Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#36738 - 04/25/08 02:57 PM Ultras (for EDK and whoever)
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
My BF Steve is doing the VT 100 in July. I think we're going to be at the Pineland Farms Trail Race in Maine for Memorial Day with him doing the 50M and me doing the 50K, which I'm in no way prepared for but figure I can walk if needed. As long as I finish before him. \:\)

I didn't realize you ran ultras. It's a challenge for Steve to balance running and climbing.

#36750 - 04/25/08 06:24 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: dalguard]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Loc: Da Bronx
The Pinelands Race in ME is tempting - I met the race director doing the Bull Run Run 50 in VA 2 weeks ago. He says the race gets more popular every year.
I am doing VT100 too - hope to see you and Steve there. You crewing and/or pacing him?
Lisa

#36752 - 04/25/08 08:01 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: The Lisa]
dalguard Offline
veteran

It looks like I have to work the weekend of the VT 100. I'm still hoping for a reprieve because it'll suck to not be there to support him but as of right now I'm stuck. If I can go, I'll probably crew. There seems to be a lot of competition to pace him and I doubt my ability to keep up with him even after 70 miles.

#36755 - 04/25/08 08:23 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: dalguard]
The Lisa Offline
addict

That would suck if you missed out on it as it is an great experience. Have you guys been to it before?
I crewed and paced a friend at VT100 last year so I know what is ahead of me in my first 100. My entourage is not finalized as yet but I will sort it out.
In the meantime I plan on fitting in long training runs at the Gunks/Minnewaska/Mohonk as well as climbing - tough to fit both as you two know!
At least after the end of July I will be back to shorter races and will do just one a month so that leaves more time for climbing.

#36770 - 04/26/08 09:45 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: dalguard]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
Dawn I hear you on the challenge! I just can't seem to put the two together. I was able to do ultra distance biking with NO problems, but for some reason the running and Triathlons really crimp (pun intended) my Climbing.

Love to meet up with you guys soon to commiserate.

The biggest problem I face is my hamstrings get SO tight when my run volume build over 50-60 MPW that climbing deteriorates or I hurt my back.

I've got a couple more 50's this year and an Ironman - so I don't think I can focus on a 100 - though it is in the cards - I need to put my volunteer time in or run some qualifying races.

You can finsih NP - climber girlz are Tuff!

#36772 - 04/27/08 10:42 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: edk]
korona Offline
journeyman

Loc: NoVA
I'll be doing VT 100 as well.

If anyone is in the DC vicinity between now and then, I'd be happy to do a 30+ training run and share our trails in the Shenandoah / George Washington National Forest.

The Lisa, hope you enjoyed BRR. That's my 'closer in' local training trail!

Cheers, Eric

#36791 - 04/28/08 07:36 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: korona]
dalguard Offline
veteran

OK you guys talked me into it. I told work to go stuff it and I'm going to be crew chief for Steve the VT 100. Any crewing tips or links?

#36793 - 04/28/08 10:29 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: korona]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: korona
The Lisa, hope you enjoyed BRR. That's my 'closer in' local training trail!

This was my second year running BRR and it was as beautiful as ever, although it was HOT and HUMID.

Edited by The Lisa (04/28/08 10:29 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling error

#36794 - 04/28/08 10:37 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: dalguard]
The Lisa Offline
addict

Originally Posted By: dalguard
OK you guys talked me into it. I told work to go stuff it and I'm going to be crew chief for Steve the VT 100. Any crewing tips or links?

You have your priorities right!
There are no doubt plenty of reports on the web for trawl for info. From my experience, the runner should give the crew a list of what to have ready at each aid station - bottle(s) of sports drink ready, number of energy gels, other food, change of shirt/socks/shoes, etc.
There is a deli where you can buy ice and water while heading to the first aid station where you will see your runner. Bring a cooler and fill it with ice, will keep food and water cool.
Other equipment:
folding chairs - for crew mainly, and for the runner if they need to change shoes/socks or just to have a rest. The crew does a LOT of sitting around so might as well be comfortable.
Basin - fill it with water to wash feet, this is so refreshing.
Changes of clothes - sweaty clothes chafe so it is good to put on clean ones every so often. It may get chilly at night even in July so be prepared with warmer stuff.
Headlamp and batteries! Unless he is so fast that he will finish before nightfall. \:\)

#36796 - 04/28/08 11:37 PM Re: Ultras (for EDK and whoever) [Re: The Lisa]
korona Offline
journeyman

Loc: NoVA
Run 100s has some helpful crew reports:

http://www.run100s.com/reports/

(A keyword search for crew on the above page will quickly bring these reports up)

A lot will likely depend on how your runner is feeling that day -- something that may be difficult to predict. My wife kindly crewed for me at the Umstead 100 earlier this month. I found the best part of her crewing was knowing that I would see her at the aid station every 12.5 miles. I was in and out of the aid stations quickly (often in a minute or less). Still, anticipating seeing her and then seeing / receiving encouragement, no matter how quickly, was a great boost.

--Eric

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored