Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#34717 - 11/30/07 10:53 PM Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant)
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
I'm looking for a new shop to work on my Toyota Tacoma and my SO's Subaru Forrester. Until recently, we were using Tom's Auto Repair over by the New Paltz High School. I say recently, as they've done a couple of things recently that have soured me on their service, and caused me to doubt their integrity. The story goes like this...

I take the Tacoma in because the drivers window gets stuck in the down position (it's electric). I figure it's either the switch or the motor. They tell me it's the switch. Another day without the car and $230 later, the new switch is in. But within the week, the problem resurfaces. I call them up and bring it in for a third visit. "Oh, it's a bad motor", they tell me, and $307 dollars later, it's fixed yet again. This time for good. I was annoyed that they didn't take the 5 minutes necessary to check the switch with a simple continuity tester. But ok, I thought, I'll look for other shops while my SO can keep using the place.

Then this November ('07), we bring in her car for a problem with the windshield wipers. The are "slapping" down a little too hard when they're on. She also needs an inspection. That evening (after hours), we go to pick up the car, and Dylana notices a crack in the windshield, emanating from one of the wiper posts. We decide to leave the car there, and let staff decide how to take care of it. Next morning, we go over to the shop to speak with them, and they say, "Oh, that crack was already there when you brought it in. See, the mechanic noted it on his worksheet."
But I explain that the car was in for an Inspection, so how did they pass it with this 10" crack right in the middle of the windshield. "Oh, it's less than 10" so it still passes inspection."

Ok we figure, maybe the crack was there and we just didn't notice it. However, the next morning, the crack has doubled in length, and it's obvious that the windshield has to be replace. I try to get Dylana to bring it over to them to show them again, but she's fed up, and can't take another morning from work, so she pays the $300 or so needed to put in a new windshield.

So that was enough for me. Neither of us will go back there, and I caution any of you from using their shop.

So, anyone have a shop in the Hudson Valley that they're happy with?

#34720 - 12/01/07 12:16 AM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: webmaster]
JenRed Offline

Without a doubt I suggest Mark at Fleet. He's great and always does a good work and never seems to break the bank. Fleet is on Main St across from Convenient Deli and their number is 255-4812

Also, Beeks next to the Mountain Deli I used them when I was working in Gardiner.

#34732 - 12/03/07 09:17 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: webmaster]
rustyrabbit Online   content

Loc: village of new paltz
I second the vote for Beeks Auto in Gardiner by the Mountain Deli. Derrick is a good mechanic and is fair and honest. He has a personal interest in Minis and BMWs, but I've had good results with his work on my VW.

They are also open Saturday mornings as well- you could drop off your car and go for a ride/climb/hike while they are working.

#34740 - 12/05/07 02:20 AM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: rustyrabbit]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
don't forget eddie...you might give him a ring.

#34743 - 12/05/07 02:42 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: crackers]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
I thought Eddie only did body work...?

#34744 - 12/05/07 03:23 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: Dillbag]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Eddie only does do body work.

#34745 - 12/05/07 03:29 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: webmaster]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

um. you're missing the point. and i haven't had my coffee, so i'm a bit testy. forgive me friends.

have you ever asked an acupuncturist for a referral to an acupuncturist? Or a doctor for a referral? Sometimes, and I know it's incredibly rare, but sometimes people in an industry know things about each other.

#34748 - 12/05/07 04:47 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: crackers]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Is Eddie in country at the moment?

-em

#34749 - 12/05/07 04:48 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: webmaster]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

well. now there you've got me. i have no idea. i thought they were back for some reason, but it is winter, and ice is for drinks...

#34754 - 12/05/07 06:17 PM Re: Car Repair: Recommendation? (w/rant) [Re: crackers]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
They were in the country as of a month ago...

But as "Triscuit" pointed out... Eddie isn't much of an ice kinda guy...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored