Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (SethG), 4 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#36267 - 04/03/08 03:18 AM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: ShakesALot]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
 Originally Posted By: ShakesALot

Mine ships/shipped today \:\)

Ditto - I'm psyched! Hoping to put it to use for a couple of days during my U.S. visit this summer...

#36297 - 04/04/08 11:36 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: tokyo bill]
felix m Offline
journeyman

for anyone interested, rock & snow has these in stock as of this afternoon

#36299 - 04/05/08 08:45 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: felix m]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
just got mine! it's still warm and you can still smell the glue! and now...back to the glue.

#36302 - 04/06/08 05:32 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: skillet]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Might be the most dense guide I've ever picked up in terms of weight to size. Lots to do up there. Can't wait.

#36330 - 04/07/08 01:44 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: chip]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

And if anyone needs a house to rent whilst exploring the High Peaks rock routes, let me know.

#36332 - 04/07/08 02:13 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: strat]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
yeah its tough being special, mine was autographed

#36337 - 04/07/08 04:10 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: d-elvis]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
Quick take on it:

The effort and time put into this guide by Hass and Lawyer is truly evident. 1st rate and extremely detailed and organized. This thing reads like a master encyclopedia on routes in all area’s of the Dacks. (Index is by route name, so if you know the name you don’t have to know what cliff its on)

It IS the fattest and largest guide book in the NorthEast, (and would give even the largest of guides anywhere else a run for the money) Hardly any filler anywhere, just routes, pages and pages of them. In fact 670 pages. Maybe only 30 of them bouldering.

The ratings seem to be aligned on a few routes to more with Yosemite standards then the old school Dacks sandbags.

Only one eyebrow raiser in casual arm chair climbing mode, is the numerous “G” gear rated routes. (my *rough* guess it seems like over 60% of the routes get the nod for “G”.) Although Lawyer and Hass do mark where a route is “G” at the grade and R – X elsewhere.

Examples:
Such as Teddy’s Trauma 5.7- G (5.4 R) or Space Walk 5.9 G (5.7 X)

Well the legacy of confusion and mystery of climbing in the Adirondacks for the most part seem to be abated, but even armed with this mega detailed guide, the Adirondacks will still be able to deliver a true adventure in all sense of the word. Plus this thing is soooo heavy you may end of leaving it at the car most times and relying on a few photo copies or scribbled notes to make you way up through the tangled confusion of cliffs and awesome wilderness.

#36338 - 04/07/08 05:27 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: Smike]
ShakesALot Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NJ
 Originally Posted By: Smike
Quick take on it:

The effort and time put into this guide by Hass and Lawyer is truly evident. 1st rate and extremely detailed and organized. This thing reads like a master encyclopedia on routes in all area’s of the Dacks. (Index is by route name, so if you know the name you don’t have to know what cliff its on)

It IS the fattest and largest guide book in the NorthEast, (and would give even the largest of guides anywhere else a run for the money) Hardly any filler anywhere, just routes, pages and pages of them. In fact 670 pages. Maybe only 30 of them bouldering.

Well the legacy of confusion and mystery of climbing in the Adirondacks for the most part seem to be abated, but even armed with this mega detailed guide, the Adirondacks will still be able to deliver a true adventure in all sense of the word. Plus this thing is soooo heavy you may end of leaving it at the car most times and relying on a few photo copies or scribbled notes to make you way up through the tangled confusion of cliffs and awesome wilderness.

Note that the author's have made all of the topo's included in the book available for download - a great gesture which I hope isn't abused. Not to mention the books use of GPS coords and a downloadable KML for use with g-maps/earth. Incredible job guys!

#36339 - 04/07/08 06:26 PM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: ShakesALot]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Props to the fellas.

#36351 - 04/08/08 05:09 AM Re: New Daks Guidebook [Re: chip]
tokyo bill Offline
old hand

Loc: Tokyo
Mine was waiting when I got home last night. Not bad for an overseas order. On first flip-through it looks awesome!

Page 6 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored