Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#2984 - 08/24/01 01:45 PM Cruise/Climbing
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, time to brag and ask a few questions at the same time. at the end of sept i am going on a cruise, we are spending a few days in New Orleans first and then we stop in Montigo Bay, Jamaca; Grand Caymen; and plya de carmen, Mexico. When in Mexico I do not think that i will be able to climb because i am going to go on a tour of the Myan Ruins. but would i have any other reason to bring some gear to any of these places? all i can really bring is shoes, chalk bag, and harnes with a few beaners/ATC. I would be looking for bouldering or a place i might be able to hook up with some one at the base of the cliff for a climb or two. i will have my girlfriend with me who will be against it so i can not spend all day doing it, just a few hours if i have the chance. Any ideas?

#2985 - 08/24/01 02:15 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Book that Carnival ship with the climbing wall on the side of the smokestack.

#2986 - 08/24/01 02:16 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing
PeteG Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Saranac Lake, NY
I've cruised in the Caribbeans a few times and have generally been disappointed in climbing opportunities when all you have is a day to spend in each port - and not a full day at that. Many beaches have some bouldering opportunities, but the rocks are *very* sharp. I tried to boulder in Martinique and cut my fingers. Inland cliffs are usually covered with foliage, have lots of bees/bugs, and require bushwhacking to get to. I don't remember seeing any such cliffs in Cayman Islands.

Jamaica has some cliffs, where divers jump into a pool, but the cliffs were dirty, wet, and slimy -- Dunns River Falls, if my memory serves me correctly.

There is some climbing in Cayman Brac, but if all you have is one day, it's not doable as you'll spend nearly all of the day traveling to and from the place -- unless you have loads of cash and hire a private plane. Aruba is a known climbing area but that's even farther away.

There are some cliffs in the US and British Virgin Islands waiting for someone to develop, but your itinerary does not include those places.

Pete

#2987 - 08/24/01 03:18 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Anonymous
Unregistered

That ship does not sail out of New Orleans and we decided to spend a few days there first instead of the one with the wall. plus we got a great deal on this one. $600 pp for a 7 day cruise, including all tips and stuff. (not booze but was told i could get beers for $2 on the ship)

Plus My girlfriend woul kill me if i spent the whole week climbing....

#2988 - 08/24/01 03:53 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing
daryl512 Offline

veteran

Loc: Rochester, NY
Cyclimber,
My wife and I honeymooned on a cruise a few years ago. Our ports were Haiti, Jamaica, Grand Caymen , and Playa Del Carmen-Mexico. I do not REMEMBER seeing anything really worth climbing in any of those spots. I don't think it would hurt to bring shoes and chalk just in-case though.

Daryl

p.s. You could probably boulder at the Mayan ruins, after all they are just ruins.

you don't stop playing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop playing.

#2989 - 08/24/01 05:25 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing [Re: Mike Rawdon]
PeteG Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Saranac Lake, NY
Mike,

Carnival now has a rock climbing wall? I didn't see any mention of it when I visited their site about a week ago.

Royal Caribbean ships "Voyager of the Sea" and "Explorer of the Sea" have climbing walls, and I have actually thought about booking a cruise on one of those ships just because of the wall. I sent RC e-mail asking about the rules and they weren't too bad; basically:

1. Must be belayed by a ship staff member (tips $$).
2. Time limit 90 minutes per session (but you can sign up for multiple sessions in a day).
3. Helmets optional.

Pete

#2990 - 08/24/01 05:39 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing
Climer Offline
enthusiast

Cancel the cruise and head to the valley

jeesh
Climer

#2991 - 08/24/01 05:47 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing [Re: Climer]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Yeah, I remember similar conflicts when I was married. If you wanna climb, it's very simple. Dump the girl, wife, boyfriend, husband, whatever and go climbing!
Relationships probably get in the way of climbing much more than jobs do. Unless you can find someone who IS REALLY a climber at heart, like I've been fortunate enough to do. Other people will never understand when you want to climb.

#2992 - 08/24/01 07:43 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing [Re: phlan]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Not that big of a conflict. I am happy with her. I still get to climb at least every other weekend (she works ever other). Plus i can even get her to come climbing a few times a year.

#2993 - 08/25/01 07:50 PM Re: Cruise/Climbing
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Been my experience that whenever there is a wall in a public place, read cruise ship, park, amusement park, etc. the wall is easy and only good for beginners and birthday parties. Never any good routes. Just slimy buckets. Dont choose the ship for the wall. Go for the destinations.

Charlie

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored