Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#34850 - 12/12/07 09:18 PM Catskills Camping
jbgantt Offline
stranger

Headed to the Catskills to climb after x-mas and wondering if there are places relatively close to the climbs or parking areas to camp. We are from the south and have never been in that area and will be camping five nights. We are taking the ice climbing guidebook but it does not talk too much about camping in that area. Thanks for any help.

#34855 - 12/13/07 01:04 AM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
There is camping at the Devil's Tombstone area, right at Stony Clove. I believe it's free in the winter.

T

#34859 - 12/13/07 03:46 AM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Tai]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
There's a leanto above the kitchen...er, I mean, the Black Chasm. Where climbers break off the trail to the left to head down the hill, stay on the trail for about .2 miles, if that. With snow in the forecast and cold to follow, things may be shaping up in the coming weeks. In the catskills, you can camp anywhere 150' from any road, trail , or stream.

#34861 - 12/13/07 02:58 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: pitfall]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
What Pitfall said... Being from out-of-town (most of us are), your difficulty will be in finding places you can leave the car legally overnight. The Tombstone area is easy, but can be noisy with cars. Any trailhead allows overnight parking and there are some near several of the ice climbing areas in the Catskills. Enjoy.

#34862 - 12/13/07 07:03 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Be careful where you leave your car if it’s snowing, those huge NY state plows show no mercy on vehicles left near or anywhere close to the road.

#34869 - 12/14/07 03:55 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Smike]
jbgantt Offline
stranger

I read in the guide book and online that the Devil's Tombstone Campground is closed in the winter, do you still camp there or near by someplace?

#34873 - 12/14/07 11:57 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
You can find a legal spot if you cross the road from the parking lot there at Stony Clove, head up the trail a couple of hundred yards and then cut left at a flattish, open spot (before where the trail steepens, and slightly before where most people cut off the trail to head to the base of the east side climbs). The trick in most of the area around Devil's Tombstone/Stony Clove is that it's all way slopey.

#34884 - 12/17/07 05:48 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Aya]
jbgantt Offline
stranger

Anywhere around Kaaterskill Clove to camp?

#34885 - 12/17/07 09:52 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
pitfall Offline
old hand

It's pretty flat near asbestos, I'm sure you could find a spot there. It surely won't be a serene wilderness experience but you could camp really close to some toproping...and the road.
The other side of the road, after you drop down toward the creek and buttermilk offers some spots too, I just don't know how buttermilk would be this early in the season. I'd imagine, not so good. Of course, there is a campground at the top of the clove (North/South Lake) which isn't officailly open but I've seen people camping in there in winter.

#34890 - 12/18/07 12:42 AM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: pitfall]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
There's definitely flat spots at the base of Asbestos, or you could bivy inside "the Blue Room", that big recess under the roof near the left end that sometimes get completely walled off with ice curtains. That might actually block some road noise, and it's usually pretty snow-free in there. I'm not sure I'd be crazy about leaving a car at the pulloff overnight though; it only takes one delinquent local yahoo to spoil the weekend, if you know what I mean.

#34895 - 12/18/07 02:22 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Mike Rawdon]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Having grown up in Palenville, I can assure you it isn't the locals you need to worry about. It would more likely be a skiah headin back ta lonGisland.

#34903 - 12/18/07 05:41 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I, of course, don't know your situation, but when I was still ice climbing, one of the first things I started doing after graduating college and getting a job was....get a nice, warm, room.

#34908 - 12/19/07 06:15 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Mike Rawdon]
jbgantt Offline
stranger

Thanks for all the info, looks like we will be camping at stoney clove. We are from the deep south so we definately did not want to do the motel thing, takes away from the experience, considering last week it was 80 degrees down here. We are READY for some cold weather. Hope it stays cold up there. Are there any good places to eat on our way in and out in Tannersville and any good places to get food or do we need to do it on our drive up.

#34909 - 12/19/07 08:19 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I don’t think I’ll ever be ‘ready’ for the camping ‘experience’ during ice climbing season… but each to their own.

Food wise drive north on 214 from the clove to 23A make a left to an ok deli on the left side of the road in hunter, or go right (east on 23A) to Tannersville where you will find the usual ski town eatery dumps but a few are ok, (The Mexican restaurant is decent) Can also stock up on whatever else you need in town there.

Good luck.

#34913 - 12/19/07 11:22 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Smike]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Smike may be the most anti-cold but live for the ice climber I've ever met. Taking love/hate to another level.

#34919 - 12/20/07 05:38 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Tai Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Middle of nowhere: South Salem...
 Originally Posted By: jbgantt
Thanks for all the info, looks like we will be camping at stoney clove. We are from the deep south so we definately did not want to do the motel thing, takes away from the experience, considering last week it was 80 degrees down here. We are READY for some cold weather. Hope it stays cold up there. Are there any good places to eat on our way in and out in Tannersville and any good places to get food or do we need to do it on our drive up.

Maggie's Krooked Cafe, right on Main Street in Tannersville. Best place for breakfast/lunch around, but not cheap.

T

#34920 - 12/20/07 08:00 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chip
Smike may be the most anti-cold but live for the ice climber I've ever met. Taking love/hate to another level.

haha... I've learned a loooong time ago that you need to put the odds as much in your favor as you can ice climbing. Waking up in sub zero temps with wet fronzen clothes from the day before gives it that un-needed spice..

What is the famous quote ..There is no training for suffering only minimizing the suffering?

#34921 - 12/20/07 08:38 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

You might want to check out the number of B&Bs and hotels in Ouray CO with packages expressly for ice-climbing! One (forget the name) advertises quite prominently that they are within walking distance of the ice park.

The Nereledge Inn in North Conway NH once did the same for both rock and ice climbers. Anyone know if they're still in business?

#34922 - 12/20/07 08:40 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: MarcC]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
I'm with smike.... I'll bust my az in the cold, but nothing like a warm fire, dry socks and scotch...neat

#34924 - 12/20/07 09:16 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: chip]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er

Nah, I think I could win that prize. Ice and snow are awesome but I sure wish we could have those things without the cold temps...

#34926 - 12/20/07 09:34 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: learningtolead]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
 Quote:
You might want to check out the number of B&Bs and hotels in Ouray CO with packages expressly for ice-climbing! One (forget the name) advertises quite prominently that they are within walking distance of the ice park.

The whole town is within walking distance of the park... It just isn't that big of a place... I suppose it would be a pain if you got one down by the public hot springs, but if your up on the hill it's not that far.

#34927 - 12/20/07 09:36 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: d-elvis]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: d-elvis
I'm with smike.... I'll bust my az in the cold, but nothing like a warm fire, dry socks and scotch...neat

D (and RAF), for DF 6.0 we've got some 18 year old Maccallan and a 15 year old Glenlivet.

The 18 year old Macca better be GOOD for the price I paid!

#34930 - 12/20/07 09:42 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: learningtolead]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Near Ledge is still in business, but now with a new owner. Seems real nice. I've stayed there twice since the change. Short walk to EMS and IME, as well as all the main street N. Conway stuff.

#34933 - 12/21/07 03:41 AM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: learningtolead]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
I personally witnessed Smikey endure....nay.....enjoy some of the coldest, nastiest weather I have ever seen. But I agree....why camp out inthe cold when you can stay warm and dry your gear.

RR

#34935 - 12/21/07 02:57 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: RangerRob]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Enjoyment or punishment?

#34936 - 12/21/07 03:39 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Smike]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Again, beautiful shot. Dike route? I had "soloed" that along side a friend in similar conditions for a few pitches until the second gust in a row had spun me out to hang by a tool and crampon on the same side. That, combined with spindrift blindness and the filling of my clothes with snow every 15-20 seconds, lead me to down climb; later that night to be eating burgers after a hot shower. Guess that sums up how I felt about it that day.

#34938 - 12/21/07 03:42 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: Smike]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
 Originally Posted By: Smike
Enjoyment or punishment?

fake fake.... this picture is a fake.... I call Bull$hit... this has got photoshop all over it

#34939 - 12/21/07 11:18 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: d-elvis]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Alas my Elvis worhipping friend, it is not a fake. That is indeed some silly individual trying to solo up the first pitch of Pinnacle Gully in about 10 below zero temps and wind gusts of about 60-70 mph. The complete freezing shut of the right eye was the final straw.

RR

#34943 - 12/22/07 03:56 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: RangerRob]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Been meaning to do that one for a long time. Looks as bad conditions as I've always imagined.

#34952 - 12/24/07 07:06 AM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: learningtolead]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
 Originally Posted By: learningtolead

Nah, I think I could win that prize. Ice and snow are awesome but I sure wish we could have those things without the cold temps...

thats what i like about living in Davis. an hour and a half give or take in either direction and you have snow/ice or the ocean. we were just out snowshoing today. did well consider we are both rehabbing injuries

#34965 - 12/25/07 11:51 PM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: CrackBoy]
jbgantt Offline
stranger

Is the area on the flat ground on the way up the hill at Stoney Clove accessible to car camp as far as taking gear in, or is it a long way to hike from the road? Just trying to determine what and how to pack. Thanks. Only three more days till we leave.

#34967 - 12/26/07 01:47 AM Re: Catskills Camping [Re: jbgantt]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Not terribly far. Not even five minute walk up I don't think. Hopefully you will be able to find it, and hopefully you will have ice. It's been really warm.

Five nights? And why aren't you making the extra two hour drive to get up to the dacks?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored