Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34298 - 11/08/07 12:35 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: Fraser]
felix m Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: Fraser
D - Thanks - I am training for the Wagathon IV.

you would have been a likely candidate for buying that first round. If there is a IV we will look forward to seeing you there. Again congrats on that NY time,: I can not comprehend it myself but can admire the dedication and training that goes into such an accomplishment. My friends son just did his 2nd NY, an unassuming 27 year old from Beacon, NY, He trained at 100 mile weeks. Phil Shea Jr. took 109th place with a 2:40:03. Won't be at the WAG though - his father won't tell him!

as for this years WAG the weather forcast looks to be perfect which will enhance the wonderful views along the course. There is a point along the Smiley Carrigeway where you just look up the ridge, breathtaking really. Also, conditions in the badlands are a bit drier this year.
part of the appeal to this "event" is seeing who might actually show up come run day. This is only the third year but the interest seems to be growing and at least a couple of local accomplished distance runners will be doing there first WAG. I believe most of last years crowd will show up as well, and like I say, who knows who else?
rock & snow is "unofficially" offering up a pair of INOV8 trail shoes to both the mens and ladies top finisher. That should offset the cost of having to buy the first round. But that won't be me, as usual I am woefully unprepared, last run being a lackluster performance at Paltz Point.
but we go....

#34325 - 11/10/07 08:52 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: The Lisa]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
 Originally Posted By: The Lisa
That is an excellent race time! I am over 10 years younger, and jealous.

Lisa - you know what they say (Groucho Marx actually), you are as young as the woman you feel!

#34326 - 11/10/07 08:52 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: Fraser]
Fraser Offline
old hand

To all running the Wagathon tomorrow, we salute you!

#34349 - 11/13/07 01:03 AM Re: Wagathon III [Re: Fraser]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
A bunch of my friends ran the Wagathon - sounds like it was a great day out, complete with snow!

#34369 - 11/13/07 11:47 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: The Lisa]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Ok, inquiring minds want to know:

who threw up
who crapped their pants
who terrorized the natives
who finished, if anyone
who paid for beer?

I almost went to watch, but I went back to sleep...

#34391 - 11/15/07 12:54 AM Re: Wagathon III [Re: Fraser]
felix m Offline
journeyman

What's the big deal with 30 miles when you can run 100?

That pretty much sums up at least 5 of this years WAG field of 10. I felt like a little leaguer who just had the Red Sox show up for a wiffle ball game. Like I say you never know who's going to show up to these things and this years 4 mystery guests fit that bill, all having impressive long distance experience. Included amongst them was Glen Redpath who finished 6th in this years notorious Western States 100 & Nathan Echols who finished top 10 at the 2007 Vermont 100. Rounding out the mystery guests were this year's top WAG female finisher Jenny Chow and Kent Shiver. Kudos to those guys for treating this as the fun run that it is and thanks for coming out.
Pretty darn cold at the start but things warmed nicely as the day progressed. About 2" of snow for the first third of the run made for interesting footing.
First in was local runner/ triathlete/climber Tom DeHaan, 44 with a time of 5:33 shaving about 7 minutes off Zac Charlop-Powers time last year. Tom 's a pretty mellow guy until a run starts and then look out. I hear he was awesome going through the "swamps." Consistently finishes top 20 at Escarpment and SOS. Congrats to Tom and thanks for doing this one.

I think second in was Joe Brown with a time of 5:57:30. Joe is another local and one time climber with a passion for very long runs. This summer he once again successfully completed the Vermont 100 followed only a week later with his 15th? Escarpment Run. Great and always the encouraging guy.

Of the 10 starters 8 completed the entire course including myself who's off the couch effort wasn't pretty but worked. Views were simply wonderful especially from the tower where one could look back all the way to the antennas at Sam's Point. From that vantage point you can really appreciate the distance and still 6 miles to go. Unfortunately by the time I got in things had pretty much wrapped up at the otter so Tom you still owe me a beer or in this case root beer!

Thanks to John Grald and Donna Graham-Finan who pre-ran the course on Saturday in 3 plus inches of snow! Their footprints made the route finding through the badlands rudimentary for the newcomers.
Also thanks to the hotel guests and visitors that helped the leaders uncover from the snow the "Bush" cards at the top of the tower. I hear they really enjoyed being part of the scavenger hunt and helping the runners who at mile 24 couldn't bend over too easily.
Thanks also to Zac CP for staying with me through the real tough miles! Zac is such a cool kid. A few years ago I took him for his first ever rock climb - Westward Ha! He pulled off a TV size block on the first pitch and ended up dangling in space. Finished the route without a problem. Just imagine having to rap into Millbrook as your very first climbing experience. Off the couch top 20 finishes at Escarpment past 2 years and is working on his Ph.D.
Thanks to Sam's Point Preserve, Minniwaska State Park, Mohonk Preserve, & The Mohonk Mountain House for keeping the ridge accessible. Thanks to Rock and Snow for the shoes.
Finally, thanks to my seven year old daughter Sophia who biked out to Sky Top after school Friday in less than ideal conditions and for helping me stash the cards. The return ride back to West Trapps in the snow (and cold) was quite an ordeal!

Until next time, unless Bush (or that fascist Giuliani) starts WWIII

FREE SKYTOP, please......

#34394 - 11/15/07 02:08 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: felix m]
talus Offline
veteran

"or that fascist Giuliani"

really

the sum up was great until you added that ass comment

#34395 - 11/15/07 02:20 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: talus]
felix m Offline
journeyman

now, now John, no swearing on the forum thanks. kids could be watching. I love your photo's though, so keep them coming.

http://antiwar.com/pat/?articleid=11880

#34396 - 11/15/07 02:32 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: felix m]
talus Offline
veteran

sorry how about democrat comment. when did Rudy say he wasn't going to talk with Iran. or is that just speculation. sorry major thread drift.

thank you for compliment. i'll post one later

#34397 - 11/15/07 02:40 PM Re: Wagathon III [Re: talus]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Meanwhile, back at the trail ...

(Wrong forum gents.)

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored