Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 7 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#35605 - 02/17/08 04:20 PM How much Propane do you use a month?
StonyKill Offline
stranger

So this is my first year with propane and I'm just curious about what other folks go through.
I'm using almost a 500 gallon tank a month - which surprised me! Granted we heat, cook and use the dryer with it... but there were 2 to 3 weeks we were away... and we set the temp for 55 when we're gone and 60 when we're home.
Anyway just curious, trying to get a bead on it, knowing of course it varies due to house size, insulation, habits, etc.....
thanks.

#35607 - 02/17/08 11:22 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: StonyKill]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I don't have the figures in front of me, but propane, which is metered and sold by the gallon, is much less dense than heating oil. Like 40% less. So that 500 gal/month is roughly equal to 300 gal/mo of heating oil. Which sounds about right for an older home.

On an energy-per-dollar basis, propane is a lousy deal! (We use it for dryer + hot water).

#35608 - 02/18/08 01:34 AM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Geez, that sounds like an ENORMOUS amount of fuel to be going thru in a month. I'm in a 1,100 square foot 2 story building, and if we use 150 gallons in a month, I'm thinking something's wrong. We cook ALOT, heat, heat water and run the dryer with propane. How big is the house?

Edited by webmaster (02/18/08 01:35 AM)

#35609 - 02/18/08 02:33 AM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: webmaster]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Sounds really high, We use anywhere from 80-150 ish (1000 sq ft) deepening on how much we are there but also have a new high efficiency furnace which makes a big difference. What type of furnace do you have?

#35610 - 02/18/08 02:37 AM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
 Originally Posted By: Mike Rawdon
I don't have the figures in front of me, but propane, which is metered and sold by the gallon, is much less dense than heating oil. Like 40% less. So that 500 gal/month is roughly equal to 300 gal/mo of heating oil. Which sounds about right for an older home.

Nice try but no...

#35611 - 02/18/08 01:50 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: StonyKill]
StonyKill Offline
stranger

Ouch! These replies scare the crap out of me... we THOUGHT something was wrong with the system.
This is a brand new home, brand new furnace... The place is kinda big, 2800 ft, with a good amount of glass which could account for some increased fuel - but the guys had been out twice because the unit was cycling on and off too fast and I guess it's still got some kinks!! (We've been in since Nov only & they filled up for Dec & Jan.)

What do folks typically have their heat set at? -Just curious.

As for note about propane's lousy deal vs oil, I'd have to argue it's way more efficient and TONS cleaner. There' virtually no maintenance needed on propane once it's working right... uh.. which I gotta work on right now![i][/i]

#35613 - 02/18/08 03:59 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: StonyKill]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: StonyKill
Ouch! These replies scare the crap out of me... we THOUGHT something was wrong with the system.
This is a brand new home, brand new furnace... The place is kinda big, 2800 ft, with a good amount of glass which could account for some increased fuel - but the guys had been out twice because the unit was cycling on and off too fast and I guess it's still got some kinks!! (We've been in since Nov only & they filled up for Dec & Jan.)

68 or 69 F
 Quote:

As for note about propane's lousy deal vs oil, I'd have to argue it's way more efficient and TONS cleaner. There' virtually no maintenance needed on propane once it's working right... uh.. which I gotta work on right now![i][/i]

Cleaner and more efficient, sure. But that only goes so far to offset the $6/gallon (oil equivalent volume) price. You can do it on a BTUs-delivered basis if you want, but there's no getting around the density effect.

#35614 - 02/18/08 06:02 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: StonyKill]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
The place is kinda big, 2800 ft, with a good amount of glass which could account for some increased fuel

We don't have enough info but lots glass might mean lots of outside walls too.

- but the guys had been out twice because the unit was cycling on and off too fast

What does to fast mean to you?
In almost any case with a new HE furnace it should not make much difference in terms of efficiency.

Bell shaped curve in winter centered just below 70F.
My home 68 or 69 when we are home 64 at night, 65 in the day when we are not home. System is a HP though, so we are best off with small changes during our normally moderate weather.

With fuel systems you can efficiently use larger temp variation.

Gas/oil? BTUs-delivered basis is the only way to compare.

PS: On a sq/ft basis your home seems to be in line compared to other local users on this site.

Edited by Mark Heyman (02/18/08 06:13 PM)

#35621 - 02/18/08 09:59 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: Mark Heyman]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
we keep it at 48 when we're not there. when we're there, 64 during the day, 60 over night. going through 500 gallons a month, yikes!

#35629 - 02/19/08 04:09 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: learningtolead]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
Is your system forced air? Or radiant heat?

Have you looked into setting zones for the house 2800 is pretty good size, and odds are there are some rooms which just aren't used that much... Shutting down the dampers (forced air) or tweaking the radiator valve could reduce "wasted" heat in those rooms, just remember to keep the door mostly shut.

Check out this site (home energy calculator) to see if you are in-line with the cost... It takes some work to get the tables all filled in, but it will definitally get you a more accurate picture of how your home is stacking up. It also will give you info on electric as well...

Keep in mind that LTL and Smike are talking about the same house, and it's in "stasis" during the week and usually only "operational" on the weekends.

Good luck! And make sure you check out the different suppliers...!

#35633 - 02/19/08 10:21 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: Dillbag]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
 Quote:
Keep in mind that LTL and Smike are talking about the same house

i like to pee on the propane tank.
\:o

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#35640 - 02/20/08 04:16 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: empicard]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
 Originally Posted By: empicard
i like to pee on the propane tank.
\:o

Mmmhmmm... And that's why we had to get a new one! The old one was all rusty...

Guess we know who to charge for the change fee!

#69004 - 10/13/13 01:56 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: StonyKill]
dianegarcialop Offline
stranger

Hey - here are some averages on propane usage that might help: usage stats

#69034 - 10/15/13 05:36 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: dianegarcialop]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Holy Thread Resurrection Batman!

I think after 5-1/2 years the OP's have a handle on their fuel consumption.

#69057 - 10/18/13 07:30 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Spambot?

#69064 - 10/19/13 12:03 PM Re: How much Propane do you use a month? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad
Spambot?

Probably. I didn't click on that link but I see now that it goes to PropaneDeal.com

Oh well, this is what passes for action on this site these days.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored