Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 20 of 21 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 >
Topic Options
#37712 - 06/10/08 08:00 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: The Lisa]
TrippleB Offline

Loc: NY
 Originally Posted By: The Lisa
No, no, no don't punish the people involved. Remember ours is a culture of victimhood. It is not their fault High E has The Move. I say bolt High E from ground to top, turn it into a sport climb. With many many rap anchors. ;\)

but we are also a culture of entitlement, and if we don't punish the non-conformists how do the holier than thous get their deserved free swag?

#37736 - 06/11/08 04:07 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: RangerRob]
phil Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
 Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Hasn't anyone here ever fallen with ice tools and crampons on their person? How about screws. You'd be falling with about 26 knives. This is not as big a deal as you all make it out to be. Get a life and go do something with it.

RR

I have no idea what you're talking about?

Official life time member of team Kersplat!

#38029 - 06/26/08 10:39 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: yellowhouse]
budman Offline
stranger

Loc: UT.
Gotta love this stuff. Being a Gunkie from some years ago I just had too. Like the old addage, EVERYBODY"S GOT ONE, here goes. Was there clear and present danger, don't think so. Screaming second under an overhang, a problem for the ears but not much more. Cutting a rope is a last resort. Area in which the incident happened well traveled and busy, go get help if you don't know self-rescue. If the primary anchor for the troubled person was in question, back it up. I was giong to list options but the sky is the limit, KEEP IT SIMPLE. What are people going to do in the backcountry? Learn, learn, learn and keep learning. Oh yeh, listen to the wise old people.

#38049 - 06/27/08 01:43 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: budman]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

"What are people going to do in the backcountry?"

...somehow I doubt that anyone from team 1 is the backcountry sort.....But good attempt at thread rejuvenation. With the crappy weekend forecast, maybe it'll get some respsnses.

#38059 - 06/27/08 04:35 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: phil]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Team Kursplat!!! now I almost forgot about that.
who else here besides me (also a member) has the requisite qualifications to apply for membership???
I think you can guess what the qualifications are...

#38065 - 06/27/08 05:36 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: phlan]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
What's the minimum groundfall height for Kersplat membership? I'm guessing 15 feet. Looks like I don't qualify.

#38066 - 06/27/08 05:37 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: pedestrian]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Richie should be, like Secretary-General of team Kersplat.

#38067 - 06/27/08 05:38 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: pedestrian]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
I do have suitably framed certificate on my wall signed by the prez himself

#38068 - 06/27/08 05:42 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: d-elvis]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I kersplated once from the little overhang on Hyjek's (foot popped), back before there were mini-cams and after the pin got pulled as "unneccessary". Does that count, or does it have to be higher?

#38071 - 06/27/08 05:54 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: chip]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: chip
I kersplated once from the little overhang on Hyjek's (foot popped), back before there were mini-cams and after the pin got pulled as "unneccessary". Does that count, or does it have to be higher?

<thread drift>
Don't know if it counts, but that move could be well protected with the existing gear of the 90's when the pin vanished*. A #4 RP goes in really well in the base of the tiny V slot near where the pin was. One of the small Metolius TCU's can be placed off to the left. Up at the overhang, a #4 and #5 Chouinard stopper can be opposed - the bigger one from the back pulled forward, the smaller on the front side of the little horizontal at the o-hang pulled right.

Note: sizes are based on the sizes of what was available in the 90's - have no idea how that maps onto newer gear.

*: iirc, the pin broke, it wasn't pulled. The stub was visible in the crack for some years afterward. Because of what I described above, it was deemed unnecessary and wasn't replaced.
</thread drift>

Page 20 of 21 < 1 2 ... 18 19 20 21 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored