Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#33589 - 10/08/07 08:30 PM Ultra Running vs. Climbing
korona Offline
journeyman

Loc: NoVA
Hi all,

I am curious the extent to which folk can balance both trail running and climbing and / or people's thought processes in choosing one pursuit instead of the other. For a few years, I tried to do both. Recently though, I realized that I did not have enough time to be both a competent climber and a competent ultra runner. For now, I'm concentrating on the running. Although I love, miss and hope to return to climbing, I find ultra running refreshing for now in that ultra running:

1) requires minimal gear (shoes, shorts, water)
2) provides non-stop interaction with nature--no waiting at belays
3) does not entail markedly heightened risks if done solo
4) rarely if ever is crowded -- the 40 to 100+ miles discourage the gym warrior
5) has little spray -- it's not unusual for race winners to hang around the finish for hours to greet back of the packers as they cross the line
6) has endless FA potential
7) lets you get dirty.... really dirty
8) gets your heart racing, but not in that, "O &*#$, if I fall, I'm dead" kind of way
9) can be done year round.... it actually is often better when it's below freezing
10) absolutely shreds every muscle in your body -- which, of course, makes the beer taste all the better

In an ideal world, we wouldn't have to choose... but then, it's not all that bad of a world if this is one of the choices we have to make.

--E

#33592 - 10/08/07 09:06 PM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: korona]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
I too agonize over trying to fit in both running and climbing, especially when ultra training requires longer runs on the weekends. It certainly is easier to run and race than to climb, for all the reasons you list.
However, I feel confident that I have my running base built up by now and race regularly enough to be at a decent level of fitness. Therefore I am working on my climbing more at the moment.
They are too hard masters/mistresses to serve but I just cannot choose to cut out of my life in favour of the other.
At least the issue goes into hibernation very soon when it becomes too cold climb.

#33593 - 10/08/07 09:40 PM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: The Lisa]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
it's never too cold to climb.......just grab those picks!

Anyway, if you're like me, the running/climbing decision isn't a problem........all that beer and ribeye has pretty much settled the question!!!!!!!

P

#33594 - 10/08/07 09:46 PM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: irisharehere]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Anyway, if you're like me, the running/climbing decision isn't a problem........all that beer and ribeye has pretty much settled the question!!!!!!!

Are you hinting that you're too bloated to do either?

#33596 - 10/08/07 10:13 PM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: irisharehere]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Ooh, I want to improve at ice climbing too! However there can be that lull between too cold to rock climb but not enough ice to ice climb, and no way am I trying MIXED climbing.
I want to learn to ski this winter, too.
Oh, and not forgetting the day job.....
Still, it is nice to worry about balancing one sport with another, as opposed to balancing ALL sports collectively, and family. I told my family they will see me on Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Eve, Christmas Day (not binding), and ... that's it. Forget weddings/christenings/engagement parties/bridal showers/baby showers/other events that happen at 2pm on Saturdays.

#33597 - 10/08/07 10:53 PM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: oenophore]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
There was a certain swelling of the midsection over the summer that would preclude any serious running........I'm going to blame that mainly on my switch from being on my feet all day to sitting ata desk all day......

However, I'm on the path to reform - I even went to a pilates class last week!!!!!

Irish

#33600 - 10/09/07 12:09 AM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: irisharehere]
felix m Offline
journeyman

no 1 trick ponies here. we expect to see you all at this years wagathon, november 11. it's all fun.

#33601 - 10/09/07 12:38 AM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: felix m]
korona Offline
journeyman

Loc: NoVA
I'm tempted to join you for the Wagathon. I am running the Mountain Masochist (MMT) the weekend before:

http://www.extremeultrarunning.com/mmtrinfo.htm

I ran the North Carolina Triple Lakes 40mi on Saturday and could see doing a 30 miler this weekend... Not sure, though, if the MMT 50 will be so kind.

Still, I really enjoy the fat ass runs--no hype and the beer is always better. Hope to join you on 11/11!

Eric M

#33608 - 10/09/07 11:32 AM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: korona]
felix m Offline
journeyman

good luck on that one.those runs look bad ass!! beware of anything involving Dr. Horton - check this one out:

http://www.mattmahoney.net/barkley/

the wagathon is more of a pleasure cruise. hopefully we will see you there,
thanks for the interest

#33610 - 10/09/07 12:51 PM Re: Ultra Running vs. Climbing [Re: korona]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Cool you are doing Masochist too. I ran it last year and really loved it. I am doing Hellgate in December - Horton's races are always fun.
The Wagathon will be a nice cool down after Masochist/last long run before JFK50.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored