Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Rickster), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34895 - 12/18/07 02:22 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Mike Rawdon]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
Having grown up in Palenville, I can assure you it isn't the locals you need to worry about. It would more likely be a skiah headin back ta lonGisland.

#34903 - 12/18/07 05:41 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I, of course, don't know your situation, but when I was still ice climbing, one of the first things I started doing after graduating college and getting a job was....get a nice, warm, room.

#34908 - 12/19/07 06:15 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Mike Rawdon]
jbgantt Offline
stranger

Thanks for all the info, looks like we will be camping at stoney clove. We are from the deep south so we definately did not want to do the motel thing, takes away from the experience, considering last week it was 80 degrees down here. We are READY for some cold weather. Hope it stays cold up there. Are there any good places to eat on our way in and out in Tannersville and any good places to get food or do we need to do it on our drive up.

#34909 - 12/19/07 08:19 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
I don’t think I’ll ever be ‘ready’ for the camping ‘experience’ during ice climbing season… but each to their own.

Food wise drive north on 214 from the clove to 23A make a left to an ok deli on the left side of the road in hunter, or go right (east on 23A) to Tannersville where you will find the usual ski town eatery dumps but a few are ok, (The Mexican restaurant is decent) Can also stock up on whatever else you need in town there.

Good luck.

#34913 - 12/19/07 11:22 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Smike]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Smike may be the most anti-cold but live for the ice climber I've ever met. Taking love/hate to another level.

#34919 - 12/20/07 05:38 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
 Originally Posted By: jbgantt
Thanks for all the info, looks like we will be camping at stoney clove. We are from the deep south so we definately did not want to do the motel thing, takes away from the experience, considering last week it was 80 degrees down here. We are READY for some cold weather. Hope it stays cold up there. Are there any good places to eat on our way in and out in Tannersville and any good places to get food or do we need to do it on our drive up.

Maggie's Krooked Cafe, right on Main Street in Tannersville. Best place for breakfast/lunch around, but not cheap.

T

#34920 - 12/20/07 08:00 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: chip
Smike may be the most anti-cold but live for the ice climber I've ever met. Taking love/hate to another level.

haha... I've learned a loooong time ago that you need to put the odds as much in your favor as you can ice climbing. Waking up in sub zero temps with wet fronzen clothes from the day before gives it that un-needed spice..

What is the famous quote ..There is no training for suffering only minimizing the suffering?

#34921 - 12/20/07 08:38 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You might want to check out the number of B&Bs and hotels in Ouray CO with packages expressly for ice-climbing! One (forget the name) advertises quite prominently that they are within walking distance of the ice park.

The Nereledge Inn in North Conway NH once did the same for both rock and ice climbers. Anyone know if they're still in business?

#34922 - 12/20/07 08:40 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: MarcC]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
I'm with smike.... I'll bust my az in the cold, but nothing like a warm fire, dry socks and scotch...neat

#34924 - 12/20/07 09:16 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er

Nah, I think I could win that prize. Ice and snow are awesome but I sure wish we could have those things without the cold temps...

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored