Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#33934 - 10/22/07 05:27 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: chip]
mworking Offline
old hand

Originally Posted By: chip
Nothing wrong with someone making money, ...
I like cheap prices as much as anyone but trust the free market to rein in anyone who doesn't provide goods or services at reasonable and competitive rates. ...

I have to disagree – big time – though the money is not the issue. Have you visited Chinese manufacturing plants? I think not. Having things made over there in conditions we would not tolerate is simply taking advantage of foreign workers. I can tell you Americans wouldn’t tolerate the general manufacturing job conditions that are common over there.

I like low price too, but the free market isn't all it's cracked up to be. The world be vastly better of if 1st would inhabitants were forced to learn the true value of what they consume. Thank god I don’t have to make the call myself – I’d probably never get to climb again, though the world would be better off for it!

#33935 - 10/22/07 05:31 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: mworking]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
this country wakes up and starts generating some scientists and engineers!

Why bother if Chinese engineers are cheaper to hire?

#33936 - 10/22/07 05:34 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: mworking]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: mworking
 Originally Posted By: chip
Nothing wrong with someone making money, ...
I like cheap prices as much as anyone but trust the free market to rein in anyone who doesn't provide goods or services at reasonable and competitive rates. ...

I have to disagree – big time – though the money is not the issue. Have you visited Chinese manufacturing plants? I think not. Having things made over there in conditions we would not tolerate is simply taking advantage of foreign workers. I can tell you Americans wouldn’t tolerate the general manufacturing job conditions that are common over there.

I like low price too, but the free market isn't all it's cracked up to be. The world be vastly better of if 1st would inhabitants were forced to learn the true value of what they consume. Thank god I don’t have to make the call myself – I’d probably never get to climb again, though the world would be better off for it!

I have been in several chinese manufacturing plants and they are marvelous. Spotlessly clean, nice equipment, and workers who actually want to work instead of just collect health care benefits and go on smoke breaks.

#33937 - 10/22/07 05:59 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: strat]
mworking Offline
old hand

[/quote] I have been in several chinese manufacturing plants and they are marvelous. Spotlessly clean, nice equipment, and workers who actually want to work instead of just collect health care benefits and go on smoke breaks.[/quote]

No time to really write just now - except to say the same plants I have visited were on par for the things you reference. I doubt that either of us would have been allowed to visit if they weren't! Its the things you don't mention that Americans wouldn't tolerate.

Edited by mworking (10/22/07 06:01 PM)

#33939 - 10/22/07 06:20 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: mworking]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Like their ever improving scores on quality audits conducted by their western customers?

#33941 - 10/22/07 07:32 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: strat]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quick….what’s the largest export (by volume) out of the US?

Empty shipping containers to China.

Now when we start to import knowledge as Strat pointed out like we do lead toys, then we are screwed.

#33942 - 10/22/07 07:42 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: Smike]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I thought those containers were filled with cash?

#33944 - 10/22/07 07:59 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: quanto_the_mad]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
 Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad
I thought those containers were filled with cash?
US Treasury notes and bonds, you mean.

#33945 - 10/22/07 11:27 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: strat]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
 Originally Posted By: strat

Guess what? Pretty soon the wage that goes to the engineer that INNOVATED the protection is going to be going to China too unless this country wakes up and starts generating some scientists and engineers! THEN we'll be in a world of shit. The world is flat.

I agree with your warning that the tech jobs will soon follow the manufacturing jobs. But if you're saying that technology jobs are going to China because there aren't enough sci/engineers here to fill them, then I strongly disagree. There are too many well paid US scientists losing their careers here because jobs are being outsourced TO SAVE MONEY. (And don't respond with some academician's essay about the shortage of technical graduates. US universities have been banging that drum since the Kennedy administration. It's called job security.) Let's find professional employment figures for the traditional American powerhouse industries: oil, steel, chemicals, technology. These industries are in full flight out of the US. Hell, even the entertainment industry seems to be globalized now. Hollywood? Where's that?

Yes, the world is flat. And small. And the US is an economic dinosaur.

#33946 - 10/22/07 11:34 PM Re: Damn the Euro [Re: Mike Rawdon]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The drum beat just gets louder and people just continue to practice ostrich politics.

Our Shanghai Technical Center opens in two weeks. Because a) that's where the growth will be b) that's where the talent is and c) it's cheaper.

Why wouldn't you want the company your 401K is in to do that?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  daryl512 
Sponsored