Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#36551 - 04/20/08 12:00 AM pope bs
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
i'm disappointed that so many people are still excited/buying into this bs. i saw a pic of a 4th grader kissing his ring with him looking all smug. it just looked wrong. she had that deer-in-the-headlights (sheep in the headlights)look that most of 'em do. how many more years will it take to wash this crap out? bill maher for president!

#36556 - 04/20/08 11:33 AM Re: pope bs [Re: skillet]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Why not allow people to do and feel as they wish in such matters? What I dislike is the disruption to traffic and all caused by such VIP visitations.

#36557 - 04/20/08 12:49 PM Re: pope bs [Re: oenophore]
skillet Offline
journeyman

noone is stopping anyone from doing what they feel. my commentary was in regard to my disappointment that this crap is still popular (somewhat). the whole pomp and circumstance, the costumes, the money, the repetitious chanting/praying, the child touching. not exactly what JC was aiming for, eh?

#36558 - 04/20/08 01:10 PM Re: pope bs [Re: skillet]
Carpal Tunnel

Quotes from a guy who stated it well:

"Archbishop: a Christian ecclesiastic of a rank superior to that attained by Christ."

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is beautiful and his children smart."

"A man who is an agnostic by inheritance, so that he doesn't remember any time that he wasn't, has almost no hatred for the religious."

(Henry Louis Mencken / 1880-1956)

#36560 - 04/20/08 01:26 PM Re: pope bs [Re: oenophore]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Pope visit to yankee stadium is GREAT for sales for my customers, which GREAT for sales for me!
Religion is BS.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#36562 - 04/20/08 07:40 PM Re: pope bs [Re: empicard]
Carpal Tunnel

Religion is BS.

BS = boosts sales?

#36565 - 04/21/08 01:26 AM Re: pope bs [Re: oenophore]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Catholic church kinda creeps me out. there's a lot of things. but one of the worst (and the strangest) was the Fascist thing I've heard that in the 30's and 40's where the Church claims they were so repressed and victimized. and then there are other accounts by which same Church played right into the Faschists hands and worked with them. I would be interested in delving into this further, if anyone has any good references... let me know...
also I can say I am so lucky not having been raised Catholic... talk about issues?

#36567 - 04/21/08 03:34 AM Re: pope bs [Re: oenophore]
Daniel Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: oenophore
What I dislike is the disruption to traffic and all caused by such VIP visitations.

I wound up walking crosstown both ways on Friday because his synagogue visit screwed up the M66 bus. At least it was a nice day. I guess it saved me a couple of bucks too.

What I don't get is all those people who don't follow his orders on birth control, don't follow his orders on the death penalty, disagree with him on who knows how many other issues ... but then go ga-ga when he comes to town. Not that people can't do what they want--but I don't get it.

I also don't see why it's such a news event. I remember the last time the Pope visited; he made his speeches, talked about various issues, was lauded by the media ... and nothing changed. I'd like to see countries address world problems too, but I don't them changing their ways because the Pope spoke at the UN.

Harrumph.

(Hey, the spell checker recognizes "harrumph"!)

#36591 - 04/21/08 08:39 PM Re: pope bs [Re: Daniel]
skillet Offline
journeyman

he's like that old relative that comes over and everyone gets their shit together for the visit. tells a whole bunch of long winded stories about peace and love and how we should be nice to one another. really??? thanks for stopping by and enlightening us! once he leaves everyone takes off their nice clothes and slumps in a chair and says "whew, won't have to do that for another 5 years". what a dog and pony show! as for the "cafeteria catholics", who pick and choose what they will and won't follow, they are the biggest bunch of self righteous retards going. and there's a lot of them.

Edited by skillet (04/21/08 08:40 PM)

#36592 - 04/21/08 08:47 PM Re: pope bs [Re: skillet]
Carpal Tunnel

Might the visit be deemed good will hunting?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored