Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (wivanov, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#31424 - 07/23/07 02:32 PM Weekend Accident Report...
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Heard about two accidents this weekend...

First, on Saturday someone ripped two pieces out on 'Alfonse' and had a very swollen ankle but walked out.

Second, Sunday a climber fell on 'Beginners Delight' and had possibly broken a leg... Rangers were out with the backboard just in-case.

Anyone have more info on these two incidents? Why the pieces pulled... What happened on BG to cause an injury that serious?

Stay safe!

#31452 - 07/23/07 08:51 PM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: Dillbag]
Elwood54 Offline
journeyman

Loc: NYC

#31459 - 07/24/07 12:20 AM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: Elwood54]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
An accident in which the party administers their own first aid and their own evacuation, (not that it was an "evacuation"), is not really an incident at all. Kudos to them for not making a big deal out of it. One broken ankle means you still have one good one to hobble out on.

RR

#31461 - 07/24/07 01:18 AM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: RangerRob]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

True... It doesn't count in the official books, but if somebody rips out two pieces and busts up their ankle... It would be nice to find out what happened.

And the second accident I posted... That person did not "hobble" out on their own, they were strapped to the backboard and carried out...

The report on RC.com seems to confuse and combine both accidents.
Saturday's "non-incident" had two peices pull... Did Sunday's also?

Anybody who was there have some info on the guy from BD?

#31463 - 07/24/07 04:34 AM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: Dillbag]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dillbag
True... It doesn't count in the official books, but if somebody rips out two pieces and busts up their ankle... It would be nice to find out what happened.

Um, they effed up placing those two pieces - pilot error, nothing more. There's no point in "finding out what happened" other than morbid curiosity. There's actually remarkably little to "learn" from the vast majority of accidents that hasn't be rehashed thousands of times before.

#31465 - 07/24/07 12:30 PM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: MarcC]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

....but morbid curiosity is an american tradition! From the sideshow three-headed snake with legs of the 19th century to reality television, we've a fascination with the Sesame Street-syle concept of "One of these Things doesn't belong here, See if you can guess which one..."

#31467 - 07/24/07 12:38 PM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: Terrie]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

This is more along the lines that I was looking for...

Originally Posted By: gunked on RC.com
Yeah, I witnessed the fall. It was BIG!!! I was at the ledge between the first pitch anchor of Hawk and Peregrine. I didn't see where he fell from, although I was told it was from the Minty anchor. I will say that he finished falling, at most, 10 feet above the second pitch Minty anchor and off to the left of it. From my angle, it was quite obvious. My best guess on his fall was in the 50 ft. range. What's the distance between anchors 2 and 3 on Minty?

By the time I got down to help, he was wrapped up and strapped down to the litter. I assisted with the carry out as best I could. Still nursing my sprained ankle from a few weeks ago.

His right leg was busted. I'm just guessing on this one, but he might have done some back damage because of the way he fell. When he came to a stop on the rope, he was facing the sky and did a pretty severe back-bend(arms out and all) as best I could make out.

It was a pretty well executed carry-out especially considering the guy's size(maybe 225-250 lbs.?) and the steep terrain and sharp bends on the descent trail. It wen't off without a hitch. Bob, Jim and Dave we're guiding in the area and their groups were very helpful as well as everyone else around.

I heard somebody say (don't remember who) that he messed up clipping in to the anchor and his partner heard him say "Oops" before he fell.

That's all I know about this one.

-Jason

Link

#31489 - 07/25/07 01:49 PM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: Dillbag]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
If that's really what you are looking for, then it seems you know right where to find it.

#31780 - 08/01/07 05:37 PM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: pda]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Update on the accidents... Including the latest one this past Saturday (at approx. 7pm)...

Gunks Accident(s) this weekend?

#31798 - 08/01/07 06:39 PM Re: Weekend Accident Report... [Re: Dillbag]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
 Originally Posted By: Dillbag
Update on the accidents... Including the latest one this past Saturday (at approx. 7pm)...

Gunks Accident(s) this weekend?

I spoke with a guy at the gym last night who said he's friends with the guy who fell on Minty; he confirmed the facts as stated on that site, i.e., that he clipped a single piece of webbing at the rap anchor, and it failed when he weighted it.

How the hell does a seconding climber fall on Arrow, hit a ledge and fracture a leg? I can't draw any conclusion other than that she had an inattentive belayer?

Speedy recovery to all.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored