Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#32189 - 08/13/07 07:15 PM ClimbingPartner.com Launch
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...

I’m pleased to announce that after several years of development, we are today launching ClimbingPartner.com, a NATION-wide database for finding climbing partners.

ClimbingPartner.com connects you with climbers who want to climb at the same crag on the same day that you do. Ads placed on our calendar allows you to see who's climbing where and when, and allows you to "screen" climbers based on what they say about themselves AND reports from previous climbing partners.

The site has numerous improvements over the original Gunks.com partner site, most notably that you don’t need to pay to browse the site, and it’s possible to use the site for FREE. Some other improvements are:
  • you can scan the database and invite specific users
  • ClimbingPartner.com can email you when climbers of your ability (or favorite partners) are seeking partners at your preferred crag(s).
  • a one-page control panel lets you manage all of your climbing activity across multiple crags on multiple continents.
If you’ve ever want to climb more, meet new climbing partners, or discover new climbing destinations, now it's within your reach. I encourage you to visit the site, register (it’s free), and have a look around.

I would be grateful for your comments and questions. Also if you’d like to see additional destinations added to our current list of 100+ crags, please email your suggestions to webmaster@climbingpartner.com.

I hope that all of you will at least register for the service. Even if you don't plan on using the site, registering will allow others to invite you to climb (the system doesn't divulge your email or other contact info). Should you not want to be bothered, you can set the system to prevent invitations from other climbers.

Climb safe.

#32199 - 08/14/07 01:07 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: webmaster]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
So, poking around on it, I wonder: should there be a way that you can give the person at least a vague reason why you're declining their invitation to climb? For example "the date doesn't work for me" "I don't want to climb with a stranger" etc. - because I just got an invitation from someone I'd be happy to climb with, but I felt bad declining it because I didn't have the days off. I guess I could have instead accepted the invitation and then left a comment in the box for her that I was declining?

I suppose that's just really one of the downfalls of having a site where people are paying to get in touch with people. You need to limit the contact or else it defeats the purpose.

#32210 - 08/14/07 04:32 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: Aya]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
Aya Wrote:
 Quote:
should there be a way that you can give the person at least a vague reason why you're declining their invitation to climb? ... I felt bad declining it because I didn't have the days off. I guess I could have instead accepted the invitation and then left a comment

I had the same problem. I did decline or accept with a message. But, I don't see that message now. Perhaps I had already invested too much time and never finished.

The Partner site is much better than it was though. But also as Aya mentions the need to limit communications can be a pain in other ways. I had complained about this in the last version, and found it difficult to make tentative arrangements. Evan can correct me if I am wrong, I don’t think this is entirely a financial concern. I think he intentionally wanted to provide people a way to make arrangements without providing more personal information than they want too.

It has worked out very well for me though. I identified a partner right in my home town.
That's a first. I don’t see how this will help Evan though since we don’t use the board to make plans now.

#32217 - 08/14/07 07:26 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: Aya]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Aya,
In one sense, the ability to simply decline an invitation takes you out of the awkward position of having to explain or make up a reason why you don't accept an invite. The inability to provide the details creates a "take it or leave it" proposition, whereby the person "rejected" doesn't have to take it personally because there's no means of getting personal. If the person inviting you finds another partner, they're not going to lose much sleep wondering why others they invited declined.

If someone invites you a couple of times and you decline each time, I think they'll quickly get the message. If you decline for other reasons, perhaps sending that user an invite in the future will show them you're still interested in climbing with them.

#32220 - 08/14/07 07:52 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: Mark Heyman]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Mark-
It's actually not possible to decline AND send a response message. Declining an invitation, or a calendar response simply means that the responding user sees that you didn't accept. The design in this area arose out of the desire for simplicity.

Considering you can send multiple invites, and receive multiple responses to ads you place on the calendar, I figure that users do not want to spend time reading through decline messages. I realize this may go against some people's desire to be polite in their communications, but I think eliminating the overhead of reading (and writing) these "sorry I can't make it..." messages, has the upside of helping you find a partner more easily.

The idea of the site is to connect you with a suitable partner. Once you accept an invitation or a calendar response, you're free to interface with your partner to your heart's content. If it works out, and you continue to climb together, that's great. I'm not looking to make people slaves to the site. But once you find a partner, I can't imagine you won't continue to use the site when you travel or when your regular partner's unavailable. If you like to climb often, then for most of us, that means having more than one partner to climb with. The site is designed to make it easy to manage climbing with a bunch of people (and meet new ones), rather than having phone or email all your possible partners.

#32255 - 08/15/07 04:48 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: webmaster]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
I had the same problem. I had to decline an invitation becasue the dates did not work, but I really wanted to send a message to the inviter.

I finally hit accept with my message and a the first sentence explaining I was not really accepting. That will only work until accepting will result in a fee being charged.

However, I feel strongly that there should be an option to decline with a message. So much so that I will remove my name from the invitee list if the option is not installed. I think it is rude to merely send a decline and I can envision that more often than not it will be a date conflict and I want to make that clear to the inviter.

TS

Edited by Timbo (08/15/07 04:49 PM)

#32313 - 08/17/07 02:24 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: Timbo]
webmaster Offline

veteran

A false acceptance is a very bad idea. Here's why:

It prevents the person who invited you from getting a different person to climb with that day. When you accept, the system logic says, "ok, that date is taken care of, so I won't let other people respond on that date since this person is already busy". In order to get around this, the person who invited you now has to enter a whole new invitation for the date you accepted on, but couldn't go--a pain in the arse.

Perhaps it's just the name, "invitation" that is making you skittish. Think about it. You're not going to the site to find Mr. or Ms. Right, you're looking for one partner. Most people who want to climb (rather than find a romance) are going to invite more than one partner at a time. Do you really care if climber #8 (of say 10 you invited) wanted to go but has to mow the lawn instead? IMHO, you're concerned with who can go with you on the day you want to climb.

The "excuses" (valid or not) aren't really that important, are they?? As I mentioned earlier, if you want to show the person that invited that you'd like to climb with them, just invite them for another day! To me that seems much easier that having to write an explanation each time you can't make it.

And think about it going forward: Sure, the first couple of times you can't make an invite, you send a note. But what are you going to do when you're getting a couple of invites a week? Are you really going to write a note to all of them? My theory is that new users will do it for a while, then stop. So why even set up this situation where some climbers will appear rude (the seasoned users) and some will appear nice (new users). But eliminating the reason for declining, a whole can of worms is avoided.

#32314 - 08/17/07 02:33 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: webmaster]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
 Quote:
My theory is that new users will do it for a while, then stop

Your theory is nice... But umm... your potential users are asking for the feature! Don't be like Microsoft... Listen to the user!

#32315 - 08/17/07 03:19 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: Dillbag]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Dillbag
 Quote:
My theory is that new users will do it for a while, then stop

Your theory is nice... But umm... your potential users are asking for the feature! Don't be like Microsoft... Listen to the user!

Dillbag is right: here you are in basically beta test and potential users are already finding ways around what they perceive as a design limitation. It doesn't matter one bit how you think it should work - only how your users expect it to work.

#32317 - 08/17/07 04:52 PM Re: ClimbingPartner.com Launch [Re: MarcC]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
He's probably right though. If you've ever done match.com you know that it doesn't take many weeks of use to go from writing nice little "It's not you, it's me" notes to clicking the "go away already" button. Of course people on match.com feel rejected all the time. The scattershot approach - throw out a lot of lines and hope one catches a fish - doesn't work for dating. Maybe it works for climbing partners, but having done the online dating thing, I can imagine the fun of "winking" at a dozen potential climbing partners and watching the "no thanks" canned replies roll in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  sycdan 
Sponsored