camming anchor (alien cam)

Sounds like they know their stuff.

#30417 - 06/21/07 09:05 PM Re: Potential Legal Action Against CCH [Re: d-elvis]
Climer Offline
enthusiast

When the lawyers crosshair you like that...its dread man...real dread

CLimer

#30423 - 06/21/07 10:34 PM Re: Potential Legal Action Against CCH [Re: Climer]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
From the looks of the group that is asking about injuries... Seems like they are "ambulance chasers" or more correctly "products that have been recalled chasers"

Doesn't look like they were approached by anyone to sue on their behalf... Looks more like they are looking for someone to allow them to sue!

#30425 - 06/22/07 01:10 AM Re: Potential Legal Action Against CCH [Re: Dillbag]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Judging from the settlement history well in advance of several million from many prior cases, these lawyers seem to be much more then the typical ambulance chasers. It appears they are in a research phase and will evaluate whether they will take on the case based on the feedback they get. If I was CCH, I would be very afraid if they decide to build a case, these guys don't look like fly by night type lawyers.

#30430 - 06/22/07 12:58 PM Re: Potential Legal Action Against CCH [Re: Smike]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
IMO, CCH is a small shop, they "probably" carry liability insurance, but the limits on that would get hit fast and then on to the company's assets.

#30800 - 07/04/07 08:41 AM Re: More Alien issues? [Re: learningtolead]
rackrat Offline

Loc: NYC - UWS
Simply put, there's no reason to use gear whose safety is in question, given that there are a number of solid design & production companies out there. I have a yellow and green 01' aliens on my rack, both fallen on and both tested to 75%. I've retired the other aliens for sole use on my big-wall rack, as they were later additions and have passed some basic tests to around 25%.

Metolius UL TCU's and BD C3's fill out the small cams section of my rack. They are both lighter, more durable, and properly tested. If you compare the designs of C3's, Metolius Ultra Lights, and Aliens... the Aliens simply don't stack up anymore. When introduced, they were innovative. At this point, their design has been surpassed.

My rack has changed over the last 15 years. Started with Ovals on Perlon and Nylon, now have Heliums on Spectra and Dyneema. Times change, we need to change with them.

Page 16 of 18 < 1 2 ... 14 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored