Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#29010 - 05/09/07 06:09 PM **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks
Jan Wellford Offline
stranger

Update: Apparently it was an animal. Ha!

We don't normally deal with this crap here, but it happened today. This is second hand from one of the victims. Be wary!

Three men climbing at the Chapel Pond slab today saw someone going through their packs when they were high on the route. After descending they found that the theif had taken their car key from a pack, broken into the car and stolen wallets, cell phones, etc and generally rifled through everything in the car. The car was locked and the key was nowhere to be found when they got to it.

That's about all I know, but if I find out more I'll post. The police are involved, hopefully then can do something but I don't imagine there's much to be done.

Edited by Jan Wellford (05/09/07 07:38 PM)

#29012 - 05/09/07 08:05 PM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: Jan Wellford]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
An animal with a cellphone now?

#29017 - 05/10/07 03:16 AM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: Jan Wellford]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
If the thief had the car key from the pack, he wouldn't really have had to "break in" to the car now, would he?

I witnessed a raven thoroughly empty my pack at the base of Chapel Pond slab. If there had been some loose stones on the 4th pitch I coulda had some good fun. But alas, I had nothing to throw.

#29022 - 05/10/07 12:15 PM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: Mike Rawdon]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
biners. would have been worth it if you hit the bird.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#29043 - 05/10/07 10:54 PM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: Mike Rawdon]
caver Offline
enthusiast

Loc: High Falls
I once saw a red squirrel chewing into my pack at the base of Square ledge, across from Mt. Washington....this is also a hiking destination with scenic overlook, so they were waiting for the bling..........bastard merely chattered at me when I missed him by 6 inches with a rock!

#29047 - 05/11/07 03:04 AM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: caver]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Chapel pond is right next to the road... why leave a pack at the base at all??

Funny though!

#29048 - 05/11/07 04:12 AM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: Jan Wellford]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Jan Wellford
Update: Apparently it was an animal. Ha!

We don't normally deal with this crap here, but it happened today. This is second hand from one of the victims. Be wary!

Three men climbing at the Chapel Pond slab today saw someone going through their packs when they were high on the route.

I guess the animal was named Chicken Little. Thank you for the alarmist post, second hand no less.

#29074 - 05/11/07 11:33 PM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: MarcC]
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
monkey stole my only water bottle while suiting up for 5 pitches...but it was better than being attacked by ringtail cats on washington's column or el cap...where do those #*?!* come from.

Sounds like someone needs to evoke the vigilante...the vigilante was the climber that got sick of being ripped off at the red so he hid in the flatbed of his truck with a bat...I think the person had it comin.

#29075 - 05/11/07 11:35 PM Re: **False Alarm** Theft in the Adirondacks [Re: BobbyS]
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
Insurance is a good thing to have if you are traveling on the road and have lots of gear. In Sedona with a friend our window was smashed and they got wallets, phones, etc.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored