Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#32942 - 09/10/07 02:16 PM Re: Kiva [Re: empicard]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
No... The other NY Times...

Geez, and seriously, how hard is it to dispute a charge... Isn't that what all the fancy fraud protection on credit cards is for?

I guess if you don't read your statements... You'd get screwed...

#32943 - 09/10/07 02:16 PM Re: Kiva [Re: empicard]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
There is no way I'd use a check for anyone I didn't know personally. With a check, they have not only your account number, but also your signature. They can easily forge checks, or just use the routing/account number to order stuff only.

When a thief steals a CC#, they are stealing from the credit card company. The credit card company is protecting it's own assets when they fight credit card fraud. On the other hand, when a thief steals checks, they are stealing directly from you. The bank has no incentive to protect your money.

A friend of a friend got her checkbook stolen, and several checks were cashed. The bank basically did nothing, she had to get the FDIC involved, and it took several months to get her money back.

Be wary of using checks, it gives thieves direct access to your money.

#32946 - 09/10/07 04:14 PM Re: Kiva [Re: empicard]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: empicard
are we talking about the same news paper that had to fire its editor for making stuff up?

Yes, we should all be judged by our biggest mistake, regardless of whatever else we may have done or gotten right on a regular basis. ;\)

#32947 - 09/10/07 04:25 PM Re: Kiva [Re: quanto_the_mad]
AOR Offline
enthusiast

You'll most likely find MUCH less fraud, theft and the like with the use of a personal check. And, to be honest, I've very, very rarely heard of someone writing a check then having their account compromised just by using the information on that check. I know this because I've worked in the business for quite a few years. Just having your routing number and account number is normally not enough to elicit a fraudulent act, you'll need much more personal information than that.

You're right, checks can be forged. But, this is quite an operation, time consuming and normally not done with a personal check. The criminal element want to forge corporate and/or business checks as that is where the money is located.

When your friend's friend had her checkbook stolen, she was the victim of a theft by having someone who wasn't her write a check against her account. Period. She was not the victim of a theft via the routing/account number, etc.

As I certainly understand your point about having the credit card company reimburse any "lost or stolen" monies, I would much rather use a check in this (Kiva) circumstance than have my credit card number compromised. My credit score is much more important to me.

So, when you say:
Be wary of using checks, it gives thieves direct access to your money.

I just don't fully agree with that statement.

#32948 - 09/10/07 04:26 PM Re: Kiva [Re: Daniel]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Yes, we should all be judged by our biggest mistake, regardless of whatever else we may have done or gotten right on a regular basis.

To do otherwise would deprive Ann Coulter of her livelihood.

#32953 - 09/10/07 06:28 PM Re: Kiva [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
 Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad

A friend of a friend got her checkbook stolen, and several checks were cashed. The bank basically did nothing, she had to get the FDIC involved, and it took several months to get her money back.

OK everyone, repeat after me: "Hello bank? I'd like to stop payment on a check." It's that simple.

#32954 - 09/10/07 06:32 PM Re: Kiva [Re: Mike Rawdon]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon

OK everyone, repeat after me: "Hello bank? I'd like to stop payment on a check." It's that simple.

What check number are you going to tell them to stop? Thieves can print up checks with any number they want on it.

#32958 - 09/10/07 06:56 PM Re: Kiva [Re: quanto_the_mad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon

What check number are you going to tell them to stop? Thieves can print up checks with any number they want on it.

Although a pita, especially if you have direct deposit and/or automatic bill paying set up, the best course of action with a stolen or lost checkbook is to close that account.

#32964 - 09/10/07 07:23 PM Re: Kiva [Re: MarcC]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Definitely, if you know you've lost your checkbook.

But if someone steals your account info and has checks printed up, you won't know until after the money is gone from your account. At that point, you're at the mercy of various state laws and bank rules, there's no federal protection as there is with credit cards.

AOR might not see it, and it is definitely much less prevalent than CC fraud... but it does exist, and the point is why risk it? That's why there's money orders and cashier's checks.

Furthermore, why risk your credit card number either? Get a prepaid credit card or a virtual card number and use those. Especially with those places that surreptitiously "renew" your "account".

Edited by quanto_the_mad (09/10/07 07:24 PM)

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored