Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (Coppertone, 1 invisible), 13 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#3681 - 01/29/02 05:52 PM New River conditions in early March?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Anyone know what the temps and rock conditons are like for the New River Gorge in the first few weeks of March?

Thanks.

#3682 - 01/29/02 06:10 PM Re: New River conditions in early March?
Arms Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: WV, near NRG and Seneca
Generally cold, cloudy, and wet. You can get good weather any time of year though. Just have to keep checking weather.com.

#3683 - 01/29/02 09:55 PM Re: New River conditions in early March?
pjbuehner Offline

Loc: Maine
I agree with the other post. Going in the early spring is a total crapshoot. I used to go every April and then gave up because half the time I got rained out (or snowed)
That isn't to say you couldn't be in your shorts with 65 degrees. It's just that the odds were to high against it.
I have had much better luck in May.

If you do go, and it is raining, either go to Red River in Kentucky where there is stuff steep enough to climb in the rain (5.11 and up) or it sometimes is still ok in Seneca- but then you need to bring your rack. No matter what others say, Seneca is a trad climbing area. There are bolts, but bolts don't make an area a sport destination.
Good luck.

#3684 - 01/30/02 05:17 PM Re: New River conditions in early March?
han_solo Offline
addict

Loc: Central PA
The past two march's i went to the new and the red. at the new the weather was great in early march. when we got to the red it was snowing/raining and cold as hell around early march. the weeks before and after we were there were all in the 70s so i would suggest just keeping an eye on the weather either place you go. we still climbed at the red all week long through the snow, i was difficult to complete a good redpoint due to the cold weather because my hands felt like icicles. i agree as well about seneca, this place is serious so don't go unless you have a lot of multipitch expierience and i would go there just to sport climb, bring your trad rack and your balls.
frank

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored