Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#3655 - 01/28/02 01:22 AM Niagra Glen, Lincoln Woods, Lions Head, and Pawtuckaway
Gymrat Offline

Loc: NY
Does anyone have any info on the following areas: Niagra Glen, Lincoln Woods, Lions Head, and Pawtuckaway. I have already found the website for niagra glen, but was wondering if anyone knew of any info about the areas and/or climbing in the areas. Food, guide books, places to camp (rv's if possible) are a few things i'm looking for, but any info will be greatly appreciated.

#3656 - 01/28/02 03:19 PM Re: Niagra Glen, Lincoln Woods, Lions Head, and Pawtuckaway [Re: Gymrat]
Edgy Offline
enthusiast

For info on LW or Pawtuckaway...try Newenglandbouldering.com.

LW is more crimpy while P'tuckaway is more diverse with crimps, edges, slopers. Both can be sharp, especially LW. At P'tway, be prepared for some "fun" mantles....

Tim Kemple's guide to Pawtuckaway is good, and a there was an article in Rock and Ice about LW a year or so ago (it was the one with the poor b*st*rd in Kansas climbing the telephone pole with ice tools on the cover...)

Camping is limited at both, LW is pretty much a urban park, and there may be campgrounds around P'tway, but camping isn't allowed in the park.

And yes, there is are places to eat around both parks...they're in New England....not some wilderness area.

Late spring and Fall are the best times for both. Both can be climbed at during the winter, LW can be better as it gets less snow. P'tway gets more snow, and is colder, the boulders are often located in evergreen stands, ie, less sun. In the Summer; LW is an urban park....boomboxes, screaming childern, etc, and P'tway is buggy, very buggy. Did I mention bugs?

There is also some short roped climbing in P'tuckaway, but with few exceptions I think the bouldering is much better. Roped climbing is prohibited in LW.

ed e

#3657 - 01/28/02 09:29 PM Re: Niagra Glen, Lincoln Woods, Lions Head, and Pawtuckaway [Re: Gymrat]
daryl512 Offline

veteran

Loc: Rochester, NY
Gymrat,
Niagara Glen is pretty much my backyard.......sort of. Anyway I don't really boulder anymore but if you are heading up here I could show you around or hook you up with some friends that are there every weekend.

Daryl

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored