Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 21 >
Topic Options
#37233 - 05/27/08 08:04 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: phlan]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
I heard 'em too. Amazing screaming...and I think I heard the girl and her two friends talking about it on the way down. I heard the girl saying "...when i cut the rope..." and while the active part of my mind latched onto the phrase, I couldn't believe that is what I had heard.

I think I know how to find them. I'll see what comes out of it...

#37234 - 05/27/08 08:14 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: crackers]
GOclimb Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Boston
To cast a broader net for info, I created this thread. I wouldn't count on anything useful coming from it, but it might.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_view&post=1900322#last

AliceX4, if you don't want me quoting your post, I'll remove it.

GO

#37236 - 05/27/08 08:22 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: yellowhouse]
wombat Offline

Loc: gardiner
if everyone drove like yellowhouse, there might be more of an outcry.

i'm with phlan - die somewhere else, i was involved in a fatal rafting episode and not looking to repeat it climbing. but if someone is dumb in front of me, i will make an observation. i have saved one newby from rapping off the rope prepared by his "leader". i think he appreciated it, even if his leader didnt after i told him off.

#37238 - 05/27/08 08:52 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: wombat]
phlan Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I'm not going to tell someone how to belay if I see a sloppy belay - just to clarify. If someone has their rappel rigged wrong and is about to commit to the rappel for example - now that's another story. I will firmly intervene and take control of the situation. So, I'm not in agreement that we have to "police" ourselves.

#37239 - 05/27/08 08:53 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: alicex4]
timh Offline

Loc: Delaware
The real scary part is that someone, somewhere, is probably congratulating themselves on their "rescue".

#37240 - 05/27/08 08:53 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: wombat]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
I think that Dan was so tired from telling this story by Sunday he only had enough energy to give one belay and not climb.

#37241 - 05/27/08 08:57 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: phlan]
Dillbag Offline
old hand

Loc: "The Town"
I'll intervene if there is the "experienced" climber telling or doing something unsafe with a noob, generally quietly directly to the noob...
If it's two "experienced" climbers and one has a nice open-handed belay but the other doesn't seem to care... well, that's their deal.

But it really depends, if I'm just dropping my pack on the ground at the base of a climb and something stupid seems to be going on... Usually the command of "run-away" in a Monty Python type voice gets repeated as we escape the situation...
But if we've already begun the climb and can't run-away, that's when I will open my mouth and say something... Because at least then, if something bad does happen, I said something...

#37242 - 05/27/08 09:11 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: Dillbag]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
If I'd been in the neighborhood, I'd have helped, but I certainly wouldn't have been shouting over advice from MT. Who knows what was going on there? Until we hear from one of the two parties involved, we're only guessing.

If the two seconds were attached to the same rope (someone said cow's tail), then the lower second was weighting the middle person, not the leader's belay device. In that case, the middle person needed to drop onto the rope so the top leader could do something. We really don't know yet. There could have been a legitimately stuck rope. The lower second could have been within grabbing range. For all the screaming, it sounds like everyone survived and that counts as a successful rescue to me. The fate of the rope isn't important.

FWIW, I hate commotion while I'm leading too. I always feel very selfishly like I should be getting the golf hush.

#37243 - 05/27/08 09:27 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: timh]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
Screw it.
Who cares what other people think?
I'll get right up in someone's biz if I see someone doing something stupid.
Such as "Hey buddy, ever heard of a 'degloving?' You might want to lose the ring." followed by a load of other "You obviously have no business on Laurel, mr rack-for-salathe-and-clueless-belayer-holding-the-rope-and-not-spotting-you, go climb something else."

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#37244 - 05/27/08 09:29 PM Re: Screaming Girl/High E/Cut Rope [Re: dalguard]
Terrie Offline
enthusiast

Or, the one from outer space could have prussiked up the rope. Well, if they had the goods, and the knowledge on how to do it.

One hour on rc.com and only 12 posts. The place just ain't what it used to be, although J_ung looks like he's committed and set his lawnchair up early like a spectator for the 4th of July fireworks on the FRD.

Page 4 of 21 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 20 21 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored