Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#36311 - 04/06/08 11:18 PM Free Tibet?
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NYC/Kerhonkson
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=638_1207514778

Seems like this is happening a lot these days. Are any of you climbers gonna actually watch the Olympics? I'm not.

#36324 - 04/07/08 09:56 AM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: acdnyc]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Would one's not watching televised Olympics help Tibet?

#36326 - 04/07/08 10:19 AM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: oenophore]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
i dont think i've watched any olympic event since college.
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING

Edited by empicard (04/07/08 10:19 AM)

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#36333 - 04/07/08 02:47 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: empicard]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
agreed! i can't wait for the 400 meter dash (or whatever the feck--insert boring sport here) on tape delay. will there be native costumes, dance and fireworks as well? woo-hoo. i'd rather watch paint dry. who watches this crap anymore?

#36336 - 04/07/08 03:31 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: skillet]
Carpal Tunnel

who watches this crap anymore?

Enough to have TV companies paying hundreds of millions for the privilege.

#36340 - 04/07/08 06:32 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: oenophore]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I have been known to swim against the flow and will verify that I enjoy much of the olympics, with my wife usually watching the parts I'm not interested in.
Years of biathlon, X-C ski racing and distance running have left me identifying as best as I can with individuals in those events and hence my interest. I never made a national team but was thinkin' I had a shot for a while in running.Hard to believe now to look at me! I'm not a sailing buff and never fenced but can appreciate a good match. I still like the individual comps the most as many of them do not involve some self-important ref determining the outcome.

#36343 - 04/07/08 08:04 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: chip]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
How many hours of biathlon were shown during the last winter olympics?

#36353 - 04/08/08 12:20 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: chip]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: chip
I'm not a sailing buff

Sorry to all those sailing buffs, but if it doesn't get your heart rate up, people in it shouldn't getting medals.

As for the rest, when else can you watch team handball?!

#36356 - 04/08/08 02:21 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: Daniel]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
If it's on, I'll watch soccer, sailing, fencing, kayak, volleyball, judo. Badminton is always interesting to watch. Weight lifting, pole vault. During the winter, biathlon, luge, bobsled, half-pipe and curling.

As much as I'd like Tibet to be free, I don't think my not watching is going to make any difference at all.

#36360 - 04/08/08 04:12 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
ok, i take back i never watch the olympics. i do recall getting fully absorbed into watching curling. fascinating game.
seriously. could not take my eyes off the TV. i was late to pick up my friend reilly to go out DRINKING. yes, late for drinking because i was watching CURLING.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#36375 - 04/08/08 10:38 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: empicard]
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Well, after watching people get beat down in front of the UN here in NYC for trying to help Tibet I don't think I’ll watch the Olympics in china. That’s the summer Olympics. I’ll watch the winter Olympics because they will be in Canada.

"Would one's not watching televised Olympics help Tibet?"

I think, yes, it will help the people of Tibet if you make it public. If everyone in the USA said they would not watch the Olympics they would move it tomorrow because of the lost advertising revenue. It's all based on money and power. We have all the power we just give it away becasue we are to scared to work together.

I don't blame you or everyone from being scared with all the crap on TV but I'm over that now. I just want to help free people like our founding fathers and mothers did(Well, after they killed off most of the native population). It will probably hurt me in the long run too, but at least I tried.

#36384 - 04/09/08 01:16 AM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: acdnyc]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: acdnyc
I think, yes, it will help the people of Tibet if you make it public. If everyone in the USA said they would not watch the Olympics they would move it tomorrow because of the lost advertising revenue.

I don't think it will help at all. I think there could be a boycott resulting in the cancellation of the games and it would not change China's policy in Tibet. I just don't see anyone with any leverage here; the party line is that Tibet is an integral part of China, the Chinese people believe it, and any argument to the contrary is seen as unjust meddling in their internal affairs which only hardens their position.

I think the only hope for the Tibetians is the eventual opening up of China to news and ideas that don't come from the central government, but that's going to take decades.

So if people don't want to watch the Olympics, fine if it makes them feel better. I confess I make an annual donation to the International Campaign for Tibet, even though after years of doing so I don't see them or any other outside organization as an effective agent for change. We can say we tried, but it seems to me that the minds in the Chinese government are totally closed on this issue.

There may be more room on the Darfur problem, since it isn't connected with China's territorial issue.

#36386 - 04/09/08 02:21 AM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: Daniel]
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Sorry, I still think it will help. Take money away from China and it will cause change. If we keep awareness high and stop supporting China it will force them to recognize Tibet as a free and sovereign country. If we have your attitude and give up Tibet is dead. It's the only hope for the Tibetan people.

As for Darfur, I worked on fund raisers and donated thousands of dollars in time and equipment and it has caused some change and discussion.

But the upside of China getting the Olympics is the highway to the base of Mt. Everest. Taxi to the top please, they have oxygen hook ups so you don't die from lack of O2.
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=5c9_1183247084

#36388 - 04/09/08 03:46 AM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: acdnyc]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: acdnyc
Take money away from China and it will cause change.

The Olympics is not even a drop in the bucket. It has practically no effect on the absolutely massive Chinese economy. And I'd guess that the broadcasters have already paid for the rights anyway, so a boycott may hurt NBC but it won't affect Beijing.

And I doubt that even a massive economic boycott would affect Chinese policy. I think they see the issue as too important to the physical integrity of the country to be bought off. Their offense at what they see as outside interference only stiffens their resolve--not that most people here would give up cheap imports to begin with.

I was in Tibet a year and a half ago. Watching pilgrims prostrate themselves in front of the Potala was one of the saddest things I've seen. It's an empty building, and no one can force the Chinese to allow the Dalia Lama back in, so I suspect it will stay that way. I'm not happy about it, but I won't delude myself into thinking the situation is going to resolve itself anytime soon, with or without my help.

I think the only hope for the Tibetian people, as I wrote before, is for China to change internally. I hope that they can endure, as they have for the past 40 years. Buddhism is a resilient philosophy.

#36509 - 04/17/08 11:45 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: Daniel]
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

You're saying if the Olympics were canceled that Tibetans wouldn’t be free the next day.

Really, I think China would remove their armies and ask the Dali Lama and Tibetan people for forgiveness. Is that delusional enough or not.

We can help make change just by awareness. All we have to do is try and the Olympics are a start, that’s all, a start.

Of course it needs to be peaceful, too. As par the Dali Lama’s request on NPR the other day.

Edited by acdnyc (04/17/08 11:47 PM)

#36511 - 04/17/08 11:57 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: acdnyc]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Sort of like how the Soviets immediately withdrew from Afghanistan after we boycotted the '80 Olympics, and how the US became a kindler, gentler nation and stopped meddling in the middle east after the Soviets boycotted the '84 Olympics?

#36822 - 04/29/08 09:16 PM Re: Free Tibet? What irony! [Re: acdnyc]
Carpal Tunnel

'Free Tibet' flags made in China

Made in China? Police believe some flags may have already been shipped

Police in southern China have discovered a factory manufacturing Free Tibet flags, media reports say.

The factory in Guangdong had been completing overseas orders for the flag of the Tibetan government-in-exile.

Workers said they thought they were just making colourful flags and did not realise their meaning.

But then some of them saw TV images of protesters holding the emblem and they alerted the authorities, according to Hong Kong's Ming Pao newspaper.

Tibet independence

The factory owner reportedly told police the emblems had been ordered from outside China, and he did not know that they stood for an independent Tibet.

Workers who had grown suspicious checked the meaning of the flag by going online.

Thousands of flags had already been packed for shipping.

Police believe that some may already have been sent overseas, and could appear in Hong Kong during the Olympic torch relay there this week.

Known as the Snow Lion Flag
Introduced in 1912
Banned in mainland China

The authorities have now stepped up the inspection of cars heading to the Shenzhen Special Economic Zone and onwards to Hong Kong.

The Olympic torch is due to tour Hong Kong on Friday. It will then travel to a series of cities in mainland China before reaching Beijing for the start of the Olympic Games in August.

Its progress around the world has been marked by pro-Tibet demonstrations in several cities - including Paris, London and San Francisco.

Rallies began in the main Tibetan city of Lhasa on 10 March, led by Buddhist monks.

Over the following week protests spread and became violent - particularly in Lhasa, where ethnic Chinese were targeted and shops were burnt down.

Beijing cracked down on the protesters with force, sending in hundreds of troops to regain control of the restive areas.

But it has since agreed to resume talks with representatives of the Dalai Lama.

#36823 - 04/30/08 12:29 AM Re: Free Tibet? What irony! [Re: oenophore]
mworking Offline
old hand

That land will be there a long time.
The Chinese can afford to wait until after the Olympics before a massive use of force.

#37001 - 05/13/08 02:38 PM Re: Free Tibet? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
acdnyc Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: quanto_the_mad
Sort of like how the Soviets immediately withdrew from Afghanistan after we boycotted the '80 Olympics, and how the US became a kindler, gentler nation and stopped meddling in the middle east after the Soviets boycotted the '84 Olympics?

No, it was the CIA support of the mujahideen that got the USSR out of Afghanistan. They provided weapons and hand held missiles (Stingers) to shoot down helicopters and low flying aircraft.
A guy I work with was a Soviet helicopter pilot in Afghanistan and he got shot down and, lucky him, taken prisoner. They usually got tortured and killed. When he got home he was thrown in jail for surrendering. When he was released he fled the USSR and came to America.
He also told me that half of his gradutating class died in Afghanistan.
Oh, and we got meaner, too. As a nation, especially when we are in our cars.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored