Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#3662 - 01/29/02 12:20 AM Europe
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hey,

I am thinking about heading to Europe to do some climbing over spring break. Can anyone recommend some good places to go. It would be nice to go somewhere that is accessible via a train ride but I know this might not be possible. Any one got some ideas?

RS

#3663 - 01/29/02 03:33 AM Re: Europe
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
way too many ideas.
answer these questions and i will give my $0.02
ice or rock? alpine?
sport or trad or aid? or even only bouldering?
do you speak french or spanish or italian or just english?
when is spring break?
wanna go someplace unique or someplace popular?

but i think the train thing will be a problem. rope some other folks into it and rent a car for $20 a day.

my first thoughts: el chorro, buoux, verdon, calanques, ceuse, finale, the place in switzerland, croatia, greece, bleau, chamonix...

#3664 - 01/29/02 04:49 AM Re: Europe [Re: crackers]
Anonymous
Unregistered

i guess I should have been more specific, Sport or Trad, but prefferably trad climbing. I am not gonna have a car. I dont mind hiking and I just dont want to go somewhere where I have to have a car. Easy access is my big thing.

#3665 - 01/29/02 04:50 AM Re: Europe
Anonymous
Unregistered

Oh yeah, I am going march 23.

#3666 - 01/29/02 04:54 AM Re: Europe
merlin Offline
veteran

go to marseille to the calanques
you can access the cliffs via a series of metro/bus trips and then a bit of hiking..

#3667 - 01/29/02 05:49 AM Re: Europe
llewokj Offline
stranger

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Go to Garmisch, Germany...just south of Munich. Lots of multi-pitch trad routes. Some are between 10-15 pitches. All levels of difficulty. I climbed a 9 pitch 5.4 that was incredible.

#3668 - 01/29/02 02:53 PM Re: Calanques
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
I would go to Calanques. There is sport and trad, somewhere more than 1000 climbs. check out http://www.ffme.fr and look for COSIROC which has all the beta you could ask for. You could fly to Marsailles, take buses to the climbing spots every morning.

The potential problem with the Calanques is that the Mistral can blow, and turn off climbing.

I would ask kathy about el chorro. Its supposed to be great, but I have no clue about the weather.

Germany in late march is out. Garmisch will still be a functioning ski area, so...

#3669 - 01/29/02 03:19 PM Re: Europe
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I was going to suggest England, since much of the Peak District region is accessible by public transportation, but I wouldn't trust the weather in March. The less charitable would probably say the same about all 12 months there. Sounds like you're going to have to focus on southern Europe, unless you're one of those Ranger Rob manly types who enjoy the feel of cold, wet rock.
GV

#3670 - 01/29/02 07:24 PM Re: Calanques [Re: crackers]
ryanclan Offline
addict

Loc: NoCal
Yeah, El Chorro is a great place to go during the winter. Actually, some friends went even farther south, stayed in a pensione just below the cliffs and hiked in to do some sick sport shit. PM me for more info and I can hook you up with the info. (Right now, my brain is having a moment without me and I can't think of the name of the place.)

Kathy

#3671 - 01/30/02 01:03 PM Re: Calanques [Re: ryanclan]
BobbyS Offline
enthusiast

Loc: None
El Chorro is right off the train tracks. It is one of the easiest places to get to and there is a great refuge there that you can stay at. Best of all the bar and general store are also right there.

Le Turbie is a 45min bus ride out of Nice and has 1000+ sport routes.

Fountainbleau is 45min. train ride out of Paris.

Chamoniox in France has lots of great accessible rock.

Send me an email if you want any more info.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored